Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary cutting mats >

Rotary cutting mats

Rotary cutting mats

Old 02-13-2019, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by pewa88 View Post
I have a Martelli mat and did not use their cutter as a rule and my mat has deep grooves in it and it no longer self heals. I contacted them concerning this and the company told me it was because I did not use their cutter. I will not buy another one, too expensive to only use a specific cutter, in my opinion.
I've only used their cutter and my mat has deep grooves, too. I just had the Quilter's Select mat delivered, hope I will like that one better.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:24 AM
Power Poster

How old are the mats you have deep grooves in? If over a few years then I think you got the value out of it.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:59 AM

My Martelli is just a few months old.

I see that the Quilter's Select is much lighter; that's a relief, the Martelli was difficult for me to handle.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:10 PM

Martelli doesn't say you have to use their blades, its their cutters they say you have to use because the way they are designed the action is more up and down and less slanted. The idea being that if you do a slanted cut and then and up and down one, you may cut a skinny little chunk out of your mat. That'll leave a mark...
Old 02-17-2019, 01:29 PM

Dougstermd, Any mat should be better than the plywood deal you had, but it was clever of you to try that way first. I have used Olfa, Altos, Martelli, and other mats. It seems to really be a personal preference. I don't like the green mats. I have a mat that's yellow on one side and pink on the other. I really like it, because of the way the fabrics show up on those colors. So, in other words, when your current one wears out and you think you'd like to try another brand, go for it! Also, there are things you can do to extend the mat's life. There are threads on here, but I don't know how to link you to them. Most of the ideas include soaking it. Enjoy the process.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:36 PM

You gave me such a laugh. Can only picture you slicing and dicing on the wooden crate and your interpretation of the great one is spot on. If great one were to ever use a rotary cutter, do you suppose he'd slice through the favorite long red tie? No matter what mat you decide on, keeping a fresh blade in the cutter is what gives the mats decent longevity. I have a tendency to bear down much harder on the cutter than necessary which does help.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dougstermd View Post
So I’m thinking I want to buy a rotary cutting mat. I have a 25 inch square plywood shipping container to I have been cutting on. In my best trump voice...”its really fabulous. I have already drawn the greatest marks on it. It’s really nice the best in the world others might want to copy it but its fantastic.
looking on eBay seems mats are the same price as at Walmart. I’m thinking I would like to build a cutting table.

Not your question at all, but I got a 12 inch rotating mat for Christmas and absolutely love it -- as something you may consider in future, after you buy your first large non-rotating mat.

The large flat one I use -- the non-rotating kind -- is an Olfa and I've had it for years, in fact the only large one I've bought. It's green -- a good color, I think, as a background for most fabrics -- and is pretty cut up in the center but still quite usable. The really big ones are better, of course, but mine has served my needs quite nicely so far, and I've made a lot of quilts using it.

But keep in mind a small rotating one, too .....when you're ready.

Last edited by Friday1961; 02-17-2019 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:19 PM

I have a Martelli mat, and I use Olfa rotary cutters. I've had no issues. I also use the Olfa mats and like them just as much. I haven't tried the Quilters Select but would like to try them - love the rulers.

I've read/heard that the Martelli mats, you can only use Their blades, and I've tried their cutters and don't like them. Regardless, I wouldn't buy them, because I like all purpose. To me, you have a mat, you should be able to use any rotary cutter on it.[/QUOTE]
Old 02-19-2019, 04:26 PM

I finally used my hard surface June Taylor mat. Yes each cut left a little scar. It performs better than my plywood cutting board in that it gets a clean cut with less downward pressure. I don’t like how slippery the hard surface is. I had to really concentrate so I didn’t end up with a jagged cut. I thought someone mentioned a no slip ruler?