Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Sad but true

Pam
    I am making a sampler quilt with a black background for the main fabric. I allowed myself for purchase enough of 3 different blacks for the background, borders, ect Then I went to my stash and pulled 75 batiks to use for the colors!

I am trying to use some of this up. I almost feel sorry for the fabrics that keep getting passed over, they want to shine, too.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think that's a very wise idea. If you feel any part of your life is out of control, getting a buddy to help you out is a good plan.

I need a buddy to guard my refridgerator and slap me every time I get near it.

Quote Originally Posted by JanieW
    chris_quilts,

I understand and I say good for you to recognize you needed to reign it in.

I bet once you get into using your stash, it will get easier. I love to shop my stash, it is almost as good as hitting the fabric stores.

Good luck. You can do it.
    I like this idea....."shopping in your stash"....I'd get my shopping fix and it doesn't cost anything. Heck, I can even "shop" in my jammies!

:lol:

I really give you a lot of credit for recognizing that things were getting out of hand. Shopping of any kind can quickly become a panicea for all of our troubles. I know it is for me, so I try to be very carefull. For me it is very hard to go into my lqs and buy only what I need so I am focusing on not going until I absolutly HAVE to have something. Also, I don't even look at online stores rite now. Sometimes it feels like the minute I walk in the door of my lqs, good sense and my better judgement fly out my ear. After watching Hoarders, it really made me stop and think about how that could happen. I'm with you, time to trim down the old stash a bit.

We are all in the same boat. I swore I'd make into quilts, the quilt tops I have done already. Then I came upon some really nice quilt blocks, done a couple of years ago for a class, and just couldn't see making them up with "just anything from my stash". So off to the quilt shop. $165 later I have the finishing touches for them. Oh, I need a sponsor!!!!!!!

I really, really wish my mother would come to her senses like you and get a "friend" to help control her shopping. Not only is she a shopping addict, she's a gambler:< I spend a lot of time worrying about her future.

For me, I don't have a huge stash. I've got a 6 drawer dresser and a wall of fat quarters. That's a lot for some people and not so much for others:> I am also in the mode of finishing up UFO's etc. before I allow myself to buy more. Although I've not put a restriction on thread. You can never have enough thread;>

For all quilters struggling with buying more fabric when the closet and shelves are full, you do have lots of company. Stashbusters devotes itself to this topic and encourages and supports members to use up what they have. There are over 5000 members so you are not alone with your fabric difficulties. Quilters naturally love fabric, colour and texture, so it is easy to understand our addiction. Check out this website for others struggling not to buy more. They also share great quilting tips, patterns and anything else quilt related.

http://www.stashbuster.com/

I, too, have had to STOP! I keep acquiring and not using it - even tho I've got great intentions. After watching an episode of Horders, I decided I didn't want to be like them, but I've got a good start on it. So I refuse to even go near a fabric store of any kind -- no will power.

However, when someone mentioned the Alden, KS shop it did cause me a moments pause. I'll be a reunions at Chase and Raymond, KS over Memorial weekend, and that's a wonderful place to stop! But since by DH will be with me, I'll probably resist.

I've also been clearing my mother's house, and it could be considered a fabric store, so it's hard, hard, hard to keep resisting.

Blog Entries
    I did have one lady who inherited her mother's stash come to me and want me to weave up some rugs out of the stash. I convinced her to put some of the larger, lovely pieces, in a sale and sell them to other quilters.

I wove and wove. We did a 9 x 12 and two 8 x 10's and a bunch of little ones. Finally all 5 tubs were empty.

My friend and I usually shop together. When we are trying not to buy something we remind each other to keep our hands in our pockets! Somehow, if you touch it, it always comes home with you!=)

Congrats! Some times accountability is the answer. My BFF and I are holding each other accountable for finishing projects. When we sew together we get things done and in between we check on each other so we dont just slack off.

I look at those tubs and tubs of fabric in the pictures and think...look at all that money wasted they are never going to finish all of that.

When I go shopping, I go with a list and CASH. Lock your purse in the trunk of the car. Then if you really really really want it, you have to walk out to the car, dig out your purse, get the cash and come back in.

If these are your true feelings, then I say Congratulations to You! I myself have a large stash and it hit me recently that if I kept purchasing just because, I may never use this stash. I'm talking patterns & fabric, but mostly fabric. So this year I put myself on a strict purchasing diet. And you know? It has not been bad at all. I have gone online & filled carts but when it came time to make that final purchase & push that final button, I had to ask myself, "Where are you going to put this?" That alone kept me from going another step further. My shelves are literally crammed full in my sewing/quilting room! There is not room for 1 more yard. So until I get some of it used.. it is NO BUYING FOR ME! And I am fine with that. For now. I must use up a lot by the time for the Houston Show this Fall though. LOL I Shop & Shop there every year. LOL So good luck and stay disciplined.

Thanks for the site! I just signed up!

Quote Originally Posted by Shelbie
    For all quilters struggling with buying more fabric when the closet and shelves are full, you do have lots of company. Stashbusters devotes itself to this topic and encourages and supports members to use up what they have. There are over 5000 members so you are not alone with your fabric difficulties. Quilters naturally love fabric, colour and texture, so it is easy to understand our addiction. Check out this website for others struggling not to buy more. They also share great quilting tips, patterns and anything else quilt related.

http://www.stashbuster.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mimee4
    We are all in the same boat. I swore I'd make into quilts, the quilt tops I have done already. Then I came upon some really nice quilt blocks, done a couple of years ago for a class, and just couldn't see making them up with "just anything from my stash". So off to the quilt shop. $165 later I have the finishing touches for them. Oh, I need a sponsor!!!!!!!
    It helps that my sponsor doesn't quilt nor does she want to learn. She also doesn't understand my obsession with fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    I joined a stash busters club to try and whittle down my stash. We agreed that since we were "Busting" we wouldn't buy anything unless it started with a B---such as Batting, Backing and Binding. But then there are other things that start with Bs also. If fabric is on sale that makes it a Bargain. There's also Books, Blues, Browns, Beiges, Burgundys, Blenders, Batiks. . . . . . . and so goes my addiction.
    If the shoe fits . . . . lol

I have tried to stop buying fabric and start finishing those UFOs in my room. I still buy on occasion but I'm doing better.

My buying is pretty much done for awhile as well. Most everything I have was bought at bargain prices rather than full price. Each time a store was closing, I would buy up a bunch. Now that I'm on disability retirement, I won't be buying alot. I've been in a position before where I could not afford fabric. Now I have enough to keep me busy for quite a while. I'll be making hubby new denim shirts before long. Also, some of my fabric I bought to make him a Santa suit for this next Christmas. So, lots of projects to be done.

I was almost feeling guilty for a while there, (but then my sanity returned) lol...

Quote Originally Posted by littlehud
    I have tried to stop buying fabric and start finishing those UFOs in my room. I still buy on occasion but I'm doing better.
    I am doing the same, I also wrote notes to myself and put them around, "If you feel the need to buy more fabric, first, look around this room, then go into the next room, then the downstairs, and finally in the basement." When I look at catalogs, I earmark the pages of stuff I think I want, then put the catalog away. I say outloud, "I have enough, and I want to be a good steward of what I buy from now on and I want to use what I already have." At one time in my life, I know I was buying to fill a void, now I ask myself what's going on in my world. I do have some oc/d tendencies, so when I find a project, like the bow tucks tote bag, I want to make it in every color. I'm really trying to use my stash. It's amazing to look in a bin and find new treasures that have been tucked away for awhile.

Chris good for you! I applaude your decision.

I did something fairly similar in November last year. A friend of mine mentioned that she made a commitment with another friend that they would not buy any new fabric for 1 year. They would allow themselves to only buy batting and thread. When she told me I thought "are you completely insane!!!!". However, after thinking about it for 6 weeks I thought - you know - it's really not such a bad idea.

So I made my own commitment, and shared it with my craft groups (they hold me accountable). No new purchases EXCEPT, for thread, batting, and fabric to FINISH tops.

I think I've done very well. I gave myself a day off, giving myself permission to purchase when a local quilt show was in town (we have only 1 big show a year - where "outside" vendors can sell their fabrics, etc). Even then - I only bought 1 fat quarter, and 1 jelly roll. Quite restrained (well I thought so).

Other than that I've been "good" for 5 months now.

I'm trying to focus on those WIPs. No real reason to buy new fabric when there are so many projects on the go. The only exclusion I've had was/is for my mothers quilt (which I'll write about soon).

Anyway, I wish you well - I know you can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishNY
    I'm thinking that I would lose a good friend if I tried this. The first time she tried to tell me that I shouldn't shop, I would say something like "who the hell are you to tell me...". I hate when other people try to tell me what to do, even if I know it's in my best interest. Better I just continue to shop. :D
    AMEN SISTAH!!!!! LOLOL

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by danmar
    I love to buy fabrics too. When I see something that is just 'really pretty', or if it's purple or yellow (which are really hard colors to find around here), I like to buy! I really don't need any more material right now, except for backing fabrics when I get a quilt made that needs one. I try to just avoid going to the fabric store. I know that if I do, I'm going to buy something. I wish you alot of luck with your plan. I really hope that it works for you.
    Marilyn
    Ditto..i also try to stay away from the shops..i have missed a few "field trips" with my quilty friends..because i did not need anymore fabric.

In my quilting group I was known as the quilt kit queen. I was always buying kits. In December 2008 I made the announcement that I was not buying a kit for the entire next year, 2009. Guess what, here it is April 2010 and I still have not purchased a kit not even fabric to make my own kit. Also I have purchased very little fabric over the last 16 months.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna Hall
    In my quilting group I was known as the quilt kit queen. I was always buying kits. In December 2008 I made the announcement that I was not buying a kit for the entire next year, 2009. Guess what, here it is April 2010 and I still have not purchased a kit not even fabric to make my own kit. Also I have purchased very little fabric over the last 16 months.
    Applause!

:thumbup:

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I,too, like stashing. ALmost a hoarder. I am one of those with three walls in my sewing room full of shelving and fabric. I have decided not to buy any fabric for at least 6 months to start. And I have some guild friends and we are going to share. So..I also let ladies who quilt for chrities come over and pick out fabric to donate to them. Later them "Pass it forward" when they come across a good sale and share. I have a Will for my craft room. My hubby will call Project Linus and let them come and take it all. Wish he would learn to quilt. He'd rather be outside piddling. I also make up fat qtrs, etc and use for door prizes. The guild loves it. Glad I share this habit with more ladies.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I am one that when I visit a quilt shop, I feel the need to contribute to their store. SO many smaller ones are closing and I don't like that idea. I live int he ocuntry and appreciate the stores around here. So, new idea, I am making quilt kits for myself...now they are UFO;s.lol

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast