Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: repurposing fabrics, do you do it?

Put a lit match to a corner of the fabric. Cotton will char burn but blends will melt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glowworm
    Put a lit match to a corner of the fabric. Cotton will char burn but blends will melt.
    I usually cut a piece off so I don't have major damage. Keep a cup of water around or a bit of water in the sink so put the fire out. If it has a bead it should stay on even if it is wet - if not do it again carefully. I so hate getting burned.

Go to Google, type in "how to test cotton fabric". Tons of information will pop up.

I just went to goodwill and sal army bought a bunch of the infant shorts dresses that have the snaps at the top I'm going to sew across the bottom and then take them to work for my residents to use on the side of their wheelchair and there walkers. with the snaps on the top of the outfit easy on easy off, really got some cute ones and when i sew them you'll still be able to see the design on them, also stocking up on kids jeans for a jean quilt

Have done that for special reasons, made a fun family quilt with pockets of shirts and jeans and decorations from shorts etc. Also a plaid using son's shirts, and throws using daughter's clothes, fun to do.

I repurpose 100% cotton curtains into quilts especially when looking for fabric with a faded look.

Blog Entries
    We have a open market sale here in the summer where we can only sell repurposed products. A GREEN market as it was explained to me. Did not partake of this summer but might next summer. Lot of scrubs that have not sold(used) and they are destined to become quilts. Used sheets for backing, used blankets for batting. Except for baby ones of course, those get new batting and backing on them.

I rather recyclr than buy new, I can live rich of what people throw away,

I DO shop thrift stores, goodwill etc. I have found some family member's discontinued dish pattern on more than one occasion. I have not yet found a sewing or craft "find", however I do re-purpose at home. If a garment is unfit for donation and must be tossed, I remove the buttons, zipper and if it has nice ribbed cuffs in good shape them too. Jeans beyond repair? Cut the legs off and make denim squares from the parts that are still in good shape. Shirt buttons are fairly generic. I remove the whole set and put them on a large safety pin or paper clip so the matching buttons stay together.

Blog Entries
    I went to a bed bath beyond store on their finally day a few years ago, Everything that was left was 25 cents I had so much fun got a lot of quality material to repurpose I am still using it. I made a quilt that was all new material the top cost 1.00

Blog Entries
    I use thrift store finds also-sheets,pillow cases,shams,crib sheets,drapes,clothing-don't buy unless label says 100% cotton. I get lots of beautiful fabric this way . I use the fat quarter rule for pricing. Must be larger than a FQ & cost less than $2.

Yes, since I was a child getting scraps from my mother. I also turned the collars on DH's shirts when we were newly wed, made baby sleepers from old cotton sweatshirts, denim toddler coveralls from worn thin jeans, patchwork cushions.

Over the years my stash has grown with bargain fabrics--sewing factory cuts, orphan blocks & patches, thrift & yard sale goods, rummage sales, immediate family worn clothing, feed sacks, wool blankets and clothing, and remnants. Now that I'm retired the stash is steadily becoming an organized fabric collection.

The funniest part is looking for cotton clothing to wear--but with an eye to its potential future use.

Blog Entries
    I am with you. I do it all the time. I can't imagine NOT doing it. Of course, some people (won't say who) think I'm crazy. Heck, maybe I am, but I love it. It's a challenge.

I have always gone to the thrift stores for fabric. I never thought of looking for just fabric! I would buy formal gowns (they usually have tons of fabric and lace!). I would use the material in the gowns for dresses for my porcelain dolls. I have recently started doing life-like vinyl dolls. I made a christening gown for one of my babies. She was sold recently. I have asked the lady that bought it for a picture as mine was accidentally deleted from my camera. But now I look for fabric when I go. Old Curtains are a great source too. Escecially lined ones. Front and back of your lap quilt!

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    yes, I made a quilt and 3 table runners from some of grandmas clothes when she passed. 1 for each daughter

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MS quilter
    I am with you. I do it all the time. I can't imagine NOT doing it. Of course, some people (won't say who) think I'm crazy. Heck, maybe I am, but I love it. It's a challenge.
    Is it the challenge for you too? I love the challenge. See what I can make out of ____!

I think the blue/green thing may be a window valance, and if so, it's probably cotton/poly. GREAT finds!!!

Quote Originally Posted by butterjoy
    I recycle everything that is fabric. Shirts, jeans, sheets, blankets, everything I can because I cannot afford to buy pretty fabrics. You have heard the saying "beggars cannot be choosers" well, that is me. :)
    My old blankets and towels go to the local Animal Shelter. They really need these things and I would rather they get used that way then to incorporate them into a quilt. My kitchen towels (if they are not too grungy or faded) can be used to make quilts. Have made one. Just haven't gotten it quilted yet. Still working on that one. If you use new towels, be sure to wash first and check for bleeding! I bought a set of dish towels from LAKESIDE catalog. When I washed them, the solid green ones bled all over the white/green ones! Now I have two-tone green ones. It will still make a pretty quilt top.

I am cutting up a shirt to make an apron. And have used old sheets for backing, and old blankets for batting.

i love going to the thrift shops, garage sales, etc to find old stuff i can use...i have many things to use different things on, i can always find a bargain....looks like you did good!!!!

Thrift store lady told me they were not allowed to buy there.
    A disadvantage if you are hoping to get "stuff".

Quote Originally Posted by linhawk
    Thrift store lady told me they were not allowed to buy there.
    A disadvantage if you are hoping to get "stuff".
    At a church sponsored thrift I frequent, volunteers may purchase items at half-price.

History repeats itself. When times are hard we use what is available and make the most of it. That is what our gr-grandmothers did.

Blog Entries
    I am all about looking outside the box. I Love thrift stores for finding fabrics, I have found some real neat designs that were pieces of clothing and if the material is in good shapes I come home and get out the seam ripper. Good Luck with the Job interview--let 8us know what happens. As soon as I found out if we got a discount as employees, I would be in soooo much trouble if I worked in a fabric store. LOL

I buy clothing all the time at thrift stores, yard sales, etc. for quilting. Use sheets as backings quite often, have used blankets and the mattress pads that don't have the plastic lining for batting. I cut the left over pieces of batting into squares and use for rag quilts when I get enough.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast