Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rotary Cutters and Mats

welcome from virginia ...I use my green olfa mat most often.....45mm olfa rotary cutters...
    Proud Mother of Sarah Grey
    Grey's Fabric and Notions
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/greysfabric?ref=seller_info

I use a Fiskars mat here at home. Grey with yellow lines. And I have a Fiskars cutter, too.

But at the shop we have Olfa and use Olfa cutters as well. I like both brands and have no trouble switching back and forth.

I refuse to use anything other than Creative Grids rulers. They are the best...lines marked well, 1/8" increments, built-in grippers on the back, and very accurate.

Blog Entries
    I like the Olfa cutting mats and rotary cutters. I LOVE my 6 x 24 O'lipfa ruler (I think that is how it is spelled). It has a lip on it so it is easy to line up and make sure the ruler is square with the mat before you cut. As budget allows, it is nice to have cutters in different sizes - I use my 45mm most, but also use a 60mm and a 28mm often. If I could only buy one cutter, I would go with the 45mm.
    Good luck and welcome to the world of quilting! You are going to love it!
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

Blog Entries
    I would buy an Olfa mat and on a ruler fund one that you are comfortable reading. I can no longer read the yellow ones so use only clear ones with big numbers. Welcome to the board.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    I have a big 24" x 72" cutting mat. I got a bargain on it and couldn't pass it up. I am so happy I bought a really big mat. It was an investment, but I have sooooo much cutting room. I also use Olfa rotary cutters, 45mm. And I use Olfa rulers, too. And it's true, each brand of ruler is a tad different from each other. I agree with Tartan about buying one of the new rulers that your rotary cutters ride in. I have cut myself too many times. I'm thinking about buying one for myself.
    I bought both of my mats at a Remote Control Model Shop(DH's hobby-one of many !!lol) a while ago and paid OODLES less than one at any fabric store.. so maybe that is a thought .. it has a few extra items for the RC'er in the family, but has a great grid system. One is grey and one is green, I use them both and are the same thing as the mats that Olfa makes (probably the same manufacturer just for a different type of hobbyist!)
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

JoAnn's Online has all their rotary cutters for 50% off right now.
    Amythyst

I have always used Omnigrid rulers as well. Someone already told you to stick with one brand so they measure the same. Although I have always used the green Olfa mats, this time I wanted a different color-the green gets boring after so many years! I bought a blue Dritz and love it. I can't tell a bit of difference between the two brands.
    Even though you may not want to ever have to buy these things again, they do wear out and will eventually need replacing.
    Karen in Kentucky

I really like the Olfa cutters as well, they close automatically when you put them down. But I found a Martelli ergonomic cutter at the Mid-Atlantic quilt festival and decided to give it a try. It's becoming my favorite cutter now. My wrist doesn't hurt, that was the first thing I noticed after I started using it.

I found a video on youtube showing what it looks like, and a quilter is describing how it works. She does a better job explaining than I could! Video of the Martelli ergo rotary cutter
    https://quiltdasher.blogspot.com

I like to make lists. I also like to leave them laying on my sewing table and then guess what's on the list while at the fabric store. Fun game.

Quote Originally Posted by AUQuilter View Post
    I have the Olfa mat 24X36 and the 45mm Olfa Cutter that I use the most. I also have two smaller Olfa mats, a rotating mat and the 28mm cutter. Just use your 50% off coupon at JoAnn's or watch for their 50% off sale on the quilting items.
    I love my rotating mat & it is worth every penny I spent on it. You don't need it for every project but when you do need it, it is wonderful.
    Dance like no one is watching

Welcome to the quilting board! I use a fiskars rotary, works fine, and an Alto's QuiltCut 2, so don't use a mat very much.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Blog Entries
    Before you buy check walmart if you have one I got the June Taylor shape cut for $5.00. Mats and rotary cutters there too
    Patski
    always learning

I prefer the "ergonomic" retractable Olfa cutters and the Olfa mats, including the revolving ones. However, you sometimes need to air them out first. I do have a larger cutting mat on my cutting table from JoAnns.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2