Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
recycled/repurposed Denim projects >

recycled/repurposed Denim projects

recycled/repurposed Denim projects

Old 02-24-2011, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by doowopddbop
Here are a couple of my denim/cord/khaki projects. I made the kite quilt when I first started to quilt and was too cheap to spend any money on fabrics. And I hated the idea of just making squares from denim. My Denim Tsunami (Giant Storm at Sea) quilt pattern evolved when my sister wanted to make a denim quilt for her son going off to college. Then I made one for my own son as he left for college and later joined the Army Reserves. That's why I made his with blacks and beiges. I sell the Tsunami pattern on my website.
Your quilts are gorgeous.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:22 PM

Nice projects. I have done purses, totes and 1 quilt.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by kellen46
Originally Posted by mrs_uncle_fuzzy
I saw some great aprons made out of old jeans at a craft fair and have been looking for a pattern but have yet to find it they also had some made of old bib overalls. They added cotton print fabric in places, for the pockets and waist band if I remember correctly.
here is a picture of one of the aprons I have made out of bib overalls. The neat thing is you get two aprons from one overall. I like to giddy them up with lots of left over bit and pieces.
Great apron! I have tried to figure out how to do this but can't seem to wrap my mind around it! Is there a pattern somewhere I can buy for this or a tutorial on line somewhere. I have searched but have yet to find one that looks anything as good as this?
Old 02-24-2011, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jenni M
What great ideas! I am struggling with getting rid of my son's t shirts and jeans. I'd love to make some quilts from his clothing but I don't know if I am emotionally strong enough to do it. He passed away a little over a year ago at 26 from complication with diabetes. I'd love to cuddle up in is clothes. Hard to even finish this post just thinking about it.
I am so sorry to hear about your son I personally know how difficult this can be to go through. I did eventually make a quilt of some of my sons clothing to give to his brother. It did take me almost 14 yrs after his death to be able to do this. I tried to start it many times and would end up huging his clothes to my chest or burying my face in them and crying on the floor. I know this quilt will mean the world to you, but my advice is take your time don't try to do it before you are strong enough to take some pleasure in what you are doing in his memory. God bless you and your family.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:03 PM

Some things that pop in my mind when you asked that I have seen was a curtain at a friends home it covered a closet where she kept her stash. The part I really liked was she had saved all of the pockets and sewed them on the jean curtain to Keep small things in. I have seen aprons made from jeans where you cut across the knees and cut off all of the backs and have ties at the waist and around the knees. Great for your gardening friends. Here in Ok the purses made from jeans are so great. You can get a ton of stuff in them. Good luck with your venture.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:06 PM

This is so pretty. I like how you really used the different colors. They make good quilts for your favorite hunter, or fisherman. The grasss can be brushed off.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
I have to do a class for my OHCE group on recycled denim.
While I use denim all the time for repurposed items, I was wondering, what is YOUR favorite thing to use old jeans, jumpers and skirts to make?

I love shopping bags! and rugs!
I make pins and refridgerator magnets from denim. Really simple.....You will be surprised at how very light in weight they are once dried. The color gets a bit lighter also. You can spray with a clear lacquar after dried and this will darken the color somewhat.
Once you objects are dry glue on a pin on the back to wear or glue on a strip of magnet for the refridgerator also you can add a loop at top and run a ribbon through it so it can be hung. Picture #1 cut denim into small sections, this takes less time to process...do not use the strecthy denim.
#2...add about one half (½) cup chopped denim to blender and water about 3 cups. The denim will absorb lots. Turn on blender and let run until denim is no longer in seperate pieces. Depending on blender this could be more than 30 seconds
#3 it will look like a blob....
#4 press this mess into a cookie cuttier, it will be dripping so prepare a place to collect the water.
#5 once the cookie cutter is full and you have pressed as much water out as possible place item on a wire rack. If left on paper towel or the likes it will take longer to dry. Leave to air dry which could take a few days depending on house temperature. You could place in a warm oven but not too high, it will burn otherwise.
#6 Finished.

chop into small lpieces
[ATTACH=CONFIG]115561[/ATTACH]

add to blender
[ATTACH=CONFIG]115562[/ATTACH]

looks like yuck
[ATTACH=CONFIG]115563[/ATTACH]

air dry
[ATTACH=CONFIG]115564[/ATTACH]

press into cookie cutter
[ATTACH=CONFIG]115829[/ATTACH]

and it is done
[ATTACH=CONFIG]115963[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-115556.jpe   attachment-115557.jpe   attachment-115558.jpe   attachment-115559.jpe   attachment-115824.jpe  

attachment-115958.jpe  
Old 02-24-2011, 06:47 PM
Power Poster

Looks like I will have to give it a try! Thanks Carron.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:50 PM

I love the totes...
Old 02-24-2011, 06:59 PM

Great apron! I have tried to figure out how to do this but can't seem to wrap my mind around it! Is there a pattern somewhere I can buy for this or a tutorial on line somewhere. I have searched but have yet to find one that looks anything as good as this?[/quote]
here is a picture of one of the aprons I have made out of bib overalls. The neat thing is you get two aprons from one overall. I like to giddy them up with lots of left over bit and pieces.[/quote]

I really just don't have a pattern. Just get a pair of bib overalls from the thrift shop and split it up the side seams. split the front up to the crotch and then the crotch seam up until you can overlap the curve, one over the other to make it lay flat. Go to Nancy Zieman's web site and look for the video of her show on reusing denim. See how she deconstructs blue jeans. She does have a apron on there I believe. What have you got to lose by just experimenting, only some time and the few dollars you spend on the bibs. That is what I did. You might come up with a different way to do this that no one else has thought of.
She also has a book if you need it. . There are several books out there on the subject so research that if you need a pattern.