Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary cutting,....ugh.... >

Rotary cutting,....ugh....

Rotary cutting,....ugh....

Old 08-13-2010, 09:42 AM

Take note of how the lines on the ruler line up with the edge of the fabric. On the Omni there is a blue line with yellow on each side of it. Try to place the ruler the same way each time. Cut with the rotary cutter short distances and carefully move the hand holding the ruler. If you try to over reach the ruler will slide. It can also help to have the thumb and 2 fingers on the ruler and the other 2 fingers on the mat to help stabilize it. It takes practice and patience. Good Luck.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:51 AM

I think it just tyakes patience and practice and also very shap blades. But be carefull!
Old 08-13-2010, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by OdessaQuilts
I agree with Donna, I thought it could be your seams, but then I went back and re-read your original post. If I understand correctly, you are discovering problems when you put 2 pieces together to sew them, right? If that's where you're noticing the problem, there are fixes.

First, are you holding your cutter so the blade is straight up and down? You do not want to "angle-in" toward your ruler, as this will give you an "off" cut. If one cut is angled and the next one straight, your block is going to be "off".

Secondly, why are you only cutting one layer at a time? A 45mm blade can easily cut 4 layers without difficulty. If you've got your fabrics laid out nicely, you can certainly get accurate cuts easier (I believe) with more than 1 layer of fabric. (Please don't take this as a "snippy" comment, I'm just trying to understand...)

When you cut, how are you holding the ruler? Many people put a lot of downward pressure on the ruler, which can actually move it during the cutting process. Obviously, you don't want that "shift" to happen, so use a lighter touch. Also, one of the things I hit upon when I first started rotary cutting is to keep the heel of my hand and my little finger just off the edge of the ruler. This gives me a little more security in "feeling" if the ruler is drifting.

Don't apply too much pressure from the blade up against the ruler. This can also cause shifting of the ruler and therefore, a "wonky" cut piece.

A sharp blade is very important.

Also, if your pieces are off by a thread or two, it should be okay. Lay them together so they are as centered as they can be, and sew with a 1/4" seam just as you normally would. If you are seeing a thread or two of the underneath fabric, it's okay - just use that edge to line up on your machine/foot/line for your 1/4". If the two pieces are more than a couple threads off (like perhaps 1/8" or more), you should re-cut.

Finally, if these tips don't help you, I'd recommend that you go to your LQS, if you have one nearby, and ask someone there for some help. I wouldn't recommend a big chain store, because sometimes they're just too busy. But a LQS is there to provide SERVICE TO THE CUSTOMER. They WANT you to be happy and successful, because that is what will keep you coming back and their doors open! Ask if you can bring in some fabrics and your tools and have someone watch you cut. They may be able to pick up on something that we can't necessarily "see" from this board and the help will be invaluable to you.

I hope that this will help you to have a better cutting experience. Good luck and let us know how you make out!

Odessa
Your post really helped me with my cutting. Thanks. I did ask @ my LQS and was told to loosen the screw. Made a world of difference also ... finger tight for me was too tight!
Old 08-13-2010, 03:24 PM

Are you using a mat for you measurements? Or the ruler? I have a mat that is not true to size. after few mistakes, I realized the problem.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:44 PM

Odessa, you rock!
Old 08-13-2010, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by stefanib123
I am having problems! I've been practicing and practicing my rotary cutting and somehow its still "off".

I've searched all the threads on here, follow all the tips and still when I put my blocks together, they still aren't exact.

I put some sandpaper on the back of my rulers yesterday and that helped a lot with it slipping. I starch the crap out of everything. I'm really careful when cutting, and only cut one layer at a time.

And I am STILL getting blocks that aren't right! They look fine on my mat but, when I go to put two together to sew them, they are different!

What am I doing? Or not doing?
Could it be your 1/4 inch seam might be off. Have you checked out Accuquilt GO cutters. It makes life so much easier. Good luck.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:50 PM

there is one thing you can try. I don't know what it is called, but it is a ruler with a "lip" at the top and you slide it along the cutting mat. or you can turn it upside down and hold it at the top and it won't move. It helps me to make straight cuts and I just wish I could get it in all sizes!
Old 08-13-2010, 03:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by OdessaQuilts
I agree with Donna, I thought it could be your seams, but then I went back and re-read your original post. If I understand correctly, you are discovering problems when you put 2 pieces together to sew them, right? If that's where you're noticing the problem, there are fixes.

First, are you holding your cutter so the blade is straight up and down? You do not want to "angle-in" toward your ruler, as this will give you an "off" cut. If one cut is angled and the next one straight, your block is going to be "off".

Secondly, why are you only cutting one layer at a time? A 45mm blade can easily cut 4 layers without difficulty. If you've got your fabrics laid out nicely, you can certainly get accurate cuts easier (I believe) with more than 1 layer of fabric. (Please don't take this as a "snippy" comment, I'm just trying to understand...)

When you cut, how are you holding the ruler? Many people put a lot of downward pressure on the ruler, which can actually move it during the cutting process. Obviously, you don't want that "shift" to happen, so use a lighter touch. Also, one of the things I hit upon when I first started rotary cutting is to keep the heel of my hand and my little finger just off the edge of the ruler. This gives me a little more security in "feeling" if the ruler is drifting.

Don't apply too much pressure from the blade up against the ruler. This can also cause shifting of the ruler and therefore, a "wonky" cut piece.

A sharp blade is very important.

Also, if your pieces are off by a thread or two, it should be okay. Lay them together so they are as centered as they can be, and sew with a 1/4" seam just as you normally would. If you are seeing a thread or two of the underneath fabric, it's okay - just use that edge to line up on your machine/foot/line for your 1/4". If the two pieces are more than a couple threads off (like perhaps 1/8" or more), you should re-cut.

Finally, if these tips don't help you, I'd recommend that you go to your LQS, if you have one nearby, and ask someone there for some help. I wouldn't recommend a big chain store, because sometimes they're just too busy. But a LQS is there to provide SERVICE TO THE CUSTOMER. They WANT you to be happy and successful, because that is what will keep you coming back and their doors open! Ask if you can bring in some fabrics and your tools and have someone watch you cut. They may be able to pick up on something that we can't necessarily "see" from this board and the help will be invaluable to you.

I hope that this will help you to have a better cutting experience. Good luck and let us know how you make out!

Odessa
Thank you for the information, I to have not figured this out. God bless.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by lab fairy
Originally Posted by Donna - Batiks
I hate cutting with rotary blade when it is a longer piece. I have a ruler I bought at Wal Mart for $30. You can not always find it there and the quilt shops say they won't sell it because there is no profit BUT! if you have trouble with wobbly/wonka cutting this ruler is great. The blade is ATTACHED to the ruler! You can't cut "off". It's also a 24 inch ruler so yeah! Large pieces! It's made by Fisker's. I would not trade it for the world!
See if you can find one because I got it when I was a new quilter because the rotary really scared me and with this WOW! I have been quilting about 10 years and still go to it first.
Also check your quarter inch on your foot for sewing. If you are squaring your blocks it's probably that!
You can find that "roto ruler" at Nancy's Notions. I have one too. Bought it years ago and have used it for many projects that weren't quilting (I have a posterboard dedicated blade for my kid projects. I love precise cuts.) It uses the normal Fiskar 45 mm replacement blades. LOVE IT. It is the go to cutter for long straight cuts at my house.
Boy, do I need this gizmo!! I looked on Nancy's Notions website and saw what is called a 'Donna Dewberry Strip Cutter'. Is this what you are talking about? I have to sit while I cut, since my back is so bad, and if this strip cutter is what you are talking about, I am certainly going to get it. Thanks in advance for your reply.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:40 PM

Hi,

Have you thought to check your 1/4" seam allowance - sometimes if you are using a 1/4" foot the seam allowance can still be out - you may have to move your needle position to correct this.

Good luck

Jennyquilts .