Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary cutter problem >

Rotary cutter problem

Rotary cutter problem

Old 12-07-2013, 07:02 PM

I guess they are www.savethegouldian.net now?

All I can say is, whether it's the thickness or the embedded seeds, flannel is not something I am going to be using every day. But this flannel couch quilt with wool batting really is special - to me...I would like to make some more as gifts if I can work out this seed situation.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:21 PM

why are you cutting on the floor? I've been quilting almost forever & I've tried all the cheap shortcuts but I find that Olfa blades & the "old style" Olfa cutter give the best results. If you're cutting in the same spot all the time, the mat will wear out & then the cutter skips. I have also been quilting so long I've actually worn out a cutter (or two). the edges of the plastic behind the blade get worn. Another thing that is possible is that you have 2 blades in the cutter. Don't laugh you would not be the first person to do this. they're very thin & CAN stick together. good luck
Old 12-07-2013, 07:48 PM
Power Poster

also the rotary cutter must be put back together exactly as it's taken apart. the curved thing must fit on correctly or your blade won't work right. Good luck.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:46 PM

My rotary cutter blade became really loose (wobbly) and I had no control over the blade.
The blade was hitting the ruler at various locations along the straight edge, DH looked at it, and then put in a small washer on the same side as the screw, spring and plastic - not on the blade side, that tightened up the blade and no more problems with the cutter or blade being wobbly.

My blade was nicked from hitting the straight edge of the ruler. I purchase all my Olfa blades from LP Sharp, and
have found no problems with these blades. I also send them my used blades, I just don't like to put dispose of them myself.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:52 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

You know, it's obvious many responders did not bother to read beyond the original post before they answered with their own thoughts, could have saved themselves and others some time. It's just a courtesy to do this.
Many had great suggestions, and it's been good fun to find out that BIRD SEED was the cause of this unique problem!! Whodda thunk it?! Bet that particular one won't be a problem for most of us.

Jan in VA
Old 12-08-2013, 12:57 AM

I don't agree with the flannel is tough on blades. I sew a lot with flannel. Matter of fact probably 90% of the time. I do agree with the hitting the blade just right on the ruler will pit the blade. I've done it. I have metal 3 and 4ft rulers as well as wood and a 18 in plastic quilters ruler. With the wood...I've accidentally shaved it down here and there. The plastic(acrylic)...Never an issue. But the metal...Well even though they are my favorite, I have to be very careful how I cut. Those are the ones I pit my blades with. Not often cause I've learned. I don't have much space so I put my cutting mats on my ironing board. I used to always cut on the floor also till I got smart. My knees started hurting. Ironing boards...Quick up...Quick down. The boards can have groves but at the most it can make the blade skip. If you get a "GUM" eraser and run it in the groves in the mat, it will help reseal and extend the life of the board.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:38 AM

So glad you figured it out!!! A no I'm not going to read through 6 pages but more than willing to be supportive!
Old 12-08-2013, 04:52 AM

Birdseed! Now that's one we'd never have figured out! Glad your lqs did. Your birds are gorgeous, btw.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:22 AM

Glad the problem is solved!! I agree with JustAbitCrazy, certainly one we would have never figured out!! And those birds oh my goodness they are beautiful. Enjoy your new quilt : )
Old 12-08-2013, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by davis2se View Post
Probably a crazy question - but are you totally sure that you only have ONE blade in your cutter? Twice in the past several years I have replaced blades in my Olfa cutter and realized, after bad, bad, bad cuts, that I had 2 blades in the cutter. They are so thin, and seem to stick together so well that it is not a hard thing to do - to put 2 stuck together blades in the cutter.

happened to me also.....had put two blades in by mistake