Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
ripping yardage? >

ripping yardage?

ripping yardage?

Old 05-24-2011, 06:41 AM

If they won't cut it I won't buy it. I was at a quilt store in Houston, TX and wanted to buy a lot of fabric. They measured the first peice and then tore it--I told them I didn't want it torn, they refused to cut it so I refused to spend my money there.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:41 AM

WOW!! I have joined another group, to become a member of the "Olden Times" bunch!!!!!!! I always thought the "olden times" were when people traveled on foot, either their own or horses, mules or Jack-asses. Maybe a wagon if they were lucky and lives on a farm.
Really, at 82 yrs of age, born in the spring of 1929, and still active enough to do almost everything I want, plus looking forward to another 10 years, at least.
Guess that will make me ancient won't it????
I hope to quilt 100 quilts for American Hero Quilts this year. I am just finishing the 71st one.
How are you young whipersnappers doing?
Phyllis
82 yrs in Oregon
70 yrs quilting---yes, I am , first one @ age 12.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:03 AM

If someone ripped my fabric I would hand it back you have to loose quite a bit because the ripping distorts the edge
Old 05-24-2011, 07:29 AM

At Joann's we cut fabric. If customer wants the fabric torn, we do that too. Anything with a definite pattern line (like plaids), we cut "on the line." My LQS uses cutting mats and rotary cutters.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:37 AM
Power Poster

I prefer to have my fabric cut.

Some tears don't do much "damage" - I've seen some where there are pulls on the rest of the fabric as far as one inch -

If there is a piece where I am feeling compulsive about getting a "true" grain, then I will pull a thread - a lot more time consuming, but much less fabric damage that way.

Many fabrics will "revert" to whatever they want to be when washed and dried. I used to do the "tug of war" to attempt to straighten them. When laying around, some of them went back to what they were. So now I usually just deal with how the fabric is after it's been washed and dried.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by wannaquilt1
So at my LQS I got 1/2 yard of fabric and she put a little slit in the fabric and then ripped the fabric for the yardage! I gasped and she laughed since i've never seen it done this way before. Is the line more accurate this way? I would think they would get tired from doing this all day...
if fabric is torn, you will get what you pay for. I've lost as much as 9" each end of a cut from Walmart, when I've torn the ends to make a piece square.. And recently lost abotu 5" from a JoAnn's piece.

FIRM BELIEVER IN TEARING.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:46 AM
farscapegal

I prefer it that way. I don't like to have my fabric cut with scissors or a rotary cutter. It is never right.

Sybil

Old 05-24-2011, 07:50 AM

I don't like tearing. It warps the fabric. And when the pieces are cut, sewn, and then quilted into place throuch the batting, I find that it all stays in place and squared anyway. So I like the cutting method better than the ripping.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:50 AM

I have been ripping for ever.I would never have had enough fabric for one quilt if I had not torn it .The pattern called for a certain amount and i was trying to break a bad habit of ripping and found myself running low on fabric went back to ripping and completed it.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins
I have purchased 1 yard pieces and washed them, only to find that I lost anywhere's up to 2" as it wasn't cut on the "true". I tear my fabric at home - I have seen the hint about pulling the thread though.
just 2"? You've been lucky!