Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary cutter problem >

Rotary cutter problem

Rotary cutter problem

Old 12-08-2013, 05:04 PM

Thank you all for your help with this problem - even though no one has had the embedded seed problem (who would have?), your comments helped by allowing me to eliminate every other possibility!

Best wishes,

Lainey
Old 12-08-2013, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by mommafank View Post
Well I am one who did not read the whole post--------someone should delete this whole thread now that we know the anwser.
I for one am glad that someone doesn't delete a post such as this once "you" know the answer, otherwise I would not have enjoyed reading all the possible reasons for blade malfunctions. And BTW I always read all of the posts before adding my ideas so that they are not repeats.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by davis2se View Post
Probably a crazy question - but are you totally sure that you only have ONE blade in your cutter? Twice in the past several years I have replaced blades in my Olfa cutter and realized, after bad, bad, bad cuts, that I had 2 blades in the cutter. They are so thin, and seem to stick together so well that it is not a hard thing to do - to put 2 stuck together blades in the cutter.
This was my first thought also. I thought I had a bad batch of blades when the problem was that I had installed two blades instead of one. Be very careful when you are checking! Guess why I am urging caution? froggyinetxas
Old 12-08-2013, 08:58 PM

I do not have this brand of cutter but,While I was cutting flannel back in the summer at my mothers I went throught 3 blades very quickly. All I could find was because of the oil on the blades from factory I picked up a lot of lent. This caused the blades to run a little uneven, I made sure the blades were tightened down as tight as I could get them.But they wobbled some. That is all I ever found that might have caused all 3 blades to nick. One time after that I also had 2 blades in also.Just to many things going on at the same time caused me to make mistakes.

Last edited by nightquilter; 12-08-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by lainealex View Post
I guess they are www.savethegouldian.net now?

All I can say is, whether it's the thickness or the embedded seeds, flannel is not something I am going to be using every day. But this flannel couch quilt with wool batting really is special - to me...I would like to make some more as gifts if I can work out this seed situation.
If the seeds are coming from your washing machine, maybe you could take your next batch of flannel to a laundry mat to wash it? May cost a bit more than washing at home, but a heck of a lot less than replacing all those nicked blades.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by OldHairTwister View Post
I for one am glad that someone doesn't delete a post such as this once "you" know the answer, otherwise I would not have enjoyed reading all the possible reasons for blade malfunctions. And BTW I always read all of the posts before adding my ideas so that they are not repeats.
Old Hair Twister----I was just being funny about deleting post----guess it did not come off that way.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:16 AM

I would have never thought that birdseed could mess up blades. As sharp as the blades are I would have thought they'd just be cut in half. Your birds are so pretty. My problem is I always nick the side of my ruler so I never have to wonder why my blade is bad.