Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Road Not Taken:  The Quilts You Will Never Make >

The Road Not Taken: The Quilts You Will Never Make

The Road Not Taken: The Quilts You Will Never Make

Old 07-28-2019, 06:16 AM

What a brilliant observation and realization. I'm printing your post and saving it as a reminder that I will not live forever.
Right now I'm about half way through sorting and tossing my sewing and embroidery stash. Kits, pattern, fabric all loose my interest over time. There are still two rooms full and a LA in the basement.
Thank you for the best post. I'm taking it to heart.
Old 07-28-2019, 06:39 AM

I've always loved the challenge. I do simple, quick to put together quilts for donations and not quite so simple for my great nieces and nephews. I've made a few special wedding quilts for my family as well. The ones I make for myself are to challenge me and often take a long time. I may never win another blue ribbon for a quilt. The stuff being done now days is just so amazing most of the time. But, I've won a few blue ribbons in my day. I still strive for perfection but that's part of the challenge. I always want to improve. I always enjoy the finished quilt, even the simple ones.

I think as we get older we hone in on what we want to do with the rest of our days. Quilting has been my passion for quite a while and I don't see it getting any less. I've met the most wonderful ladies and gentlemen in this field. I'm very happy for my quiet mornings to sew before the busy day gets underway. I do enjoy shopping at a new to me quilt shop but don't buy much. My rule to is buy fabric only when it's on a super sale or when it's something I have to have to finish something up. And, it's not hard to stick to that. I have only one daughter and she'll inherit enough stuff to keep her busy sewing for the rest of her life.
Old 07-28-2019, 06:46 AM

I'm finding that it isn't the time, space or money that prevents me from attempting a project. It's interest. I've never been attracted to art quilts or modern abstract quilts. Just never had the desire to make one. But most all of the rest of quilting areas I just love. Collecting, cutting, piecing, paper piecing, love hand applique and will do machine applique. Big quilts and little quilts. Seems like I'm dragging me feet with bindings.
Old 07-28-2019, 06:50 AM

I run out of time! Plain and simple. there are just not enough hours in the day to either start, work on or finish a project and still be able to take care of the other important things in life, like DH, home, and health. When it comes to money. There is never enough no matter what the situation. I have a stash that will out live me 3x over. Materials, threads, sewing machines and even batting are not a problem. So who needs money in my house to quilt. DH needs extra help because he has dementia but once I have him settled in the morning I can go ahead and sew to my hearts content until lunch time. then the majority of the rest of the day is his.
I was trying a couple new things this morning (there is always something new to try) and discovered that my hands were more jerky than the last time I did something similar to this. I hope that fixes itself soon or the quilt I am working on will be stuck with some jerky looking quilt patterns <sigh>. Fortunately this quilt is not necessarily for anyone special. Every quilt is a learning experience IMHO.
My happiness is simple and I stay within my means on all things. For me retirement is great. I love my peace and quiet and the ability to be creative along the way.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:42 AM

I embarked two years ago on an organizing/kitting up project. It was partly spring cleaning fever, partly a desire to understand my preferences better so as to develop a vision for my future quilting, partly just my need for order, and finally a realization that I have no more space to store finished quilt tops properly (I'm much slower at quilting than at piecing).

I organized a first group of about 50 projects from my stash, a second group of about 25 (piles of fabric were all over the house!) and am close to finishing cutting and assembling units for these projects. I have absolutely loved seeing these piles of fabric disappear. My next step is to start on a third group of projects I organized this summer, around the many FQ bundles I accumulated (I had a real weakness for FQ bundles when I began quilting). I love the planning process, so this project has been very enjoyable for me.

Beyond these planned projects, I have a vague idea that I would like to finish my quilting days with more hand work and more scrap quilts. It all depends how long I last, but I like the idea that when I exit, whichever of these started projects I haven't finished could be given to a local guild to be finished for charity.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
For me progressive vision loss is a real issue.

Never did make the mariner's compass or pickle dish quilts I had planned on... but while perhaps my best workmanship is behind me, I am still able to sew and so sew I shall!

The planning and piecing is the part I like the best so am not so concerned with getting them quilted down. I'm gathering what rosebuds as I may, and I will manage to store the completed tops that I am keeping. More are being given/donated than kept.

I've always had financial constraints and yet have a grand stash by shopping my local thrift stores. The Seattle area is a very wealthy area even if I am not and I've found yardage of every designer you can think of. The only issue is you have to be able to deal with the available yardage and no, you can't really go out there looking for the perfect fabric for a particular project -- you have to be open to what the universe provides.

While my productivity may ebb and flow, sometimes dealing with my health issues, my interest is generally there. I decided as a senior in high school that I wanted to quilt despite not having any quilters in my background. I've been quilting for 40 years, it and music are the constants in my life.
I love your attitude. I will never be a competitive or even well known quilter, but I enjoy the process and make some people happy along the way. Now that I am retired, mostly I make me happy, and that makes my husband, daughters and friends happy.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:53 AM

I love everyone's attitude. I will never do anything super fancy. I love working with squares and rectangles and occasionally triangles.
I have been quilting for over 30 years now. I am in the process of finishing 3 wedding quilts for my son's and one niece(did they all have to get married in a 2 year span. But now starting on baby quilts for granddaughter and grand niece's.

I give away many of my quilts. I give a quilt to be raffled to a local high school theater group that I help costume for.

I have been thinking about my stash recently. I want to reorganize it so I can be more efficient and use more of it up. I have lots of kits I have bought in the last few years and next year I want to start either finishing them or giving them away.

Thanks for giving me something to think about this week. I have spent the last few weeks cleaning out my clothes closet.
Old 07-28-2019, 04:14 PM

Are you writing a thesis?
Old 07-28-2019, 05:23 PM

I have kits to finish someday and quilt tops to finish someday. After that, I will only make wall hangings or something very small and it will be appliqué or art quilts. I’m done with large quilts that no one I know wants. I have quilts made by my mom and one made by my grandmother. I wonder where they will go when I’m gone. Hopefully my son will keep them and love them as much as I do. I’m not, not, not buying any more fabric so what I make from now on will be from what I already have. I guess I shouldn’t mention that I have quite a yarn stash also
Old 07-28-2019, 05:33 PM

Not buying anymore fabric as it has become burdensome.