Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Renaissance Wax

Renaissance Wax

Has anyone used this wax on the HQ Studio Frame rails? I am wondering how well it works if at all? It is recommended by Quilter’s Apothecary. Thank you

I just rub crumpled up wax paper on my rails.

Are you waxing metal rails? My frame has an inset area of plastic/nylon that the carriage wheels run along.
    Or do you wax the plastic/nylon part?
    A husband is the perfect confidant to tell your secrets to - he can't reveal them to anyone else because he wasn't really listening when you told him!

Quote Originally Posted by GEMRM View Post
    Are you waxing metal rails? My frame has an inset area of plastic/nylon that the carriage wheels run along.
    Or do you wax the plastic/nylon part?
    I am curious too
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
    I just rub crumpled up wax paper on my rails.
    Same here.

Back when I worked retail, we would rub crumpled wax paper on the clothes racks. Helps the hangers slide easier. Also helps light bulbs screw in smoother, too.

My rails are metal, aluminum I believe. I clean them with rubbing alcohol on a scrap of batting and that usually picks up some black residue. Then I crumple up wax paper and rub it back and forth on them. I also clean the wheels of my carriage with rubbing alcohol on a Q-Tip and clean the rubber on my encoder wheels the same way. My carriage wheels are some sort of plastic, but I am only waxing the rails which are metal. I don't know if waxing plastic parts would make a difference.

This may not work for every rack. I do know that Jamie Wallen of Quilters Apothecary currently quilts on an Innova which is probably why he recommends waxing the rails. I also quilt on an Innova. I can't see buying a special wax for that when the wax paper works just fine.

I will try the wax paper. Thanks for the idea everyone!

Blog Entries
    Peckish...love your ideas. I have a women’s clothing boutique in Maine and we will give the wax paper rub a try.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Banned
    Using rubbing alcohol on any sort of rubber or plastic is a bad idea. It will dry it out and make it susceptible to crumbling or breaking.
    This topic has been popular on FB for a few days, and Handi Quilter has said it does not recommend waxing any part of their frames.

Cari

Quote Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
    Peckish...love your ideas. I have a women’s clothing boutique in Maine and we will give the wax paper rub a try.
    I had a friend who worked in a ladies clothing store - she said they used to do this to make the hanger slide easier, but also to stop them from squeaking/squealing when the hangers were moved along the racks.
    A husband is the perfect confidant to tell your secrets to - he can't reveal them to anyone else because he wasn't really listening when you told him!

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Was told by my Gammill tech not to wax or use alcohol on the rails--not great for the aluminum rails or the wheels. Said to just clean with a good microfiber cloth instead

I use it all the time. LOVE it.