Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Replacing Machine - Considering 3 New Machines >

Replacing Machine - Considering 3 New Machines

Replacing Machine - Considering 3 New Machines

Old 11-12-2015, 05:23 AM

I am a Bernina girl, so you know which one I am leaning toward. I will give my same advice to you as I have done in the past. Don't forget to take in to consideration the customer service. How close is each dealer? Can they work on the machine in shop, or will they have to send out. What kind of support and lessons are they offering? How does each make you "feel" when you visit with them? Do they seem only concerned with selling the most expensive machine, or do they appear to want to help you make a good match with your needs? Customer service is what "sealed the deal" with me close to 30 years ago and I am still with the same Bernina dealer.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

You need to go and test out these machines just like you would a car. It is also so advisable to have a dealer nearby that can help you work out any of the problems we all have had with a new machine. Many times you can buy a demo machine at a quilt show on the last day. That is what I did with both my Berninas.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:41 AM

I have an older Viking and a newer BL - and the Viking will take the bulkiest seam I feed it, but the BL will not feed a bulky (4+) seam unless I pull it thru....my next machine will definitely have to pass the bulk test! Also make sure your needle adjustments/seam allowances are absolutely on mark...ask me how I know that NOW!
Old 11-12-2015, 06:48 AM

I'd say to try sewing on all of them. One of them will speak to you, as another poster mentioned.

I was all set to get a Bernina. Sewed on them at several different shops. Just wasn't feeling it. I couldn't intuitively do *anything* on it! Finally, at the last shop....the saleslady says, "Oh, honey. That Bernina doesn't like you!"

And that was it; I just hadn't been able to articulate it. I didn't really like the looks of the Bernina, it was too tall, too hard for me to figure out, and it didn't like me.

OTH, the BabyLock Crescendo just resonated with my soul. I could do anything I wanted intuitively. I didn't have to get out the manual to study first. Plus, I just liked looking at it. And the sound it makes when it turns on is so cool. Sometimes I turn it on just to hear the sound.

The Bernina - I had to struggle
The Janome - was ok
The BabyLock - made me smile

Your test sewing will do the same for you....one of them will say, pick me! Good Luck! And may you always that great big smile when you sit down to your new sewing machine.....
Old 11-12-2015, 06:55 AM

Get the machine that has the best dealer. The dealer, is the most important part of your machine. You want a dealer that you can phone up and say " my machine is not doing this why?" Your dealer should be able to talk you through the problem and get it solved....if it is an operator error. You dealer should also give you free lessons and be there for you when you need them. Including servicing your machine, teaching you how to use it and be there for support. Good luck and Enjoy!!!
Old 11-12-2015, 07:01 AM

Test drive all of them.
List features - make sure the machine you're buying has everything you need and at least most of what you want.
Check into accessories - if the machine doesn't already come with all the bits and bobs you'll want, find out how much they're going to cost and if the machine will work with "generic" feet and accessories. (I think Bernina has a special shank so feet aren't as easy to come by - but don't take my word for that.)

Someone might LOVE a machine that is terrible for you! Your own taste/experience/needs/wants are what's going to guide you to the best machine for YOU.

Personally I'm a Janome fan. Their machines make sense to me and everything seems simple and intuitive, and I find them to be extremely reliable. BUT, my very first machine I bought on my own after moving out of my parents house was a very basic Kenmore; I found out after buying my Janome 6600 that my Kenmore was actually made by Janome, so that might be why the newer machines seem so intuitive to me - I've had years of experience with their general design.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:09 AM

Love my Berninas - I have the 830 and the 350 -- that is the only brand I will buy.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:37 AM
Power Poster

I see that several people have recommended finding a good dealer. It's true that a dealer can be very helpful. However, it's important to understand that dealerships go out of business, sell to other owners, etc. Buying from a dealership is no guarantee that they will be around later when you have a problem. I purchased my Bernina 1230 from a dealer who went out of business a year later. Servicing is not an issue because there are other places I can take the machine for servicing by Bernina techs. I think most machines are like that; you can get them serviced elsewhere.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:45 AM

I have the Janome 8900 and really like the machine. But I haven't sewn on the others you mention. I have sewn on a friend's upper end Bernina and didn't like the feel -- can't be more definite than that. But the Janome just purrs along -- I swear it anticipates what I want and performs. Then again, I feel the same way about the Brother 1500s -- it is a fantastic machine, but only straight stitch.

The nice thing about the upper end machines these days is they tend to be durable and have all the bells and whistles. I purchased my Janome out of state, so I'm not sure how important a local dealer is as I don't have one and haven't needed any work done on mine. If I needed repair work done on mine, the closest authorized dealer is 4 hours away.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:22 AM

Thank you everyone for your wonderful responses. The best deal I can currently get is for the Bernina 770.
I also wanted to say that I have considered the Brother Dream Creator Innovis VQ2400, however, I have read a lot about Brother being the poorer version of BabyLock in terms of the quality of the parts inside and I LOVE the BabyLock Aria which is more than I can get the Bernina 770 for right now. I feel like this is as clear as mud.

PS: I don't want to offen anyone with my comments about Brother, this is just what I have read over and over.

Last edited by lyndaj; 11-12-2015 at 11:25 AM.