Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Replacing Machine - Considering 3 New Machines >

Replacing Machine - Considering 3 New Machines

Replacing Machine - Considering 3 New Machines

Old 11-13-2015, 08:30 PM

I have been sewing on the Janome 8900 for about 18 months and I have not had any problems at all. I like it a lot.
Penny
Mi.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:42 PM

Default Thank you

Hey everyone,

I want to say thank you for welcoming me to your board and for the frank comments made in my thread about machine shopping. I have taken everyone's comments to heart.

Right now, I am a little annoyed and have gotten over being starstruck by Bernina. I was manipulated by a dealer who was selling a floor model for an amazing price and I fell hard. However, my brain stepped in and stopped me. What really drove me crazy was how condescending this dealer was about my Pfaff. Ok, I don't like it, but MSRP was $1800. It's not a total piece of garbage.

While Bernina's are amazing high quality machines, they also weigh alot and I couldn't imagine taking one to a class.

I am not generally a frugal girl. In fact, I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for (generally), but I just can't pull the trigger on the Bernina. In fact, I am not sure I can pull the trigger on the Babylock either.

I like the Janome 8900, but I have heard and read (including in my thread) that sometimes this machine has a hard time getting through some thicker fabrics.

As you can see, I continue to contemplate this subject. I just don't want another mistake.

Thanks again,

Lynda
Old 11-15-2015, 04:58 PM
Power Poster

​It is a big decision and you should take all the time you need and test drive a few.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:35 PM
Banned

I agree with Tartan. You will know when you've found just the right machine for YOU.

Cari
Old 11-15-2015, 06:47 PM

I love my janome 8900! The free motion is oh so good. Perfect tension and perfect lighting. I was a big fan of the 6600 but the 11 inch throat and free arm of the 8900 were too much of a temptation! I’ve been super happy with it and i’ve had mine for over three years now and it runs every day! The only foot i had to buy for it was a ruffler but other than that everything came with it. My advice other than buy the 8900 is sew on all of the models. You will know which one is right. Free motion is the most stress you can put a machine through so make sure you free motion on them. Also its always a good idea to buy a machine that you have a local repair man for. You never know whats going happen .
Old 11-15-2015, 09:13 PM

Just another note on Brother vs. Babylock - exact same machines, exact same parts, exact same assembly line and the only difference comes when the programming is done and the cover goes on. Not one mechanical difference between them. I work on both all the time and I order and replace the same parts for the same machines. Babylock spends a great deal more on their packaging but who cares about the box the accessory foot comes in (or bag if it's from brother)??
Old 11-15-2015, 09:39 PM

Welcome, lyndaj! I love my 40 year-old Bernina so much that I wouldn't want anything else! But that's me.
Sew as much as you need to on each candidate machine until one stands out for YOU!
Old 11-16-2015, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Tom W View Post
Just another note on Brother vs. Babylock - exact same machines, exact same parts, exact same assembly line and the only difference comes when the programming is done and the cover goes on. Not one mechanical difference between them. I work on both all the time and I order and replace the same parts for the same machines. Babylock spends a great deal more on their packaging but who cares about the box the accessory foot comes in (or bag if it's from brother)??
Tom thank you for this information. There is however a LARGE difference in the warranties on the machines.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:51 PM

Actually the standard Brother warranty on their high end machines is 2 years parts, labor and accessories, 6 years electronic components and circuit boards (labor excluded) and 25 years for chasis casting. BabyLock's standard warranty is 1 year labor, 5 years electrical, circuit boards and electric, 10 years parts and 25 years limited. I took this information straight from the company websites. Now if you want to BUY a 3 year Comprehensive Care program, BabyLock sells that service and Brother doesn't.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:29 AM

I have the Bernina 740 and I absolutely love it. However I am a Bernina girl from way back!! I had an older 730 and the main reason I upgraded was because of the even stitch (or whatever they call it) very similar to the IDT on the Pfaff. I am not sure that the 740 comes with a stich regulator foot but if you decide to get that machine and it doesn't PM me because I have one that I don't use and would be happy to sell at a much discounted price!