Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which rulers do you  use the most? >

Which rulers do you use the most?

Which rulers do you use the most?

Old 07-23-2011, 06:36 AM

Ok, I know I should know this but, what is a HST??? Also, thank you one and all for all the helpful info on cutting mats and rulers. Great ideas for buying.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by craftymatt2
Ok, I know I should know this but, what is a HST??? Also, thank you one and all for all the helpful info on cutting mats and rulers. Great ideas for buying.
HST = half square triangle
Old 07-23-2011, 06:48 AM

I totally LOVE Creative Grids rulers because they are non-slip. They are the only brand of basic rulers that I buy. My favorites of these rulers are: 6 1/2" x 12 1/2", 6 1/2" x 24 1/2", 8 1/2" x 24 1/2", 2 1/2" square, 3 1/2" square, 4 1/2" square, 6 1/2" square, 9 1/2" square, and 12 1/2" square. I have slowly collected these and my other quilting tools over years from my LQS. So now I have a lot of tools.

I have made a fair amount of Flying Geese and I love the "Flying Geese X 4 No Math Ruler 8 1/4in sq" by Lazy Girl Designs - Joan Hawley. I bought mine at my LQS. But, if you can't find it, here's a website that sells them: http://www.checkerdist.com/products/FGX4. You make 4 flying geese at a time with virtually no waste of fabric. With this one ruler, you can make 12 different sizes of flying geese. Which makes this ruler far superior to the Quilt in a Day flying geese rulers which make2 to 4 different sizes, even though the Lazy Girl is more expensive.

I LOVE the Olfa 24" x 36" dark green self healing cutting mat that I've had for about 18 years now. It still works great. There are some grooves in it, but nothing too bad. I don't cut on the same spots all the time. I rarely use the markings on the mat to measure. Because it's more accurate, I mostly use the markings on my ruler to measure. I have used it a TON! It takes a long time to wear grooves in it at all. So it really is self healing for a long time. I've heard, possibly on this blog, that when the mat gets too grooved to use, it can be soaked in warmish/hottish water in the bath tub for a few hours. Mine hasn't got to the point where I have tried this. Also, when it's too worn on one side, you can turn it over and use the back side. Again, mine hasn't been bad enough to try this either.

Hope this helps!

Becky D.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:49 AM

Nothing, not even the stars in the heavens, will last for ever but my olfa mats have lasted a long time. True the most used lines are fainter and a little gutted but it doesn't seem to matter. I do use a mat smoother now and then to clean it as bits of batting fluff can get trapped. I do rotate the mat so all sides get the same wear. I have a rotating mat with a 12x12 grid that I use all the time for trimming blocks. If my Olfa ever gets too used on one side I plan to turn it over and use the other. So far I have had the matt I have now for about 15years and expect to get at least another 15 out of it. I don't know if the blue ones are as good as I have only had to replace a mat once because it got warped by sitting under a window on a hot summer day.
As for rulers mostly I use the one, three, and six by twentyfour inch rulers the most for cutting strips but also use the quilt in a day square up rulers six and twelve as for the rest I have a collection of three inch, four, five and six inch squares that are most useful.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:50 AM

I use a 6 1/2 square and a 6 X 12 a lot Have safe trip
Old 07-23-2011, 06:50 AM

I use a 6 1/2 square and a 6 X 12 a lot Have safe trip
Old 07-23-2011, 06:59 AM
Banned

My experience is that June Tailor mats are not good.
I've been using my huge Olfa for more than 15 years.
I have their mats in various sizes; they hold up well

As to rulers - I have many; the ones I seem to use the most these days are a 2 1/2" square, a 2 1/2" X 6 1/2" ruler and a June Tailor slotted cutting mat that cuts at 1/2" intervals. I just bought her 1/4" inverval mat but haven't needed to use yet.

Have a wonderful trip.
You probably already know this: you can Google for locations of quilt shops in the areas you'll be.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:04 AM

Have fun on your visit. I am a first generation Pole. My Dad was born in Warsaw.

I use my 6 1/2 square and 8 1/2 squares the most.
As far as the long cutting rulers, 6 1/2 x 24 1/2 or the 6 1/2 by 12 1/2 are my favorites.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:33 AM

I love my Olfa mat, and it is....indeed........a self healing mat. If you don't use the lines (use your rulers instead) for measuring and cutting, the Olfa will last forever. I'm going on nearly 25 years with the same mat. Since I'm known as the "notions Queen" in my group, I can't recommend any particular thing to have..........(I like to think that I have them all. hahah)
Old 07-23-2011, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie
For squaring up HST the best ruler yet is the Quilt In A Day triangle square up ruler. You only make one cut. It is amazing. You place the line for the size you need on the stitching line of the triangle before you open it. One cut and you have a perfect squared up HST.
If you have a coupon at Joanns you can get it for around 9 dollars. Joanns marks up the price to 15 dollars but it is 11 at my local quilt shop. Who do they think they are fooling?
Like every one says the 6x12 or 6x24 is the most used
I have a June Taylor shape cut but have not used it. You need to fold the fabric to fit the ruler first so just havnt done it yet.
A 6 1/2 and a 12 1/2 in square up ruler is nice to have.
I love the turn table also.
Good idea about getting Joann coupons.
I, too, love all of Eleanor Burn's "quilt in a day' rulers and also Kaye Wood's starmakers.
My Olfa mat has been used constantly for 10 years and is still just this side of perfect!
Have a wonderful trip and I hope that it cools down a bit by the time you get here :-D :-D