Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Removing Front Cover from a Brother Sewing Machine

Removing Front Cover from a Brother Sewing Machine

I have a Brother model NX450 computerized machine. I've tried to remove the front cover but I stopped when I got resistance. The reason I want to take off the front cover is because sometimes thread will get caught in the thread pathway. I'm referring to the path way that goes from the thread spool and then up and over until the thread is picked up by the thread take up lever and then it comes down to the needle. I've removed several small pieces of thread from the pathway by using a pair of tweezers. But I'd really like to be able to remove the front cover - without totally messing up the machine in some way - because it is really difficult to get in there with the cover on.

Has anyone here figured out how to remove the front cover from these "modern" computerized machines without breaking the cover?

Maybe try through brother Facebook group. I have never done it but I am sure many on there have
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

They're really not made for the consumer to open. They have hidden screws deep inside the machine. If you don't know what you're doing, you can sever the cables that connect to the circuit board. I would recommend taking it to a Brother dealer.
    Annette in Utah

I use a pipe cleaner to get stuff out of that area.
    Sandra B

I use unwaxed dental floss to run through this area. You can pull it back and forth until the area is clean..
    LilaKay...greatgramma to Brielle Mae

Blog Entries
    my first thought is that you may void your machine's warranty
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I don't have computerized machine. Don't think I would take the cover off.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I am having the same problem with my Juki. Will try pipe cleaner and dental floss. Good ideas.
    granna of 5

You can buy the proper screwdrivers. Just go slowly and carefully. My options have been to hand my precious machines off to someone I will never meet or know the name of (they're just"sent out") or to someone that's pompous and not overbright. I downloaded the repair manual and got the tools I needed. At least I care about the outcome and not a bit about making myself look important.

charlotte

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    That was my first thought as well. Be careful!
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    I'm sure it will void the warranty. I have an OSMG who works on some computerized models especially Berninas. He used to be a Bernina dealer before he retired. Does an awesome job.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

The best money I have spent on my Bernina was to pay a tech (cash) to come to my house and show me how to take off the housing, clean and oil, what to avoid, and what to watch out for. My very old Bernina 1260 is still sewing like new and has never been in the shop for repair. I deep clean and oil it regularly. It would cost me about $120 per cleaning at the shop now. The light switch won't work but I never turned it off when I'm sewing anyway. I don't think I'd do it for the new high end machines but for the mid level I would pay a tech to give me a lesson. After the warranty is over, who cares.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    If you are looking for a repairman - New England Sewing in Manchester, CT works on all brands of sewing machines, both new and vintage. John may even tell you how to get the cover off if you give him a call. Best of luck

I would do it if it's out of warranty. Go slow, take photo's of every step, there will be hidden screws that will allow you to dig deeper into the machine. Take photos so you'll know how to put it back together. I recently did this with a Janome serger. It turned out to be quite easy. Not all screws needed a screw driver, some needed allen wrenches. I found a lot dust and dirt, thread and was amazed at how easy it was to put back together.

I have that machine, and my guess is, that since you can't even oil it yourself, you're not supposed to try taking the cover off, either. It annoys me that this machine is designed to be serviced, oiled, cleaned only by a serviceman.

You can take the front cover off, but you have to be careful. Basically, the machine front and back covers both come apart at the same time, splitting the machine in half. You have to be very careful, because there are tiny little plugs that can come unplugged if you separate the two halves too much. Also..if you decide to do this..it is important that when you put it back together, the presser foot has to be in the down position..if it is not, then your feed dogs won't work when you go to sew.As others have said, if it's under warranty, I'd go that route..if it's out of warranty, and you are secure in your ability to take it apart and reassemble it, then you really can't hurt it as long as you're careful.