Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 8 9

Thread: Row Round Robin Christmas Theme for 2009! Groups Assigned see page 8

margie that is NO WAY a begginer row you did AWESOME.
    If you want top see beginer go look at my row in the picture topic :roll:

tHANKS so much Joyce, but there a lot of mistakes you cant see in the picture. But I appreciate the compliments.

Margie

TY Jan,

I thought the paper piecing was pretty easy. I printed out the tutorial on Quilter's Cache, printed out the patterns on vellum and followed it step by step. I made some mistakes and had to redo some pieces, but it is kind of fun once you get on to it.

Yes, some of the pieces are embroidered. I embroidered the wreath and the candles. I LOVE MY embroidery machines and actually do a lot of "story" quilts with embroidery...but I havent done much piecing, I embroider the blocks and use simple blocks in between. I also do a lot of raggety quilts...but I have never done REAL quilting/piecing before...so I found the paper piecing helpful.

Thank you for your kind words.

Margie

Thanks Ms. Sage, but I truly am a novice at piecing....I have made simple blocks sewn together with a sashing...but not pieced blocks. I am very nervous about working on other peoples quilts, but I will try to do a good job. I think it is good for me to try and stretch a little. I have only stayed in my comfort zone.

TY SOOO MUCH for your compliments :)

Margie

Margie, your row is gorgeous. :thumbup: The embroidery sets off the other paper pieced blocks so well. You need to do more of those blocks. I think you've found your niche. I want to do paper piecing (I love to piece), but I haven't been adventurous enough to get started with a project. I helped00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 my GD finish up a project that she had begun at Martha Pullen's school. It was the jelly jars filled with bugs. So cute. And so much fun.

:? OOps. I nodded off for a second. Can you tell where? Time to hit the sack.

Blog Entries
    Margie,
    Your row is just lovely. I love the extra embroidery. Maybe when you get my center you could do something for it??????

2 Doods, I got your center today! It is just beautiful. I'm really looking forward to playing with it.

Gail....ty so much for kind words. I like paper piecing.. I was puzzled though because I followed directions I printed out and followed step by step....set machine stitch lower, supported stitching when tore paper off, used vellum etc. When I removed paper, stitches were loopy. I asked about it on live chat last night and found out that the vellum I used was too heavy... I bought it at Joann's in scrapbooking/paper department. DONT make that mistake. It was wonderful to work with, but apparently too thick. There is another vellum for paper pieceing (who knew..not me) and it is thinner. So it you try it use the one for paper piecing OR someone said they buy the tablets for kids to draw on at office depot and it is blank newsprint(once again I didnt know that). SO I learned something else new too lol.

Margie :)

Hi Purplemem,

Thank you for the kind words. I love machine embroidery and will be happy to add some to your row when I get it. I have question though....you referred to it as your "CENTER"??? Are we supposed to keep your row in CENTER and add our above or below? If that is the case, I am glad you said that cause I didnt know!! I can add all embroidered blocks, a few or just one...whatever your preference.

Blog Entries
    No, Margie, I just mis-spoke. :oops: I should have said Row, didn't mean to make the mistake. And you just add the next row. You will be great, don't worry, this is fun! :D

Quote Originally Posted by Margie
    Gail....ty so much for kind words. I like paper piecing.. I was puzzled though because I followed directions I printed out and followed step by step....set machine stitch lower, supported stitching when tore paper off, used vellum etc. When I removed paper, stitches were loopy. I asked about it on live chat last night and found out that the vellum I used was too heavy... I bought it at Joann's in scrapbooking/paper department. DONT make that mistake. It was wonderful to work with, but apparently too thick. There is another vellum for paper pieceing (who knew..not me) and it is thinner. So it you try it use the one for paper piecing OR someone said they buy the tablets for kids to draw on at office depot and it is blank newsprint(once again I didnt know that). SO I learned something else new too lol.

Thanks for the vellum tip. I don't have an embroidery machine, but I do use paper or stabelizer under decorative stitching. When I do the baptismal bibs I use ordinary "typing" paper. (Stabelizer got to be too expensive.) Of course I discard the needle after a session of bibs. (Actually, I don't throw the needle away. I just keep them aside for when I have things like jeans or such to mend.)
    Tearing away the paper is so easy. The needle perforates it enough to just tear it off without disturbing the stitches.

In using the newsprint, I would be sure to try and remove all traces of it. It yellows so much that I wouldn't want the fabric to be affected from it.

Thanks purplemem, I marked it down that 2 dood's row arrived safely at your home.

I want to take a spare moment and congratulate everyone on making the Jan. deadline. Everyone who visits the board regularly completed their rows before the deadline. I have one lady that can't visit us reg. but I have been in touch with her a couple of times, and she assures me she was on her last block before the weekend began so we can hope her's has been completed as well.

I have Jan's block...it is so beautiful...I'm kind of timid about touching it, its so nice....my head is going in circles i need ideas...her theme is trees and ornaments...her blocks are all applique...any suggestions... :oops: :oops: :-o :-o

Quote Originally Posted by Ruth Camp
    I have Jan's block...it is so beautiful...I'm kind of timid about touching it, its so nice....my head is going in circles i need ideas...her theme is trees and ornaments...her blocks are all applique...any suggestions... :oops: :oops: :-o :-o
    I'm sure you will come up with great Ideas. How about lights, candy canes, bulbs, or gingerbread men. You could make a continuous row or blocks. I think I even found prints that had some of those things. Don't worry, you will do just fine'
    Jan

I went through some of the fabric we moved upstairs and found some nice xmas fabric and I found a kids site of xmas shapes that will make nice applique. whew...thanks panic attack one is over...next month... no2 panic... lol your block and fabric is super jan :D I am cutting the background squares :D

Glad you got everything figured out Ruth, isn't it nice to find fabric you forgot you had? I have a pieced pattern that just happens to look like a Christmas tree when you use the right colors, so if anyone needs a tree pattern I'll dig it up.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 8 9