Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rummage Sale find! >

Rummage Sale find!

Rummage Sale find!

Old 06-22-2019, 11:55 AM
Power Poster

I don't go to any sales or auctions. I really don't need or want anything. Knowing me I would come home with a truckload.
Old 06-23-2019, 05:38 AM

The senior center in the big town 15 miles from me had a craft room that was going to be repurposed to offices. So they were selling Tons of fabrics, yarn and books at cheap prices. I went back 4 or 5 times, kept getting more. Books were 25 cents each!! I held off from buying yarn but did get a ton of fabric, really nice quilt fabric.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-23-2019 at 06:19 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 06-23-2019, 05:43 PM

My husband strangely stopped at an estate sale on his lunch hour. He Never does anything like that. He called me at work and asked me if I wanted a Bernina. Well, of course I did. I snuck out of work to meet him. It was a model 1120 from the 1980's. I sat at it and ran a scrap of fabric through. Worked fine! It came in a fine console oak cabinet fitted to the machine. It has the mechanized platform to move the machine out of sight. The cabinet had multiple drawers filled with over 20 sewing feet. Dozens of needle packs, scissors, walking foot, an extra foot pedal. Also included in the deal was a library of Bernina books and newsletters regarding that model, plus a carrying case. Price...$250.00 complete!! We still don't know what possessed him to stop at that sale. Several weeks later, we found out that the machine belonged to our dry-cleaner's mom. He is the sweetest man and said that it made him happy to know who got his mother's machine!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-24-2019 at 02:28 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 06-23-2019, 06:06 PM

Me too, Jingle!
Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I don't go to any sales or auctions. I really don't need or want anything. Knowing me I would come home with a truckload.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:17 PM

my sister went to a thrift store and bought a huge bundle of fabric for $25. It contained approx 40 yds. She asked me to go back the next day and buy the other bundle. I was there when the store opened and got that bundle and while I was looking in the linens section I found 2 more bundles which I akso bought. About 90
Old 06-24-2019, 04:20 AM

I found a hand quilted quilt from the 1930’s or 40’s at a garage sale for $10. I’m sure it was stored away because it looks brand new. I had one at home from the same designer who published his patterns in the newspapers back then.
Thrift store had many duvet covers donated to them. White on white design so I bought a king size for $2 & made a 5 foot tee pee for a child. All I needed to buy was white Pom Pom trim and white PVC plastic pipe for it. The mother said similar item was $250 on Etsy.
i didn’t need thread but I couldn’t pass up a box of thread at a garage sale last week. 210 spools for $5.00. Mostly beige & brown. I can share with friends.
I found 3 yards of burgundy blender in a basket on the floor at a church sale. It was a color I needed & paid $1.00.
i contacted the auctioneer before an estate sale because I knew there was a white featherweight there. He hadn’t advertised it yet so he sold it to me. Hardly used so not a mark on it or the case. $200.
Sometimes it helps to be bold.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:24 AM

Haven't taken a picture yet but just got back from my round of errands and thrift stores.

Today's find is a well pieced small queen sized Baby's Block quilt top in early 80s maroon & pink solids. It was well made and cotton, but they apparently ran out of fabric and a close but not quite maroon poly blend was used on the outer borders. I'll have to take that off but that will be a good handwork project for me to bring to quilt group. Fortunately for me on Sunday got a bag of fabric this weekend that has a piece I was thinking will be hard to use -- but it will work nicely as a border for this! Price for the top was $4.99. The bag with the border piece in it was $3.99 and about 10 yards of fabric. I know I have some stash fabrics that would work for a back, not bad for donation quilt.

The way the person assembled it, I think they lost out on the best part of the 3-D effect, their dark fabric is what is more on top, the lightest piece is more on the side. I'm not my best at choosing quilting designs but I think I can enhance this top.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:22 AM

I am so envious, I used to go to estate sales and picked up great bargains but don't do it anymore due to injuries.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:30 AM

Haven't been to yard or estate sales in years. Found myself buying things I really didn't need or use for my home decor and now need to purge. I did get a call yesterday from a dear friend whose MIL had passed. She's bringing me all her fabrics, threads, etc. What I can't use, I'll pass on to our quilt group at church who makes quilts to send overseas.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:43 AM

I got my Featherweight at a yard sale for $15.00. It was just sitting in a case next to a chair she was selling---I sat down for a few minutes as my allergies were going crazy and I felt dizzy. Noticed it, asked her how much, she said how about $15.00 and I said yes. I was so happy and cried all the way home. Hubby cleaned, oiled and greased her, put on a new cord and she is still going strong. She is from 1946 and is named Anna after my Granny who taught me the love of sewing and quilting.