Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rulers....do I really need all of them? >

Rulers....do I really need all of them?

Rulers....do I really need all of them?

Old 04-30-2012, 02:50 PM

I have gotten by with Omnigrid 6" X 24" and 12.5" square rulers for about 25 years. I've started having trouble reading the numbers when I have them down on the mat, so I recently bought June Tailor's Shape Cutter Plus with the slots and just love it.

I've used the easy angle and companion angle on several quilts. I want to buy a set of Flying Geese rulers next.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:16 PM

I have 3 24" rulers I use all the time, 4, 6, & 8. One of my favorites though is the June Tailor ruler for cutting accurate strips. Since I have started using it, things come out better.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:29 PM
Power Poster

Some of the newer patterns do need a special ruler to make the pattern. That's the whole point right? They get you to fall in love with the quilt and know you will buy the ruler (unless you can find a way around it and make your own) Sometimes that works and sometimes you can save yourself a lot of time and trouble by buying the ruler. The rulers I use most are my 6x24 for cutting across folded fabric, my 15 inch square for squaring my blocks and quilt sandwich, my 3x18 for smaller cuts.
I have several more that I bought for different quilts to save myself time and energy like a 60º triangle, 6 inch square, 5 inch square etc. Lately I have been intrigued by the X block ruler and the new thick rulers for ruler work on my sewing machine. Okay, I see you should not listen to me because obviously I am ruler addicted.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:36 PM

I have a whole slug of rulers & various cutting templates (plastic). I love gadgets & I personally like having a specific ruler for a a specific function. Having said that, they can really get spendy & some that I've bought are still in the package.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:44 PM

No, only if you want them. Some patterns are designed so that you have to buy the specific ruler they are selling. Then you have to decide how much you want to make that pattern. I only used 2 rulers for the longest time a 5" square and a 5"x24" that worked well for years. It's just been the last few years that I've started splurging and buying more when there are sales and coupons and such.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:47 PM

I came across a book I bought several years ago. wOW! What a gem. It is Measure The Possibilities With Omnigrid. Shows dozens of ways to use a few rulers. I am a ruler junkie but now I could kick myself because I had all this info in this book and forgot about it! I see that Amazon has the book available through private sellers. Worth every dollar!
Old 04-30-2012, 05:36 PM

I use my 8x24 the most

Special rulers for special quilts: 12.5x12.5, 9.5x9.5, the tumbling blocks ruler that Marcy baker recommends and the specialty one for the hst from tubes. Those are the most important... oh and the add a quarter ruler that I use like crazy for PP'ing. That was an awesome investment. The other rulers I use very occasionally.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:10 PM

NO BUT THEY MAKE DOING THINGS A LOT EASIER, I love all of my rulers
Old 04-30-2012, 08:22 PM

I only buy rulers that I know I'll use again. Fortunately I have a friend that we can borrow each others. I just looked at new book that had the tumbler pattern and how to cut it with out a special template.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:37 AM

I forgot to mention my June Tailor Shape Cut Plus. If I had to only have two rulers, I would have my 8.5 x 24 and my June Tailor.

Almost all of my rulers are Creative Grid - love them!!