Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • A sad day >
  • A sad day

• A sad day

Old 10-10-2010, 01:41 PM

Here's my short version...Son moved out for college. His room became a guest room and we converted one bay of the garge into a sewing room for me. (We live in NM so winter below freezing temps is usually not an issue.) I was sewing in a corner of the dining room...the only place we have meals.

Son quit school...lost the guest room.

Mom moved in w/us lost my sewing room. Now sewing back in the dining room.

Son still here.

Mom diag w/Alz. We moved her to a facility for ALZ. Sewing room back for me.

Mom was neglected at facicity so back with us but now in son's room and son in sewing room. I'm in the dining room. (I get tired just reading this saga.)

Follow me?

I'm still in the dinging room with fab now stored in 16 66 gal plastic contanrs in our bedroom. Books in several places notions in roller thingee next to the sewing table.

How do I cope? My family understands that I HAVE to sew. Sewing/quilting is what helps me cope with Mom's Alz. Don't look under the beds! Quilts there that I should find new homes for and I will eventually. UFO stored in Mom's bedroom. She an invalid now so doesn't need closet place for clothes.

Suggestion...make sure you have help from your family. Don't give up your passion. If they can't contribute finacially, they can work around the house...clean, cook. laundry.

As you can see from prev posts, you are not alone with this. Maybe we need to have IM (Instant Messaging) time so we can all vent. I did this with a friend but cancer took her last month. Good luck!
    Old 10-10-2010, 02:28 PM

I gave up my sewing space which I had waited 25 years for, to my son and his wife who were in transition for school. After a year they moved out. Other than hand sewing, I didn't sew for a year. Another son got married shortly after and because of transition time wanted to move in with his wife. This time to make that transition time shorter, I let them have the smaller room (exercise room) and didn't give up my space (much larger!) If mama isn't happy, nobody is happy!!! Sounds mean but they could sponge forever given the opportunity! I'm so grateful to have my space the way that I want to have it and everyone is happy! Don't feel guilty, everyone has to do what works best for them. This is what worked for me!
    Old 10-10-2010, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by IrishNY
    Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Hope it works out okay.

((hugs))

It can be stressful - and if you had been waiting a long time to have your OWN space - I think it's okay to feel a bit sad/resentful/angry for a while about having to give it up.
    I agree. Just because you are doing the right thing for family doesn't mean you you shouldn't be a little upset that it means giving something important to you up for a while. You're a good person but not a saint. ;-)
    I agree too. You are doing the right thing for your family, but you know it will be hard sometimes, and your quilting therapy will not be as accessible for you. You will make the best of it and your family will be greatful and you will be glad you helped out when they needed you. (I like the camper idea if that's an option.) Take care and remember, all there is is love. Pass it around. Dani
    Old 10-10-2010, 03:41 PM

There will be many ups and downs with this arrangement I'm sure. Blessings to you and your family no matter where this path leads you all. As for the sewing area I at one point just bought an inexpensive screen for one corner of the bedroom so I could have my sewing area - basically a desk and the sewing machine and some tubs with fabric in them. Under the bed and part of a closet also held some more items. What I learned from doing that was that I really like to be in the heart of the home with whatever is going on and most times wanted to be near the family and not in the bedroom by myself. Now that everyone has grown up and moved out, I have the house basically to myself and the dog. With extra empty bedrooms I still sew in the dining room and lug whatever the project of choice is from upstairs to that dining area. One bedroom however does house all of the quilting supplies...neatness doesn't count here. :oops:
    Old 10-15-2010, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Find a small camper for sale and use that as your sewing place. It's worth it and when things are back to normal, you have instant hotel room when needed.
    BellaBoo....I was just going to suggest that.
    think she'll do it....?

lol
    Old 10-15-2010, 03:41 PM

I just cleaned out my room for my youngest daughter and her hubby and the girls will be sleeping in the other room with my oldest daughter it will be tight around here and i had to put my sewing/cutting table under my bed and my yarn sewing stuff where ever i could find a place but , i know they are safe here with us and not on the streets, all the crafting i need to do for christmas will be done in my room on my bed, other things will just have to wait
    HUGS Dora
    Old 10-15-2010, 04:20 PM

Sure glad DH told our kids when they moved out. Be sure this is what you want because we don't have a swinging door.He watched his sister's kids move in and out and said he was not doing that. He said I gave them all a college education and they should be able to make it on their own. Lucky they have never asked to come back home. I would pay their rent or house payment first. The DGK's all live in our town so we see them often enough. All of us are different.
    Old 10-15-2010, 04:27 PM

I had to pack up my sewing room so my FIL could come stay with us for awhile. It was temporary but everything had to be stored. I pretty much had no where to sew so I didnt. I have my room back now so I have started sewing again.. We all sacrifice at times for our family. God bless you for making room. HUgs
    Old 10-15-2010, 04:30 PM

You do what you gotta do. Tomorrow is a brand new day. You do need a retreat space. Especially with new activities in the house. Raising a family is stressful, doing it in someone else's space makes it even more stressful. I vote the camper would be your sewing room and 'retreat'.
    People are more important to me than fabric. Family, friends and loved ones take priority over my hobbies.
    The best for you and your family.
    Old 10-15-2010, 04:52 PM

yea have been there. daughters in and out (2 of them) lots of adjustments. fabric returned to totes in basement, and tended to forget what I had so stash got bigger as easier to buy than dig thru them. ended up sewing at dining room table and stuffing projects in small totes under bed until could get out again. biggest problem was the quiet and uninterrupted time I needed to work on them. found i made more mistakes - more seam ripping - as someone was always around. just hang in there -