Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rotary cutting mats

Rotary cutting mats

So Im thinking I want to buy a rotary cutting mat. I have a 25 inch square plywood shipping container to I have been cutting on. In my best trump voice...its really fabulous. I have already drawn the greatest marks on it. Its really nice the best in the world others might want to copy it but its fantastic.
    looking on eBay seems mats are the same price as at Walmart. Im thinking I would like to build a cutting table.

My favorite is the Quilters Select by Alex Anderson.
    Harriet
    https://www.facebook.com/Thelaststitch
    Handi Quilter International Educator

I have used Olfa mats for Years.............yes, they last that long. I've thought about the Martelli, but since mine are still good I won't invest in one of theirs until these give up the ghost, so to say. lol
    Jennifer: Organized in my dreams.
    🌷RIP dear Tigger....you are missed!
    Buddybear's Mom ...Yorkie Fur Baby

I was given an Olfa mat for Christmas a few years ago and have really liked it a lot.

Olfa is by far my favorite. If you have a Joann's near you, you can usually catch a good sale with a coupon. I purchased a 30 x 72 with a 60% coupon and love it. It covers my dining room table (my dining room has become my sewing studio).

Right now I'm doing a lot of small cutting (foundation paper piecing) and have put a smaller mat on top of where I always sit and cut so I won't wear the matt out in one spot.

I have a 17 x 24 (or so) version of Alex Anderson's quilter's select. And since I didn't start on it, I have a hard time getting use to the slickness of it. It pairs nicely with her rulers which stick to the fabric more. I just don't use it much.
    ( `v )
    `.. ♥
    ..) .*) Sheri in Texas
    (. (. .
    a stitch in time saves nine.....

Blog Entries
    I would think the plywood would be hard on your rotary blades. I've always used Olfa and have liked them. I don't shop at Walmart, but I buy mats at JoAnn's with their coupons or when they have a good sale, which is often.

Leslie

Blog Entries
    I have a Martello mat and I love it. They do 50% off sales a couple times a year too. I used to have an Olfa mat, it was ok but the Martello is better in my opinion.
    Be the change you wish to see in the world.
    ~Mahatma Ghandi

Blog Entries
    I purchased a Martelli mat about a year ago and like Pamela, I love it. I have not seen the Quilter’s Select mat but love their rulers...I have at least three of them.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

I have Olfa mats, a friend of mine just bought me an Omnigrid mat, and I absolutely Hate it. I don't want to hurt her feelings though, so I still have it on my cutting table, just on the other side of where I usually cut.

I've read/heard that the Martelli mats, you can only use Their blades, and I've tried their cutters and don't like them. Regardless, I wouldn't buy them, because I like all purpose. To me, you have a mat, you should be able to use any rotary cutter on it.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-17-2019 at 05:20 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

I find using a self-healing mat saves on my blades. I built my cutting table around the size mat I could order online. Couldn't find one to fit my present cutting table so went the other way around. Got a piece of plywood 4 x 8 x 5/8" thick, slapped it on top of 2 enclosed cabinets, attached it with "L" brackets below and then added another shelve halfway down for more storage. I also added a piece of trim just about an .125 up from the edge to keep the mat from moving around but that was a moot point as the mat was so heavy it was not going to shift on me. Still it finished my plywood edges nicely too.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Quote Originally Posted by hcarpanini View Post
    My favorite is the Quilters Select by Alex Anderson.

I like Quilter's Select the best. I have used all brands. QS is the brand I'll continue to buy. I think the QS products are the top quality quilting products on the market right now.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I've read/heard that the Martelli mats, you can only use Their blades
    Martelli may suggest that of course but it's not true. I the Martelli mat on my Roudabout and on a Alto Cut II. I don't use their blades and both mats are fine.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-17-2019 at 05:21 AM.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I have used the olfa cutting mats for years. I have all sizes and my smallest one finally wore out with a lot of wear and tear so I flipped it over and have been using that side for a couple of years. I highly recommend Olfa cutting mats and I agree with "Sheri.a" about using a coupon and purchasing the mat at JoAnn's if you have one near you.

Blog Entries
    I love my Olfa mats. I have a large one I bought at Joann’s with a coupon and a small one I use when I am making small quilts. I am very happy with them.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

I've used Martelli mats for years - I have a large one on a cutting table, the Round About, and a small one next to my sewing machine - and have never had a problem using Olfa cutters. I have their cutter, bc it's supposed to be good for your hand/wrist as far as ergonomics go, but it's an odd angle to me.

Blog Entries
    shipping on a cutting mat is crazy expensive. Check locally
    Patski
    always learning

I bought a Quilters Select and absolutely love it. Also their rulers are awesome.

I too am a huge fan of Quilters Select. Both their mats and especially their non-slip rulers. I won't use anything else (and believe me, I've tried them all!). LOL
    I'd rather be at the lake

Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

I have a Martelli mat and did not use their cutter as a rule and my mat has deep grooves in it and it no longer self heals. I contacted them concerning this and the company told me it was because I did not use their cutter. I will not buy another one, too expensive to only use a specific cutter, in my opinion.

I have a Martelli matt and have used it everyday for about 10 years. Have used all types of blades and cutters and find it still performs great. If you have deep grooves in your matt, the blades may not have been very sharp and it would put grooves in any brand of board. JMHO
    Peace, Brenda

I have only used Olfa mats and only buy from Walmart.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I have a Fiskars mat that I got with a coupon from Joann's. It works fine. I am very interested in what makes a mat good. My mat has nice markings, and self heals. It is double sided. One side light, one side dark. So what makes an expensive Martelli mat better? What makes any mat better? Other than a super cheap one that doesn't self heal.

Quilters select rulers and mat. I have several different sizes of Olfa which I will keep. When visiting my sister over the holidays, I got a good price on QS mat, cutter, and ruler to use while visiting her. I already had the large 24" one that I use constantly. Recently I ordered 2 more of the QS rulers. I really, really like the rulers. Like everything else it's whatever you happen to like. QS rulers do not slip. You can turn fabric when cutting if you are using the ruler and mat together. Nice feature. It seems like the mats all last quite a long time so if you are going to invest, I'd go with the QS.

Does everyone think a mat should last for years? I replace the one I use the most every two years or so.

JoAnns are an anomaly around this town every one is about 1.5 hour drive in any direction Hobby lobby is new in town and just up the road a piece. I bought a June Taylor mat it’s 23 x35. It was regular priced at 29.99 I used the 40% off coupon so it was about $19. Not sure how it will last but it’s got to be better than my plywood makeshift cutting mat. I think They had a few olfa mats not sure. I debated on the smaller cut and press mat. I hate pulling out the ironing board. I’m an amateur so not sure what makes a great mat.
    Thanks for all the information.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast