Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Replacing OttLite Bulb >

Replacing OttLite Bulb

Replacing OttLite Bulb

Old 09-20-2016, 01:18 PM

I bought my unit on sale. Replacing the bulb was such a hassle, I threw it out!
Old 09-20-2016, 04:34 PM

My Ottlite bulb has never burned out. Ballast, that's another story. The Ottlite company never tells you about that and you can only get it from them. I have an Ottlite sitting in my sewing room that won't work because the ballast has failed for the second time. At $20 plus and shipping, that gets expensive. It is the grey floor lamp. I found another Ottlite on craigslist that is a decorative one with a glass shade. It now flickers off but usually comes back if you tap it on the shade. If it fails, I am going to rewire it for a regular bulb (and use a daylight LED), or just go buy a LED lamp and not worry about stupid bulbs or ballasts!
Old 09-20-2016, 06:42 PM

Well, I found a solution to my problem, no thanks to Ott Lite. My husband modified the lamp so it would accept the bulb. He also told me there is no way any tech on the phone could have walked me thru it. Since reading here how a lot of people buy cheaper lamps and they seem to work fine, I may do that next time. Any company that can't make a replacement bulb that actually fits the lamp and then gives very limited customer service isn't getting any more of my money if I can possible avoid it.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:51 AM

Totally agree with cashs_mom's 'Any company that can't make a replacement bulb that actually fits the lamp and then gives very limited customer service isn't getting any more of my money if I can possible avoid it.'
Old 09-22-2016, 12:32 PM

Lucky you to have such a handy husband. I get so frustrated when little things like that interfere with my sewing time. Good luck now with your new bulb.
Old 09-22-2016, 03:39 PM

I am going to order this lamp soon, and have it deviled to store free. Can't beat the price. Had two floor lamps and they finally died after years of use, and they sell the bulbs in the store.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Daylight-...White/24419201
Old 09-22-2016, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Fabric Galore View Post
Lucky you to have such a handy husband. I get so frustrated when little things like that interfere with my sewing time. Good luck now with your new bulb.
Thanks, Losie. I was SO frustrated! I was having a fit when my husband came home (probably why he fixed it LOL) I hate it when things don't work like they should. Hopefully, I won't have to do this again for a while. I have found that the bulbs last a long time. But next time I'll probably just buy a new lamp.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:28 PM

Check YouTube...it's amazing the how-to videos you can find there
Old 10-13-2016, 12:01 PM

I have the floor lamp model. Had it long time now. It has the piggly wiggly mercury bulb in it. Sticker inside shade says replace only with 120V PL and has diagram of the same piggle wiggly bulb. Have been wanting this mercury bulb to burn out, so I could take the lamp to Batteries Plus and see if I could get a daylight LED replacement. Do not buy and do not want those mercury bulbs in this house!