Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rotary cutting mats

JoAnns are an anomaly around this town every one is about 1.5 hour drive in any direction Hobby lobby is new in town and just up the road a piece. I bought a June Taylor mat it’s 23 x35. It was regular priced at 29.99 I used the 40% off coupon so it was about $19. Not sure how it will last but it’s got to be better than my plywood makeshift cutting mat. I think They had a few olfa mats not sure. I debated on the smaller cut and press mat. I hate pulling out the ironing board. I’m an amateur so not sure what makes a great mat.
    Thanks for all the information.

June Taylor is hard surface mat. That means the rotary blade glides on the top and does not cut into the mat. A self healing mat like Olfa the blade cuts into the mat. Industries use hard surface mats because the blades used last longer. Many quilters think the opposite. It's a matter of choice so don't get to hung up on which mat is the best. You'll learn the difference when trying different brands.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I have a Martelli & Quilters Select. Like them both, it just depends which room I'm in for cutting. Small QS in my sewing room, Martelli on the kitchen island for now. I do have a cut and press. Size is fine for pressing small items but the cutting side is terrible after using a self healing mat.

I have a 24"x36" Olfa mat I've had for Years. It is wavy now as it got too close to the iron. I want to replace it with a larger mat. I read online Martelli is good, but distributor is back ordered until May. Having difficulty finding Martelli, Alvin, and Adir Mats. Suggestions, please. Thank you!!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; Yesterday at 05:22 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

I will buy Quilter's Select mats from now on after having the large one for all my cutting. I don't expect a mat to last for years no matter what brand it is. I don't keep old mats either. I don't see the reason for keeping them in case I need them. For what? LOL
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I use both Olfa and June Tailor mats. My main complaint about the June Tailor is it has warped over time, maybe from constant cutting on one side (since it only has a cutting surface on one side). My Olfa mats I use both sides depending on what I'm cutting.
    www.makeminepatchwork.etsy.com
    "Piecin' a quilt's like livin' a life...The Lord sends us the pieces, but we can cut 'em out and put 'em together pretty much to suit ourselves, and there's a heap more in the cuttin' and the sewin' than there is in the caliker...I've had a heap of comfort all my life making quilts, and now in my old age I wouldn't take a fortune for them." (Eliza Calvert Hall, Aunt Jane of Kentucky)

Quote Originally Posted by pewa88 View Post
    I have a Martelli mat and did not use their cutter as a rule and my mat has deep grooves in it and it no longer self heals. I contacted them concerning this and the company told me it was because I did not use their cutter. I will not buy another one, too expensive to only use a specific cutter, in my opinion.
    I've only used their cutter and my mat has deep grooves, too. I just had the Quilter's Select mat delivered, hope I will like that one better.
    Lisa

How old are the mats you have deep grooves in? If over a few years then I think you got the value out of it.

My Martelli is just a few months old.

I see that the Quilter's Select is much lighter; that's a relief, the Martelli was difficult for me to handle.
    Lisa

Martelli doesn't say you have to use their blades, its their cutters they say you have to use because the way they are designed the action is more up and down and less slanted. The idea being that if you do a slanted cut and then and up and down one, you may cut a skinny little chunk out of your mat. That'll leave a mark...

Blog Entries
    Dougstermd, Any mat should be better than the plywood deal you had, but it was clever of you to try that way first. I have used Olfa, Altos, Martelli, and other mats. It seems to really be a personal preference. I don't like the green mats. I have a mat that's yellow on one side and pink on the other. I really like it, because of the way the fabrics show up on those colors. So, in other words, when your current one wears out and you think you'd like to try another brand, go for it! Also, there are things you can do to extend the mat's life. There are threads on here, but I don't know how to link you to them. Most of the ideas include soaking it. Enjoy the process.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

You gave me such a laugh. Can only picture you slicing and dicing on the wooden crate and your interpretation of the great one is spot on. If great one were to ever use a rotary cutter, do you suppose he'd slice through the favorite long red tie? No matter what mat you decide on, keeping a fresh blade in the cutter is what gives the mats decent longevity. I have a tendency to bear down much harder on the cutter than necessary which does help.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougstermd View Post
    So I’m thinking I want to buy a rotary cutting mat. I have a 25 inch square plywood shipping container to I have been cutting on. In my best trump voice...”its really fabulous. I have already drawn the greatest marks on it. It’s really nice the best in the world others might want to copy it but its fantastic.
    looking on eBay seems mats are the same price as at Walmart. I’m thinking I would like to build a cutting table.

Not your question at all, but I got a 12 inch rotating mat for Christmas and absolutely love it -- as something you may consider in future, after you buy your first large non-rotating mat.

The large flat one I use -- the non-rotating kind -- is an Olfa and I've had it for years, in fact the only large one I've bought. It's green -- a good color, I think, as a background for most fabrics -- and is pretty cut up in the center but still quite usable. The really big ones are better, of course, but mine has served my needs quite nicely so far, and I've made a lot of quilts using it.

But keep in mind a small rotating one, too .....when you're ready.
    Last edited by Friday1961; Yesterday at 03:48 PM.

I have a Martelli mat, and I use Olfa rotary cutters. I've had no issues. I also use the Olfa mats and like them just as much. I haven't tried the Quilters Select but would like to try them - love the rulers.

I've read/heard that the Martelli mats, you can only use Their blades, and I've tried their cutters and don't like them. Regardless, I wouldn't buy them, because I like all purpose. To me, you have a mat, you should be able to use any rotary cutter on it.[/QUOTE]
    BJ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2