Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
at the risk of being shot down in flames!!! >

at the risk of being shot down in flames!!!

at the risk of being shot down in flames!!!

Old 10-18-2010, 07:56 AM

Thank you for asking this question. I have wondered this myself.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:02 AM

I have one that isn't "quilted to death" and maybe your right...its the warmest quilt I have. Its also the orange one I quilted after my dad passed so I have other reasons for thinking why its so warm. =) Honestly...I never put this to thought before. It never dawned on me that the quilting affected anything other than the looks of the quilt. I'm getting ready to put one on the frame in a minute and will definately keep that in mind..I haven't gotten far enough in my quilting technique to anything other than wing it with some stipple or straight line stuff..but you got me thinking now. Thank You. =)
Old 10-18-2010, 08:18 AM

I agree with the previous messages. It's a matter of taste.
I to prefer minimal quilting. On the flipside, I've done wall hanging where it needed a little punch and I added more. Do whatever you like and don't work about the rest!! :thumbup:
Old 10-18-2010, 08:40 AM

I think it should be quilted however you think it will look the way you want it. I just love all quilts. I don't quilt closely because I use poly batting and I don't have to but I admire all the quilts I see on here and I wish I had the skill to machine quilt the way some of the quilters on here do.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by mayday
I thoroughly enjoy this board and seeing all the wonderful quilts that you display and have so cleverly and expertly pieced, BUT then see that some have been so closely quilted within an inch of their life, surely this defeats the object of making a quilt as all this close stitching [usually maching ] makes the quilt so flat and any loft that it did have is gone and the thing feels much harder and not as comforting ?.
I did put the title as above and do so hope that I have not offended but would like to know the reason please.
You are one brave woman! :lol:
Old 10-18-2010, 10:03 AM

The ones with higher loft and softness I think we call comforters. Quilts are not as lofty usually. At least that goes around here.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:21 AM

Yes I have thought of this too. Also the trend is to have a quilting machine which I don't have nor do I want. Some times I hate to have someone see my quilts because of all the professionalism today. I miss the old days when there are quilting bees and/or hand done or even by a regular home machine that isn't so professional looking--just by plain people.

Originally Posted by mayday
I thoroughly enjoy this board and seeing all the wonderful quilts that you display and have so cleverly and expertly pieced, BUT then see that some have been so closely quilted within an inch of their life, surely this defeats the object of making a quilt as all this close stitching [usually maching ] makes the quilt so flat and any loft that it did have is gone and the thing feels much harder and not as comforting ?.
I did put the title as above and do so hope that I have not offended but would like to know the reason please.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mamasuze
The thing that makes this board so great is that we all have our own opinions but respect the opinions of others. Some like puffy, soft quilts; some like flatter, closely quilted quilts. Each person is "right". I love hearing everyone's opinions and ideas, as it really helps me come up with better ideas for my own quilting.

How the quilt is going to be used also matters. For a show quilt, the quilter is showing her quilting skills as much as she's showing her piecing skills. For a much-loved, much-washed quilt, it needs to be quilted pretty close to keep everything in place. For a quilt that's only going to be used as a decoration, the quilting can either be much fancier or much farther apart. Once again, each method is "right".
Exactly what I was thinking. Could not have put it better.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:29 AM

Boy, you can really tell when someone hits a nerve!!!

Yes, lots of quilts are quilted heavily with very fancy motifs. This is the quilter's choice. Many of them are for shows or special occasions. I admire and OOH/AAHHH at these quilts/works of art along with everyone else.

I personally do not quilt closely, because I agree with the "less quilting = softer draping quilt" school of thought. 99% of my quilts are gifts to be used on beds and/or as throws, so I do not quilt heavily. Just enough to be sure nothing comes apart.

To each his own, I say. And a very astute observation by the original poster, here!! And, I am sure, no disrespect or affront intended, and none should be taken. :-)
Old 10-18-2010, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by ledraj
I too like quilts with quilting that allows the loft to show.
I think many quilts I see on display have too much quilting to suit me. I would never make or have a quilt like that. I think the pattern should be the star, the quilting an accent.
To each his own.
I agree. I like to make difficult p/p patterns and use quilting to accent the design rather than compete with it. I often wonder if the trend to dense quilting was a marketing ploy to sell a lot more expensive thread. Great question.