Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Retired Sewing Machines... >

Retired Sewing Machines...

Retired Sewing Machines...

Old 04-11-2010, 05:40 PM

I bought a Janome sewing machine from Ken in Muscle Schoals, AL. Free shipping was a bonus. His customer service and quick shipping are great.

I highly recommend his shop.

Originally Posted by LindaR
theres a thread here about Ken's Sewing Center in AL, he sells on ebay and is very reliable. I would not hesitate to buy from him and its usually free shipping. Goggle him and check out the store first
Old 04-11-2010, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by smitty
the 301 is such a great machine ! I would bet money that the
same thing is wrong with each--when you cleaned machine and
took off throat plate, the metal "finger" was not lined up
right when you put the plate back on. there will be a picture
in your manual. and you are certainly not the first this
happened to !! elaine
An easy mistake to make. I've done it many times over the years... just takes a stitch or two to realize what I've done.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:44 PM

Speaking of eBay, I've bought and sold more than a few sewing machines on eBay and have never had a problem.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by penny doty
Originally Posted by Crafty1
Would you buy one? or go for a new updated version?

My story: At this time I have no sewing machine because I broke mine. To fix it the labor costs are from $109 - $199 + parts and tax. We have been reading the manuals and trying to use the FW and 301 but for the life of me I can't keep the bottom stitches from bunching up. So I began this sewing machine research project. I've got Janome, Baby Lock, Brother, Pfaff, Viking and Bernina's on the list. Went to all the dealers and a couple do layaway. Then I seached the internet, an example, I saw on ebay a Brother NX400, which is retired, but the listings say New In Box. Price is reasonable but not sure if I should go for it or just get a new updated version which is the Brother NX450Q. I haven't officially made up my mind as we need two sewing machines, but was curious if you would buy a retired product? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
I was just given a brothers sewing machine, but it dose not have the cord, I called brothers to see how much these cost, they don,t make the sewing machine any more so they don,t have parts for it,. I think if you make a machine, you should still carry parts for it. this machine was built 4 years ago. so If they retired it they don.t make parts for it any more. Penny
Penny, do a search and type in Replacement parts for Brothers Sewing Machine model # _____ and you should find someone with parts. I was looking up parts for someone the other day and came across several business that dealt in older sewing machine replacement/repair parts.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by BayridgeQuilts
Speaking of eBay, I've bought and sold more than a few sewing machines on eBay and have never had a problem.
Oh, and I often find replacement parts for my vintage machines on eBay. Great resource!~
Old 04-11-2010, 07:40 PM

Patti,
Very interesting, I am not in the market for a new machine, but I sure like your advice and all the different things to look for. I never thought about taking your own fabric pieces in to try out on a new machine, and that there would even be a possibility that the seller might not want you to use your own. Thanks for some very interesting and valuable advice.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:05 PM

Did anyone mention that the flat side of the needle goes to the left on FW 221's.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by ktbb
don't forget that "new in box" could mean that the parts are all there but not put together and in a new box...don't laugh, it happened to a friend of mine and she was unable to find the seller to get her money back...you're never 100 per cent sure of what you're getting when you purchase thru the internet so if you don't know the seller it's better to buy locally when it comes machines...
Wow, I never thought about that! But I agree you never know what you get when you buy online as your only relying on pictures.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:19 AM

Thanks for all the info!!! I wouldn't give up either machines but when I can get the thread to stop bunching I know I'll be in heaven. I'm going to try re-threading and lining up the plates and going over all your suggestions! It may take me some time, but I'll get there and let all you know!
Old 04-12-2010, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by CRicart
What brand is the broken machine? How old? Is it all metal? It is very hard to find a good reliable machine fpr the amount your repair will cost. ost new ones are all plastic, even the gears, and cannot be easily repaired (or at all, sometimes!!) Find a nice reliable repairman and ask him what he thinks of your machine. My guys love my old all-metal machines.
It's a Brother SE350. There must be thread wrapped under neath the bobbin case or something because I can't turn the hand wheel. When we took the machine apart, there's like this metal bar that I can't move (or should I say afraid to move) so it will have to be taken in to get fixed properly.

The Walmart by me is closing the fabric dept. so everything has been on clearance for a couple weeks now. Yesterday we went to get some camping supplies so I wandered over to the fabrics to see what was left, not much! Checked out the sewing machines and yup, the same machine is on SALE and it includes a bonus. Thought about getting it since it's about the same price to get mine fixed and give it to my daughter when I get a new one in like 6 months or so :)