Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Removing Front Cover from a Brother Sewing Machine >

Removing Front Cover from a Brother Sewing Machine

Removing Front Cover from a Brother Sewing Machine

Old 12-10-2018, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
my first thought is that you may void your machine's warranty
I'm sure it will void the warranty. I have an OSMG who works on some computerized models especially Berninas. He used to be a Bernina dealer before he retired. Does an awesome job.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:48 PM
Power Poster

The best money I have spent on my Bernina was to pay a tech (cash) to come to my house and show me how to take off the housing, clean and oil, what to avoid, and what to watch out for. My very old Bernina 1260 is still sewing like new and has never been in the shop for repair. I deep clean and oil it regularly. It would cost me about $120 per cleaning at the shop now. The light switch won't work but I never turned it off when I'm sewing anyway. I don't think I'd do it for the new high end machines but for the mid level I would pay a tech to give me a lesson. After the warranty is over, who cares.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:16 AM

If you are looking for a repairman - New England Sewing in Manchester, CT works on all brands of sewing machines, both new and vintage. John may even tell you how to get the cover off if you give him a call. Best of luck
Old 12-11-2018, 04:47 AM

I would do it if it's out of warranty. Go slow, take photo's of every step, there will be hidden screws that will allow you to dig deeper into the machine. Take photos so you'll know how to put it back together. I recently did this with a Janome serger. It turned out to be quite easy. Not all screws needed a screw driver, some needed allen wrenches. I found a lot dust and dirt, thread and was amazed at how easy it was to put back together.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:05 AM

I have that machine, and my guess is, that since you can't even oil it yourself, you're not supposed to try taking the cover off, either. It annoys me that this machine is designed to be serviced, oiled, cleaned only by a serviceman.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:44 PM

You can take the front cover off, but you have to be careful. Basically, the machine front and back covers both come apart at the same time, splitting the machine in half. You have to be very careful, because there are tiny little plugs that can come unplugged if you separate the two halves too much. Also..if you decide to do this..it is important that when you put it back together, the presser foot has to be in the down position..if it is not, then your feed dogs won't work when you go to sew.As others have said, if it's under warranty, I'd go that route..if it's out of warranty, and you are secure in your ability to take it apart and reassemble it, then you really can't hurt it as long as you're careful.