Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rummage Sale find! >

Rummage Sale find!

Rummage Sale find!

Old 06-26-2019, 06:20 AM

I just found this top on Monday, got it for $4.99 and it wasn't even on special.

The top is well made and cotton, except for a bad poly border of a close but not quite right maroon. I'll be taking that off and replacing it with a print, I have lots of these 80s maroon and pink pieces, and it will be a good hand project for me to do at group. I should have something good for a back too. As you can see laid out, it's a small queen size.

I think the quilter made a mistake in putting the dark color at the top of the blocks and that it loses a lot of the 3D effect of baby blocks, but my Tuesday group ladies said I was being a bit harsh. But personally I think that is why the top never got finished. I'm not very clever in my quilting design choices but I think I have the skills to enhance this top which will then be for donation.
Attached Thumbnails baby-blocks.jpg  
Old 06-26-2019, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
I just found this top on Monday, got it for $4.99 and it wasn't even on special.

The top is well made and cotton, except for a bad poly border of a close but not quite right maroon. I'll be taking that off and replacing it with a print, I have lots of these 80s maroon and pink pieces, and it will be a good hand project for me to do at group. I should have something good for a back too. As you can see laid out, it's a small queen size.

I think the quilter made a mistake in putting the dark color at the top of the blocks and that it loses a lot of the 3D effect of baby blocks, but my Tuesday group ladies said I was being a bit harsh. But personally I think that is why the top never got finished. I'm not very clever in my quilting design choices but I think I have the skills to enhance this top which will then be for donation.
great find! please show us the finish when done
Old 06-26-2019, 08:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mindless View Post
I stumbled across a CL ad for a 'little portable sewing machine' about 5 years ago. The address was about 1 1/2 hours away from me, but I answered the ad anyway, in spite of CL's reputation.

A male voice said that his mother had just passed, and he wanted it to go to a good home. I am just dumb enough to go and check it out...alone. I was using my phone GPS, and was fairly close when my battery died. I debated about just going home, but I couldn't resist "little portable sewing machine".

I drove around quite a bit before finding the address.

When I (finally) got there, I found the cutest little black singer ever. (I didn't really know anything about featherweights yet). He was asking $184.00 for it. I asked him if it worked, and he plugged it in for me. Do sewing machines purr? Yes. This one did.
I had to take it home with me.

When I got it home and inspected it, I realized that I was looking at a beautifully cared for 222k. I did call him back & tell him it was worth more, but he didn't care. He just wanted a good home for it.

Happy dance!
I have had good transactions using Craigslist.

In face, I have acquired several sewing machines through that site.