Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Road Not Taken:  The Quilts You Will Never Make >

The Road Not Taken: The Quilts You Will Never Make

The Road Not Taken: The Quilts You Will Never Make

Old 07-28-2019, 06:17 PM

For me my biggest constraints are financial, space, and time. I am young enough I work 40-60 hour weeks, with an hour commute daily. Adding housework and basic self care into the mix and I have maybe 20 minutes a day to work on my hobbies. For years and years and years I could never make myself dig everything out of the closet, set it up on the kitchen table to sew for five minutes, then put it all back. I did, however, continue looking and dreaming. I have entire notebooks of hand colored quilt projects I will never make, because that was as close as I could get to quilting.

Now that I'm a little older and more established at work, I have a bigger place (the sewing machine lives on a desk and not the closet floor!), and more money to spend on fabric. I still have to watch my spending, but a year of careful saving can get me a lot of fabric on black friday. Not really able to find fabric second hand here, I have never seen it at any thrift store, and I always work on garage sale days. I usually plan 4-5 larger projects for next year while I work on what I have now, and buy the fabric all at once while it is on deep discount.

It's taken me a long time to get myself set up so I can actually quilt as a hobby. I am grateful that I have gotten this far, and I make it a point to take my time and enjoy my hobby and build my skills, instead of rushing through life to get it done and move onto the next project.

I don't regret the dreaming about things I will never make it; it made me happy, and over time i really learned what I do and do not like in designs and color, etc. Now I'm just working towards learning everything I can to make some of those dreams a reality!
Old 07-28-2019, 08:23 PM

Hmmm...You've made some valid thoughtful points.I prefer to think I'm still on the road. I do have a hard time acknowledging my limitations. Time is a constraint, as is interest, not in quilting, but in specific projects. I have several panels that I fell in love with, and wanted to do, but now, not so much. Summer is so tough for me to get any quilting done. With a cabin remodel in the works, home, yard work, garden and helping with my grandson's summertime care, quilting is put on the back burner. I have two quilts I'm working on. I have at least a dozen more ready to go, as in idea, pattern, and fabric.

I have always been the go to person that forges ahead and does what needs to be done, or handles the current crisis, be it for family, friend, or committee obligations. Family and home responsibilities come first, and I eek out time for myself as needed. I'll be watching to see how everyone else balances this crazy juggling act called life!
Old 07-28-2019, 09:44 PM
DJ

A priority of mine is making time for friends and family. So I usually have one or more activities each week that involve getting together with friends. Family lives out of town, so that involves extended travel dates.
The necessary things like cooking and laundry will somehow get done.

I am retired, so I have more flexibility in how I spend my time. I enjoy a clean and tidy house, but with just DH and I at home now, it doesn't take that much effort, and DH is a huge help.

When I have an entire day at home, I do like to spend a significant amount of time in the studio. I have a vision of what I want and/or need to accomplish. There is, of course, more pressure when I'm making a gift with a deadline involved (gifts for my four grandchildren, etc). I try to plan accordingly and still allow time and space to make things for myself and my home.

I sort of have different crafts slotted for different times of the day. I do a lot of CCS in the evenings while DH and I watch some TV. That is also when I will do the hand stitching on quilt binding or other lap-type crafting (like drawing all the diagonal lines on squares to make half-square triangles). When we are travelling in the car or when visiting with friends, you may often find me knitting something easy that doesn't take much concentration. Quilting and sewing are generally done at some point during the day … or all day …

This time of year, I like to try to spend at least an hour a day in the garden. Afternoons may find me in my hammock chair reading and napping.

That's my life … I'm lovin' it! Life is very good to me.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:57 PM

I've only made a few bed sized quilts and although I'd like to have one for my bed, I don't see it happening.

Years ago I realized that I didn't have the patience to piece and quilt something that big. The fact is that I get bored easily so I make a lot of small wall quilts, bags, and pillows. They make great gifts, I get to enjoy designing and quilting them, and they don't use up lots of fabric, so they're less expensive.

I've also discovered that by working smaller I get more work done, and I can try out new techniques. I can also toss it if it isn't working and move onto something else. I'd feel too guilty giving up on a big quilt, but forcing myself to finish something I'm not enjoying doing would make me too unhappy. So, I keep my projects small enough to keep me interested long enough to finish them!
Old 07-29-2019, 05:14 AM
Power Poster

My tastes have changed since I started quilting. I no longer have a desire to make a double wedding ring. For one thing I have a couple of pretty vintage ones that I've collected. Another one is Baltimore Album. That is just not appealing to me anymore. Good thing because it would probably take me the rest of my life!
My problem is mostly time constraints to answer the general question.
Old 07-29-2019, 06:50 AM
Power Poster

For me, it's mostly a lack of desire now.

I had great fun "acquiring" - now it's just "'stuff" to work around.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:58 AM

I started quilting in 2014; self-taught. I began making lap quilts to donate to assisted living/nursing homes. I've gifted 2 large baby quilts and still working from time-to-time on a bargello I started several years ago. Also had to help care for my Mother the last 4-5 years until she passed 15 days before her 95 birthday. So I didn't quilt much during that time. Now, I'm helping care for her 89 year old sister.

Our family has a lake home we inherited and we usually have anywhere from 9 to 15 (just family) there on the weekends during the Summer ... and anywhere from 18 to 25 when friends come up. I made hot pads recenlty and took them to the lake to use. Now all the female family members hope I draw their name for Christmas ... they want hot pads. Ha.

So I guess, for me, I quilt based on what is needed at the time. I love to quilt and would everyday if I could. My biggest goal will be to complete the Bargello I started (and maybe do one more Bargello). I don't have a bucket list of quilt patterns I want to do. Since my favorite fabric store I (Hancocks) closed (which was 10 mins away) I don't shop as much for fabric and don't seem to get as inspired in other stores as I did in Hancocks.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:20 AM

I realize that "life situations" get in the way and that I can't always quilt or whatever other plan I have for the day/week, etc. Plus as bearisgray mentioned, it depends on other demands a person has to deal with at a given time in his/her life.Time is probably the biggest one - it takes time to prepare to make any quilt - but then that is all part of the fun of seeing it all come together. I just try to do the best I can and enjoy the whole process of quilting - also realizing you can't do every pattern you see.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:19 PM

What a great post, Iona! Loved reading all the comments. This year my goal was no purchasing fabric unless absolutely needed for backing or borders. And I've done that so far...making do with what I have on hand has been real rewarding. I'm happy piecing my quilts, wall hangings, gifts, table runners and placements...I have no interest in the complicated patterns, applique or paper piecing and I'm fine with that. Making charity quilts is now a big priority in my life. They are sewed with love and prayers for who those need them the most.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:24 PM

My biggest obstacle is me! I've have never bought fabric with a plan on how to use it. Ever. I am drawn to bright geometrics or large florals (shiny!) but often have a yard at most & I never think to get any blenders. I am afraid of messing up my beautiful fabric to the point of procrastination and paralysis (I need to see a therapist to learn how to relax & enjoy my hobby as I learn - allow myself to suck on the way to getting better, as it were).

Buying without a plan is honestly just collecting - I have several hundred fqs, half-yard cuts, various cuts of yardage, and pre-cuts. I've been trying to track how much I have and I'm getting close to 1,000 yards (Ha! I know - a paltry stash to many on this board) and still have measuring to do. I'm ashamed of how much free time I have (even though I work full-time), so I'll just say I have very few constraints on my time. I think that takes the urgency away from sitting down to finish anything.

I also have to see my projects, as putting them away means I forget them. However, too many projects out gives me anxiety and I end up shoving it all back into storage (rinse, repeat). : ) I've yet to find the sweet spot between forgetfulness & anxiety. My ADHD is quite the balancing act
I also can't work whenever I feel in the mood, as we have 6 cats and live in a totally open loft (we have a front door, a closet door, & a bathroom door). The little attention-pigs flop down right in the middle of my cutting board, climb my design wall, and nap on my projects. "We're helping!" : ) Fortunately they all seem to nap at the same time.

Wow. Sorry to run on - I seem to have needed to write out for myself what is holding me back. Ha! Free therapy.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-29-2019 at 03:15 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps