Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Refurbished" Quilt - Thrift Store Find >

"Refurbished" Quilt - Thrift Store Find

"Refurbished" Quilt - Thrift Store Find

Old 03-04-2013, 11:58 AM
Power Poster

I'm with you - too many times, a quilt goes to someone who definitely doesn't appreciate all the work that goes into making a quilt. It's too bad that they couldn't find a quilt guild that might be able to help you find a loving recipient for that quilt. Imagine how I felt when I got a picture in a Christmas card with my nephew and his dog, lying on the floor on top of one of the family reunion quilts that I had made. I realize the quilts have more meaning for other family members, but lying on the floor with the dog? Please. I'm glad you were there to rescue that quilt.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:49 PM

I made a quilt for a new GGD last year. The parents lived in a very small apartment. Her mother just loved the quilt, but didn't know what to use it for since it was fairly big. One day she used it for a rug. She wanted to display it, but didn't have anywhere to do that. It didn't hurt my feelings, I just told her not to walk on it with shoes on, and be careful. She put it up. Sometimes people just don't know how to treat things. Marge D, when I read your post, I was thinking maybe they wanted to show the quilt off, and meant no disrespect.
Sue
Old 03-04-2013, 01:03 PM

Any quilt I make is meant to be loved and used, not put away to "save" it. If the intended recipient can't use it for whatever reason, then I hope they will regift it or donate it where it can be loved and used. So glad you found this one and are rescuing it.
MargeD - I'm thinking your family members were wanting to show off your lovely quilt by including it in the Christmas card photo. I would be greatly honored if someone did that with one of mine.

Last edited by mom-6; 03-04-2013 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Additional thoughts
Old 03-04-2013, 04:08 PM

Wish I could find one of these bargains. Years ago I went to a convention center where they were selling all sorts of handmade projects. A quilt caught my eye and on closer examination I found it had pretty huge stitches which were also uneven and not spaced with any eye for precision (as we quilters like to have them). I found out it had been done by a very elderly lady whose vision was not as good as it could have been, etc. To make a story short, I bought that quilt and it has been one of my most valued ones. I like to think that someone will not be too particular about my own stitching in the future. So hurrah for your picking up a bargain at the thrift store....someone most likely made that for a loved one....and somehow it got cast aside. But YOU found it....Bravo!
Old 03-04-2013, 05:34 PM

These are all grest stories and I have mine....made a "Mariner's" pattern quilt for my father for his 80th birthday (papa passed in 2000). He was a" Merchant Marine" all his working yrs. I embroidered lots of memories of his life, taking my son fishing and doing things grandfathers and grandsons do. It was one of the first quilts I had made...straight stitched it to death..
To make a story short, the last I saw of it my son (who loved this quilt ) used it to cover the fireplace brick so the baby wouldn't get hurt... too funny.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:45 PM

I did one time, and when I finally dug into it, it had poly batting that had completely disintegrated into dust. Had to redo the whole thing instead of refurbish, But, it was still fun because it was such an old quilt
Old 03-04-2013, 07:27 PM

I found a cute baby one at a resale shop. Undid what little quilting there was, added new borders, sandwiched and then quilted it. I then washed it and all the stains came out. Gifted it to a friend for her newly arrived granddaughter. Last I heard, the quilt was being used. And if not, then I hope they regifted it or donated it so someone else could have the pleasure of that quilt.
Chris
Old 03-04-2013, 07:50 PM
Banned

All the quilts I have that I didn`t make myself, I found at thrift stores or yard sales. I have found many lovely ones and some planner ones. I display them on a bookshelf and on my chairs and beds and they are used. I do have several that I have to do some repair work on, mostly baby quilts . One of my favorite is a beautiful detailed pattern I don`t know the name of but the workmanship is lovely. I paid less than $10 for most of them, one $25.00 and one $50.00...that one is a scrap quilt with a lot of white and it`s immaculate. I can`t believe how lucky I am finding these, and love to give them a new home where I can enjoy their beauty.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:10 PM

Growing up my daughter thought the Thrift store was a treasure box! We did not have a big income, and because people donated things like the quilt, she had things that would not have come from either extended family...how nice that the woman was willing to share with someone she didn't know. As for not being used, if there were stains, it certainly had been used.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:46 PM

One time i was browsing in an upscale 2nd hand store and found a beautiful full size quilt. Hand embroidered blocks, hand quilted, hand bound. So lovely. Like new, but a nice old patina to it. (No rips stains, missing stiches, worn areas, but washed until very soft, puckered all over, and just slightly faded.) ten bucks! Unfortunately I didn't have 10 bucks. I did take it to the owner, asked him who did his pricing. He did. I told him it was vastly underpriced. He thanked me kindly, then gave it to me. Next time I went in, he had a trunk of old quilts for $50.00 each. Said he bought all he could find, sold like hotcakes at $50.