Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Road Not Taken:  The Quilts You Will Never Make >

The Road Not Taken: The Quilts You Will Never Make

The Road Not Taken: The Quilts You Will Never Make

Old 07-29-2019, 02:03 PM

We currently live between two homes and I cannot easily set up a machine to quilt at one so do EPP when there. I enjoy sewing by hand and have projects planned and fabric in place to last me a decade or so! I consider my hand quilting to be a bit precious and don’t gift it frequently. At my other home I recently treated myself to a new machine and am loving being able to do all the things a good machine can do. I purchase whatever bits I need to do my current creative impulse but in reality buy a small amount compared to output. I don’t have a large amount of completed unused projects that are new. I have several that are kept for sentimental reasons....quilt my kids used in the past.......

Currently I make quilts as gifts for specific people and things like table quilts which are bright and cheerful in my house. I pretty much keep up with need. Both my kids still live at home so I am busy with meals and laundry. I think time is my major constraint.

I unfortunately recently inherited a huge stash of yarn from a dear friend and have absolutely no idea how much I have other the several huge Rubbermaid bins. This fall’s plan is to get it sorted and start using it. I love to make baby sweaters and am planning to start making sets.....a fun quilt on my machine with a matching sweater, vest, hat and booties, and gift generously!
Old 07-29-2019, 02:04 PM

What and why I quilt has changed over the years. At first I wanted to cover beds. Since we only have 2, that didn't take long. Then as gifts. Again small family, didn't take long. I love challenges, so got started on all the "difficult" stuff, hexigons (GFG), DWR, Bargello, needle turn applique, create a block from a picture, matching points, curves, bias covered seams, improvisational, and the list goes on. I did make a hexigon quilt from an artist perspective. DWR was a table runner. OH then there was 'stack n whack', 'one block wonder'. Then several years of artist quilts. And then said, I only do traditional quilts to fit into the group.

Now I'm doing the simplest quilts to use up stash and contribute to comfort quilts. My art quilts are still a passion.

My interests and physical abilities have changed. I no longer am challenged to do traditional quilts. I do use the techniques in artistic accomplishments. Large quilts are too heavy for me to handle. Matching points; is it really necessary?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-29-2019 at 03:15 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 07-29-2019, 03:14 PM

I am in the same situation now. For 45 years I put my own interests behind to meet the pressing needs of a growing family and worked full time to pay for mortgage, etc. When I retired 8 years ago I figure I now had all the time to devote to my quilting hobby. Doesn't seem to work that way. There's still plenty of on-the-spur moments to attend to, and honestly, I seem more interested in catching up with my sleep rather than sitting at the sewing machine. But I have managed to put a dent on my fabric collection, made plenty of quilts for charity, and even joined a quilt guild. And still I go to quilt shows and attend any workshop I can afford so as to learn something new. Although I always stick to most of the 'tried-and-true' methods that I am comfortable with. With so many new gadgets out there for quilters I really have to think hard whether they are worth it or not.
Old 07-29-2019, 03:46 PM

I am single, kids grown w/kids of their own, so basically my time and home are my own. I've had a Croak List for probably 40 yrs now. I have a separate one for Quilts.
Double Wedding Ring
NY Beauty
Mariners Compass
HST Triangle Quilt in more than one size 2”, 3” etc
Storm at Sea
2nd Tennessee Waltz
Cross & Crown
Will I make every quilt on the list? Probably not, but they are goals for "whenever".

Same with my normal Croak List: This list should always be growing. I have moved many items in this list from the To Do, to the Have Done. If I had the money I'd do more of them. I'm 71 and in good health "today" but all that can change in an instant. Here's a sample of the regular list.

Take a European River Cruise From Moscow to St Petersburg
Eat Fish & chips, Crumpets and drink tea in England
Tour Castles/ Cathedrals of England & Europe
Visit St Petersburg Russia, and the Ukraine
Visit Seattle Fish Market and view Mt Rushmore
Eat Blue Crab in Maryland and Lobster in Maine
Football game in every Big 10 and Big 12 Stadium.
Dig for Emeralds in North Carolina
Find Diamond in that Park in Arkansas
Take a Riverboat from Louisville, KY to New Orleans on the Ohio & Mississippi rivers

I don't want much.. LOL
Old 07-29-2019, 05:01 PM

I, too have a list of quilts to make. Now I just have to stop looking at new patterns and "get on" with these.
3 WA state quilts (kits)
one Alaska quilt
T-shirt quilt for my son
Bookcase quilt
Quilt to honor Great Grandmother's farm
Stairs to heaven (with cats on the stairs)
Lighthouse panel quilt (in a kit)
Sawtooth cats
Handkerchief quilt (using my mom's hankies)

So I need to get going!
We also have decided not to have a "bash" for our 50th wedding anniversary next year, but to take some trips to places we've always wanted to see.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Are you writing a thesis?
Not quite. I don't know if you are specifically singling me out, but here goes anyway. I guess it's my long unused academic training in Sociology/Social Work world that's coming out the way this thread was first envisioned. I organize my ideas way before even sketching it out on pen & paper (and/or computer screens nowadays). This is one of these reflective exercises I like to do from time to time. Plus the last 2 quilts I will be doing are being worked out on this sample block below. It's still a bit crude, but it contains all the techniques I will draw on for these 2 quilts that will see the light of day when I am ready for both of them. Then that's it for a long while.

Originally Posted by Jules51 View Post
What a great post, Iona! Loved reading all the comments. This year my goal was no purchasing fabric unless absolutely needed for backing or borders. And I've done that so far...making do with what I have on hand has been real rewarding. I'm happy piecing my quilts, wall hangings, gifts, table runners and placements...I have no interest in the complicated patterns, applique or paper piecing and I'm fine with that. Making charity quilts is now a big priority in my life. They are sewed with love and prayers for who those need them the most.
Thank you.
All of you for making my day!
Attached Thumbnails catherdral-window-resized.jpg  
Old 07-31-2019, 02:00 PM

For all of you that make and donate quilts to your local cancer centre/chemo patients. Thank you! It's not a thing here in Ireland, but I know when I was having chemo a donation of a quilt made with love, would have been so incredibly welcome. Chemo is a hard road and love is what keeps you from falling off it. So don't ever wonder if your donation was appreciated and loved, it was <3