Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
ripping yardage? >

ripping yardage?

ripping yardage?

Old 05-23-2011, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
That's the way they always used to do it. (In prehistoric times).
OUCH! I remember those times. But then I'm getting to be somewhat of a dinosaur. LOL
Old 05-23-2011, 12:51 PM
SEW

I prefer to snip and tear yardage myself. why take 1 minutes to do something that can be done in 30 seconds and come out "true"!
Old 05-23-2011, 12:58 PM

The staff at Eleanor Burns store and tent ripped when I was in Paducah. Not sure if they do this all year round, or just during Paducah week.

It didn't bother me that they ripped it as I know it's a straighter edge and I'm not worried about it stretching because I pre-wash - so it would find "home" again. BUT the amount of fray that it created when I pre-washed was WELL beyond what I expected to find. WHAT A MESS!!

Bought 1 yard cuts of three different fabrics this weekend and for the first time ever at an LQS they did exactly what I would have done had I been at home. She laid out all three fabrics on top of each other then cut 1 yard!
Old 05-23-2011, 01:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
Back in the day that's how it was done whenever you bought fabric. Nowadays some are totally against it, others don't mind. I'm in the "don't mind" group. :)
me too - you get a truer edge. I just sew with the torn edge still on. You don't lose anything then.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Maggiesmom
Have you ever bought a yard of fabric that had been cut for you and taken it home only to find it to be terribly crooked? Snip it, tear it and you will find that you really don't have a yard of fabric. I don't know how many half yards I have had cut that end up maybe only 15-16 full inches wide across the 42+ inches. My mother was a terrific seamstress. She always tore her fabric to get it straight before she cut out a pattern. That's what they did in the "olden" days.
Then I must be getting old - before I start to cut, after my fabrics are ripped and then washed, I press the pieces so I can line them up and have them exact. That is the way that I was 'trained' and the way I do it. And I do it with just about everything. When I buy, I always buy a couple of inches extra - usually by rounding up to the next quarter. That is one reason that I LOVE Connecting Threads fabrics - their yards are 37". :thumbup: :thumbup:

I don't usually 'tear first - wash second - iron third' the pieces that are under half a yard. I will usually pull a thread to get them even. I HATE when you cut a strip and it has a bend in the middle. HATE IT!!!! So I tear/wash/iron. Makes it an easier person to deal with. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 05-23-2011, 01:47 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Fabaddict
I really hate to have my fabric ripped - it stretches.
My thought exactly!!!!
Old 05-23-2011, 04:35 PM

If they are giving me extra to account for the stretch, I don't mind tearing. I do it myself when I need long lengths. I'm also a dinosaur who remembers all fabric being done this way.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:53 PM

When I was in school in the seventies we were taught how to rip fabric and then how to pull it to get it on the straight of grain. Stretching it was never a concern, it was deemed necessary to getting it straight so it could be cut. This had to be done with each persons yardage before we were allowed to begin any sewing projects. It was very surprising how much of it was off grain.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by gollytwo
Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
Back in the day that's how it was done whenever you bought fabric. Nowadays some are totally against it, others don't mind. I'm in the "don't mind" group. :)
me too - you get a truer edge. I just sew with the torn edge still on. You don't lose anything then.
This is the way I do my borders. Sew with the torn edge still on. They turn out flat and good. I guess it's "to each their own". :shock: :mrgreen:
Old 05-23-2011, 05:03 PM

In my sewing class, when we have large yardage and need a small piece, I always have my kids tear the fabric, but I have them allow a couple extra inches to avoid any shortages