Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: repurposing fabrics, do you do it?

I do use jeans to make into purses/bags... and the legs I am using the material for the rag quilts I am making the boys.

For some reason I just never thought of using sheets and such heh. It dawned on me at the store today.

(I think the major score was the 12 foot of fabric (almost a full bolt) for less than $2

Not sure what I will use it for yet :)

PS with the addition of these pieces, it actually looks like the start of a stash hehe

Blog Entries
    remember to check the blankets too..they work for quilt batting and usually they are about 2-3 dollars at Goodwill.

Blog Entries
    I took some pillow cases and make quickie sewing machine covers. They work really well.

Good luck on the job.

I have a wonderful local Thrift store. Men's shirts $1, jeans $3, etc. I've gotten great buys on new/virtually new sheets and pillowcases, tablecloths, fabric. I stay away from garage sales- sewing machines tend to follow me home. Check out Quiltville.com and Maryquilts.com for great inspirations. There's also a great Yahoo group called Heartstrings run by the lovely lady from Maryquilts which has directions for many string and strip pieced quilts. I was always afraid of plaids because they were never straight enough when I cut them. Now I seek them out. In a magazine I saw a Kaffe Fasset quilt made from mens striped shirts- loved it! With fabrics now pushing $14 I just can't afford them. I'm really liking the looks of scrappy, shabby chic, and eclectic quilts. Several years ago I was given many of my brother's jeans when his new wife decided to purge his clothes, and plan to make them into a quilt for Christmas, and maybe some stockings. My shelves and bins are full, but tonight I went to a $3 a bag sale at a local church and several new floral sheets came home with me. They'll be made into adult sized "pillowcase" dresses for donation to Little Dresses for Africa. The pattern is on their site and on Nancy's notions. I've decided I can rationalize using bookcases of fabric as insulation- right? I'm not a hoarder- just overly Thrifty.

doh can not edit my post... I did not mean to say it is almost a bolt (at 12 feet LOL) not sure what I was thinking when I said that. Probably still had those bolts on the brain.

Banned
    I do it all the time, after all that is how the quilts were made in the good old days.

Billy

One of the reasons I love quilting is that re-purposed fabric makes some of the most amazing and one-off quilts. I collect vintage fabric, anything that can be cut up and incorporated into a quilt or an embellishment for a quilt. No thrift store is safe from my "rummaging":).

Love the stuff you got...specially the pillow panels with the buildings, could be a brilliant quilt, as a centrepiece if you only have the one or incorporating more, surrounded by geometric blocks using plain fabrics that co-ordinate with the colours in the panel....see...salvaged bits and pieces just get the creative juices running:)....have fun and happy quilting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaorth
    Wish I knew how to test fabric, so I could determine if the ones that did not have labels are 100% cotton
    I have seen a description of how to test a fabric scrap by burning it. Something about different smells, etc. Post a query in a new thread and someone will answer it!

I hope you get the job, too. But...will you ever bring home a check? lol
    Michelle

Blog Entries
    Here's a post about using decorator fabric sample books: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-158818-1.htm

Blog Entries
    I think it's pretty neat to do quilting like our ancestors did. They used what they had. Of course, I like the color coordinated ones, too, but like the history of how women used what they had.

My real passion I guess is finding great fabrics in weird places. And I love my seam ripper, too, so I enjoy buying curtains or skirts or bed ruffles or tablecloths, or whatever and ripping them down to make something else out of . I'd guess probably half my fabric is reclaimed.

Recently bought a valance that when I had finished ripping apart was 45" wide and 4 yards long--------------pastel seersucker plaid, just perfect for a baby quilt back I'll be making in the next couple months.

Quote Originally Posted by LeslieFrost
    Wish I knew how to test fabric, so I could determine if the ones that did not have labels are 100% cotton
    I have seen a description of how to test a fabric scrap by burning it. Something about different smells, etc. Post a query in a new thread and someone will answer it!
    this much I can tell you-----------cotton burns, synthetic melts.

Quote Originally Posted by Michellesews
    I hope you get the job, too. But...will you ever bring home a check? lol
    Michelle
    lol good question

so even if it is a mixed content, if it has synthetic in it it will melt?

Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie

I have over the last year and I have also started buying more Walmart fabric. It was between less quilting or using lesser quality. I rather quilt with lesser quality cottons or repurposed cotton then not quilt. Think green when you repurpose. It is the big in. :P

Some great ideas here. I must start to haunt the charity shops - though I find that a lot of the sheets etc that they sell are just too grotty to use. Does anyone know if there are any books on this sort of thrifty use/reuse of fabric? I'd like to do it more often, as I'm now on a retirement income, and also because I increasingly want to live in a way that respects the planet's limited resources and makes the best use of everything. But I'm often unsure as to what could be used and how, so somee help and inspiration wouldn't go amiss. If there isn't such a book, will one of you ladies please write it!

Akron, Ohio - Atlanta, GA - Mannheim Germany
    I am using fabric to cover a dresser I had brought for my son years ago. He has moved out and I need more storage so I am going to sand, prime, paint, Mod Podge and turn it into something nice for my sewing room.

Quote Originally Posted by annthreecats
    I took some pillow cases and make quickie sewing machine covers. They work really well.
    I would like to do that, Will you send me directions?
    Thanks
    JOY

Anywho... who else shops at goodwill/thrift stores for fabric (be it sheets, scraps etc)
    I do. One time I bought flannel pjs bottoms and tops for a year (a couple at a time--usually about 60 cents each) and then cut them all up and made them into flannel rag quilts. I ended up making 7 quilts out of the squares I had collected. I've used at least 2 for wedding gifts (put a note in the box what it was)...and they turned out great. I was very pleased.

But I regularly haunt the used clothing stores for 100% cotton sheets and 100% cotton curtains. I don't live in the US and this is my best source of fabric. I've made plenty of quilts with these items.

of course...why wouldn't one use recycled fabric????

Blog Entries
    that is my favorite place to shop. Have had good luck, and bought great material.

Blog Entries
    I use whatever I can find.

Blog Entries
    so even if it is a mixed content, if it has synthetic in it it will melt?

Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
    YES

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast