Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
recycled/repurposed Denim projects >

recycled/repurposed Denim projects

recycled/repurposed Denim projects

Old 02-27-2011, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Carron
Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
I have to do a class for my OHCE group on recycled denim.
While I use denim all the time for repurposed items, I was wondering, what is YOUR favorite thing to use old jeans, jumpers and skirts to make?

I love shopping bags! and rugs!
I make pins and refridgerator magnets from denim. Really simple.....You will be surprised at how very light in weight they are once dried. The color gets a bit lighter also. You can spray with a clear lacquar after dried and this will darken the color somewhat.
Once you objects are dry glue on a pin on the back to wear or glue on a strip of magnet for the refridgerator also you can add a loop at top and run a ribbon through it so it can be hung. Picture #1 cut denim into small sections, this takes less time to process...do not use the strecthy denim.
#2...add about one half (½) cup chopped denim to blender and water about 3 cups. The denim will absorb lots. Turn on blender and let run until denim is no longer in seperate pieces. Depending on blender this could be more than 30 seconds
#3 it will look like a blob....
#4 press this mess into a cookie cuttier, it will be dripping so prepare a place to collect the water.
#5 once the cookie cutter is full and you have pressed as much water out as possible place item on a wire rack. If left on paper towel or the likes it will take longer to dry. Leave to air dry which could take a few days depending on house temperature. You could place in a warm oven but not too high, it will burn otherwise.
#6 Finished.
That is amazing!
Old 02-27-2011, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by peggymunday
I love all the ideas on here! I can't wait to try some of these. I have some denim saved back (I never throw anything away, lol) and I'm thinking about going to get more while I can at a cheap price. This thrift store I found in Caruthersville, MO with the big garbage sized bags that you can fill up for a $1 from certain bins...they always have plenty of jeans and jean material jackets/shirts, etc. Since I have the room (big ol' Victorian) I think I should, especially with all this talk about fabric prices increasing.... Can't beat this price!
This was my latest project using denim - a rag quilt, approx 36x42, made from 8" squares of assorted denim, backed in flannel squares and then free motion quilted in each square.

Do you need special clipers to do rag quilts?
Old 02-27-2011, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by jkrzemi
Originally Posted by peggymunday
I love all the ideas on here! I can't wait to try some of these. I have some denim saved back (I never throw anything away, lol) and I'm thinking about going to get more while I can at a cheap price. This thrift store I found in Caruthersville, MO with the big garbage sized bags that you can fill up for a $1 from certain bins...they always have plenty of jeans and jean material jackets/shirts, etc. Since I have the room (big ol' Victorian) I think I should, especially with all this talk about fabric prices increasing.... Can't beat this price!
This was my latest project using denim - a rag quilt, approx 36x42, made from 8" squares of assorted denim, backed in flannel squares and then free motion quilted in each square.

Do you need special clipers to do rag quilts?
No, just sharp scissors, careful cutting and a strong hand. I used a smaller pair than my usual scissors, it opened at the right length to snip the edges, when it was opened comfortably. It does take a bit of time to get all the edges clipped.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:23 PM
Banned

What Fun! Here is a pincushion I made :-)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-119668.jpe  
Old 02-27-2011, 06:25 PM

I am working on a scrap and denim cirle quilt now and will post a pic when I am done.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by dashton4
Love your pincushion! Is there a pattern someplace?
Old 02-27-2011, 07:10 PM

Very Cute dashton4

Cookie
Old 02-27-2011, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by dashton4
Your pincushion is just too cute!
Old 02-27-2011, 07:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cookie64
Very Cute dashton4

Cookie
Thanks! The two pieces are from the same piece of denim but the top one is turned upside down so the wrong side is showing.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:30 AM

Love your pincushion Darcy. Thank you for posting the pattern. I make pincushions all the time and never would have thought of using denim. Great idea! :-D