Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Removing paper from paper piecing quilts >

Removing paper from paper piecing quilts

Removing paper from paper piecing quilts

Old 06-26-2015, 10:10 AM
Power Poster

Wasn't sure if this link was going to work.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:12 AM
Power Poster

Aha! it worked.
Old 06-26-2015, 01:42 PM

I did paper piecing a few times with lovely results, but the paper removal is such a pain that I will probably never use this method again. I have a friend who uses a technique called "paperless" piecing where you fold the paper out of the way somehow and she has made some fantastic quilt tops.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:44 PM

I really like the results of paper piecing. I have several Judy Niemeyer patterns printed on newsprint. She is good with here directions as to when you can tear the paper off. I only leave it on long enough to stabilize the sewing. I sew with either 1.5 or 1.6 stitch length. I have a marvelous combo called Rip Tweezers. The ripper is on one end, used to start the paper coming off, and the tweezers are on the other end, to grab those small pieces. It does take a while to get the paper off, but the end results are worth it, at least to me. My friend goes into a room and has a shop vac in there. She and her 5 year old granddaughter tear the paper off, then she vacuums. It's a lot quicker when you don't have to worry about getting the paper into a garbage can. lol
Old 06-26-2015, 03:03 PM

Very interesting reading; I am so glad you ask the question Barb. I am going to be doing the 3rd trail ride with the third book of Laurie Aaron Hird Farmer's Wife Sampler 1930 with the group on QB beginning August 4th. Yes, the majority of the 99 blocks will be paper pieced. Each block is six inches finished, so many tiny pieces of paper left on the inside of the block even if I use Carol Doak's paper packets. I cannot sew too small of a stitch and rip it out, so I steam press each block and use Best Press...no problem removing the paper.

Several of us have done the other two books together, and more are joining us, so it will be fun, doing two blocks a week. Honchey is leading us one more time, and always has helpful hints on the blocks. Others contribute as well, making it a merry time together. Each doing it their way, with whatever scraps they have in their stash...e.i., batiks, reproduction, civil war scraps.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:13 AM

I use a tracing wheel, the kind you use with tracing paper to mark garments that you sew, to score the paper along the stitching lines. Really makes it easier to remove the paper.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:56 AM

I use newsprint, and a reduced stitch size when I paper piece. I also remove the paper from the blocks before I sew them together.

By far my easiest method is to leave the blocks sitting next to my husband's recliner - he removes paper while watching tv.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:08 AM

I use a flat white eraser, often found in the art department. It is about 1" x 2" and rub it gently across the paper seams. Works like a charm............then use the vacuum hose to clean up the floor, LOL.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:03 AM

Quilt police...look the other way, lol ... I leave the tiny bits that are at the seams...I've done a double wedding ring that has Seminole triangles in the arcs, and have washed the quilt several times with no lumping.

Get a damp cloth, or a spray bottle of water...and lightly mist the paper. It will pull away much easier. Those little bits can be taken out with tweezers... but, I had a leg injury & was in no mood to pull them out, sitting in a recliner. So I left them.

Originally Posted by pahega View Post
I just finished my first paper piecing project. It is a throw made up of 64 blocks with 13 pieces to each block. I have the blocks sewn together and am now needing to remove the paper. I was shown to leave the paper on until the blocks are sewn together. I started to take the paper off last night and realized what a time consuming job it was going to be--a lot of pieces and some very tiny 1/4 inch specks that are sewn in the seam intersections under and in-between the seams. What is the fasted and best way to remove all of these paper pieces?
Old 06-27-2015, 11:45 AM

The back of a seam ripper ran down the line of stitching works well for me.