Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Road trip >

Road trip

Road trip

Old 04-24-2016, 12:37 PM

Default Road trip

Going from central Alabama to Omaha, Nebraska in June. Will be going via tunica, ms. Memphis, tn. Kansas City, ks. Plan a side trip to marshals dry goods as it is not that much out of the way. Anywhere else along the way you suggest we make a stop? Will marshals be worth it? Want to get it it itinerary all planned and mapped out. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:51 PM
Power Poster

I guess you will be too far west of MSQC??
Old 04-24-2016, 05:20 PM

MSQC is only about 15 miles east of hwy 35 north of KC. Try and go to Hamilton, MO for MSQC and several others of their shops. It's worth the side trip.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:50 PM

When you leave Marshall Dry Goods, take Hwy 63 north into Missouri. It will take about 3 hours to get to a shop in Licking, MO called the Lucky Dollar. They have a great selection of fabrics less than $5 a yard. You can then continue on Hwy 63 north to I-70 to get to Kansas City. If you want to make the recommended stop at Missouri Star Quilt Co in Hamilton, it will take about 5 hours to get there from Licking. Once in Hamilton, you will be about an hour from Kansas City, MO. If you wish to stop overnight in Hamilton, there is a great B&B just south of town called Home Inn Hamilton.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:10 PM
Power Poster

Marshall's will definitely be worth it. Don't miss it.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:46 PM

Sounds like a dream run.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:20 AM

I made a road trip to Omaha a couple of years ago to celebrate a friend's academic accomplishments. I am a newer quilter and since I drove from Illinois I made different en route stops but once in Omaha I drove about another hour northwest (I believe) to Fremont, Nebraska to a shop called Country Traditions. They were featured (twice) in Quilt Sampler as one of their ten shops to visit to visit in North America. Article below:

http://fremonttribune.com/news/local...9bb2963f4.html

I was not disappointed, the staff was helpful, and they had a lot good fabric on sale for cutting off the bolt or in discounted fat quarters. The shop is HUGE and at the time I went they gave me a free copy of the issue they were feature in free with my purchase.
I also highly recommend visiting the International Quilt Study Center and Museum in Lincoln, Nebraska (also about an hour from Omaha I believe). Great exhibits and a beautiful building.
I hope you have a GREAT road trip and find FUN shops to visit along the way.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:46 AM

I am jealous! Your road trip sounds wonderful as you meander through quilt shops along the way-you have some great choices. We had planned a road trip (to include quilt shops like MSQC and others and railroads-hubby's hobby) but had to opt for airplanes due to time constraints for our son's work schedule. We are going to visit him and his family in the east. Oh, darn. Do enjoy all those special places. I have been to the museum in Lincoln, Nebraska and can tell you it is wonderful. I wouldn't go to Lincoln without stopping. They change their exhibits frequently.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:58 AM

Thank you for suggestions. Will definitely add quilt study center and museum and Fremont. We will be visiting my sister (a quilter) in Omaha for four days and can make that one days excursion. It is just mom (also a quilter) and I going on this trip so no one will complain about all the quilty side trips! Didn't even think of MSQC, thanks, plotting it out on the map. We are leaving June 3 and have no set day to be home so can go wherever we want, just told the guys we would be gone for about 1 1/2 weeks. Plan to make stops coming and going.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:47 AM

Ok, got the coming home part down. Going from Omaha to Hamilton to MSQC then to Springfield for the night. Next morning on to batesville for marshal dry goods then on to tunica ms for the night, then home. Still working on the going up part.