Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Returned my Shark iron! >

Returned my Shark iron!

Returned my Shark iron!

Old 12-16-2010, 04:59 AM

My Sunbeam is very old & works great.You're lucky to have a hardware store with prices that compare with Wallyworld.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:04 AM

I bought the shark iron..and I can get it to wake up after it is idle. Mine doesn't leak water...it is going back to Walmart.

Originally Posted by retired2pa
I recently had to buy a new iron because my old standby quit working. I guess after 15+ years it was tired...LOL

Anyway, I went to KMart (hate WalMart) and bought a Shark. I don't remember what model it was but after 3 days I took it back. I hated it! I know they all shut off automatically after 8 minutes or so but what I really didn't like was you had to shake it to have it wake up and come back on and when it did it was at the lowest temp. setting. After resetting it to cotton you had to wait for it to warm up...AAARRRGGGHHH!!

I tried another iron and didn't like it either, so I reluctantly went to WalMart and bought a "cheapie" for $7.00 and love it! Go figure :)
Old 12-16-2010, 05:05 AM

Ditto. I also had purchased a Shark hand vac . . . only worked once then died.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:06 AM

Black & Decker About 20 years old and about $12.00 at that time. Two Rowenta's went back to Strawbridge and Clothier. The second one free to replace the leaking one - it leaked and I took it back.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:09 AM

Get a Rowenta Effective. I bought mine at my local True Value Hardware store for $79. I LOVE it.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:21 AM

I have had the experiences of many of the other people. After spending a fortune on various top quality irons I went on Ebay and looked at vintage irons....bought several and have decided the old ones work better and will outlast me. They just don't make things like they used to and I for one don't care to pay those top dollars for an iron that gives me nothing but frustration. If you get out to thrift shops you may also be able to find one of those old tried and true irons for around $3.00. I have several of these also.....so hopefully I have a stable of irons that will outlast me and no more frustrations.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:23 AM

I have an old cheap Proctor Silex and it is still going strong despite the fact that it has been dropped, cracked and then duct taped (love it) back together. It stays hot, prives reliable steam, and keeps on a chuggin'.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:36 AM

My solution to the iron problem was to buy the heaviest one I could find at the cheapest price. Have found that the expensive irons are just that....expensive! And the cheaper ones do the same job. As long as it heats, steams, and has an automatic shut-off I'm happy!!
Old 12-16-2010, 05:48 AM

I purchased a shark iron too, and it is a piece of crap. It didn't start leaking until the darn warranty ran out, so I am stuck with it. It is now on hold for emergencies only, until I can find another Iron that has no auto shut off. Am using my rowenta which leaks too, but at least it stays hot.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by CindyBee
What is it with the irons these days!? It's unbelievable to me that we have to spends hundreds of dollars for a freaking iron that works. It certainly wasn't a problem 30 years ago. You bought an iron, it was reasonable. It made steam when it was supposed to and didn't make steam when you didn't want it to. Occasionally I ran some vinegar water through it to clean it. It didn't turn off unexpectedly. It was heavy enough to get the job done. I don't want an expensive, supersonic, ultasafe, stand on it's legs iron. Just give me a decent iron! Jeez, how hard can that be? Ok, rant over :)
What she said!