Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Row by Row Experience >

Row by Row Experience

Row by Row Experience

Old 09-01-2014, 09:14 AM

Hello:
Wondering if in time some QS will find a way to share their row and pattern by mail? Must be folks that cannot travel to different places and QS are not close together.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:18 AM
Power Poster

Here is a site with info about the "Row by Row Experience". This is the 4th year of it, and it's grown every year. This is the first year for it to have gone nationwide.

http://www.rowbyrowexperience.com/
Old 09-01-2014, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt Fan View Post
Hello:
Wondering if in time some QS will find a way to share their row and pattern by mail? Must be folks that cannot travel to different places and QS are not close together.
Hi Quilt Fan,

Because there are prizes involved, the stores cannot mail you the patterns. The first person to go to a participating store with a finished quilt wins 25 fat quarters + another prize if that shop's row is in their quilt. I understand your desire to get the rows. I believe the quilt shops will be offering their rows after the Row by Row Experience ends in October. The purpose of the experience was to encourage travelers to stop at shops and purchase the patterns and/or fabric. This is the heart and soul of it all. They really want people in the stores so they will buy more fabric, thus, helping the quilt stores stay in business. We happened to be traveling and my DH was so sweet to stop at as many shops as we could fit in. As we traveled, I asked the owners how the Row by Row has affected them. The overwhelming response was that their businesses were given a nice boost. I hope the shops you are interested in are willing to sell you the patterns.

I would sincerely hope that you don't feel left out because lots of people cannot participate either. If we didn't travel to my parents' home, they I would not have done the Row by Row. I even wanted to go to more shops to get patterns in New Jersey and Delaware, but it never happened. And, you need to think about whether the rows are appealing to you to make it worth the trip there. Had a realized what some of the rows were before I stopped in some of the shops, I wouldn't have bothered. For example, one shop's row was make of 2 log cabin blocks and 2 shoo-fly blocks. There were a couple others I would have skipped, too.

If you ever get a chance, this was a wonderful experience. You get to meet quilters and make new friends!
Old 09-01-2014, 12:23 PM

Default Row by Row Experience

[QUOTE=Homemother;6869659]Hi Quilt Fan,

Because there are prizes involved, the stores cannot mail you the patterns. The first person to go to a participating store with a finished quilt wins 25 fat quarters + another prize if that shop's row is in their quilt. I understand your desire to get the rows. I believe the quilt shops will be offering their rows after the Row by Row Experience ends in October. The purpose of the experience was to encourage travelers to stop at shops and purchase the patterns and/or fabric. This is the heart and soul of it all. They really want people in the stores so they will buy more fabric, thus, helping the quilt stores stay in business. We happened to be traveling and my DH was so sweet to stop at as many shops as we could fit in. As we traveled, I asked the owners how the Row by Row has affected them. The overwhelming response was that their businesses were given a nice boost.

Homemother:

Your quilt is lovely and has a lot of special touches. Yes, I do understand the need to get customers into the shops, a bit like shop hops. I was just wondering if, in time, they "might" find a way to provide them by mail for those interested. I could not participate right now. Occasionally there will be a pattern published that is row by row. Love of Quilting had a Christmas quilt in 1999 that I made. Row by Row definitely has a different feel.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:08 PM

Default Row by Row Winner

Hi
I live in Northern California, and did the Row by Row quilt for my sister in law in MN who has breast cancer. I got 8 rows from my area, and the 9th my niece picked up for me from the town in MN where my sister in law lives, then I called the store and got their kit mailed to me. I personalized the rows, her house is in one row, her canoe is on the lake, and there are cats on one umbrella, dogs on another because it rains cats and dogs where she lives! I also used some of the Row by Row fabric for borders and backing. It was fun to do!
Attached Thumbnails rowbyrow-quilt.jpg  
Old 09-01-2014, 01:46 PM

It's FABULOUS!!! Your sister is going to love it!!! Such a nice gift.

Originally Posted by meredithj View Post
Hi
I live in Northern California, and did the Row by Row quilt for my sister in law in MN who has breast cancer. I got 8 rows from my area, and the 9th my niece picked up for me from the town in MN where my sister in law lives, then I called the store and got their kit mailed to me. I personalized the rows, her house is in one row, her canoe is on the lake, and there are cats on one umbrella, dogs on another because it rains cats and dogs where she lives! I also used some of the Row by Row fabric for borders and backing. It was fun to do!
Old 09-01-2014, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Homemother View Post
Thanks for your lovely comments! The designer of the fall and autumn blocks included the lettering in their rows. The PA Row By Row was my inception. I needed to balance the quilt with something, so I chose to identify the event on the left side of the quilt. The right side is the shoo-fly block from a shop in Lancaster County, PA. For my letters and numbers, I found a font I liked on the internet, printed them out, cut, glued them down (I was out of fusible), then zigzagged all around them. All those snowflakes are zigzagged, too. This was a super-fun project to make!
Thanks so much for posting back to me. That is one amazing Row by Row quilt and I can only hope that mine comes out somewhat close to it. Enjoy it!!
Old 09-07-2014, 05:27 PM

I traveled to MI from OR and picked up 23 patterns along the way. My SIL picked up a few in OR and WA. We will share what we have..