Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
replacement handwheel needed for Brother Nouvelle 1500S >

replacement handwheel needed for Brother Nouvelle 1500S

replacement handwheel needed for Brother Nouvelle 1500S

Old 11-21-2020, 11:39 PM

Default replacement handwheel needed for Brother Nouvelle 1500S

Its for sale for a ridiculously low price on Facebook marketplace. Only problem they mention is that it doesn't have a handwheel. When I asked what happened to it I was told the kids took it off. Granted I am older but - what? Why would they do that? He says it still runs. I replied I would need to find a replacement handwheel which I haven't found yet, check the price and test drive it. I know it's older but for $125 it might be worth looking into. Any thoughts or advice?
Old 11-22-2020, 12:55 AM
Power Poster

I would skip it unless you could test it for all of it’s functions including a good run at FMQ if you wan t to do that. There may be another reason it doesn’t have a hand wheel. Dropped? I bought a used nouvelle and had the opportunity to test it. Straight stitched fine. The little I tried the FMQ I thought it was fine. But on a real project it broke thread every few minutes. I tried every thread/needle
combination and finally took it in. It had a damaged hook. I traded it in in the newer version and never had a problem again.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

It had to be an older child to take it off. Why would an older child do that if not to poke around once it's off.. The new hand wheel usually doesn't have the hardware with it, you'll have to find that to fit or find a repairman and pay a repair and part fee plus anything else wrong with it. I would offer $50 not a penny more. The seller has to absorb the deed of the kid not pass it on to someone else.

Last edited by Onebyone; 11-22-2020 at 10:44 AM.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
I would skip it unless you could test it for all of it’s functions including a good run at FMQ if you wan t to do that. There may be another reason it doesn’t have a hand wheel. Dropped? I bought a used nouvelle and had the opportunity to test it. Straight stitched fine. The little I tried the FMQ I thought it was fine. But on a real project it broke thread every few minutes. I tried every thread/needle
combination and finally took it in. It had a damaged hook. I traded it in in the newer version and never had a problem again.
Thankyou so much for your reply. I actually hadn't thought that far. I knew it had the feeling of too good to be true but I hadn't actually thought of the reasons it that could prove it! Now I am totally comfortable passing on something that I really can't afford and don't need! I used to work at a sewing machine store and have under 20 but close machines, Straight stitchers, about 5 FWs, 2 Berninas and several Brother combination sewing and embroidery machines and a lonely Elna! I don't need the nouvelle at all. I also have a long stored Singer 301 in a table for the first person willing to come get it. I live in St Charles, MO. It belonged to my ex's aunt and is in my basement. Lots of goodies in the drawers. Thank you again for your thoughts!!
Old 11-23-2020, 10:05 AM

thankyou also for your reply. I was amazed that a kid would do that. It could possibly be a fabrication for him trying to do some repairs himself or something. This had not occurred to me at all. I just knew it sounded slightly fishy and that I needed help making a decision. I feel totally comfortable passing on this "bargain" now. As you can see from my other response I have an abundance of machines. They seem to follow me home ..... Thank you again.
Old 11-23-2020, 03:31 PM

update - it's marked sold today! And it wasn't me! Thank you all again for pointing out the many things I hadn't thought of yet. I feel that I have been saved from an expensive and worrying mistake.