Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Safe house >

Safe house

Safe house

Old 09-12-2015, 06:03 AM
Power Poster

It is so rewarding to make quilts for others who need them. So many charities are always looking for donated quilts.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:07 AM
Power Poster

Talked to a friend who works/volunteers at local women's shelter. She took shelter once and has since given back. The shelter has no sewing machines and once in a while some one will say If I just had my machine. So will be looking at some heavy duty machines that can handle jean repair just in case. My 401 does it but I'm not giving it up. My friend is going to measure a couple spaces so they can decide what type of storage space small sewing corner that might be available. I tell them they don't need a whole lot. Maybe space enough for a card table to fit (size wise). Couple storage drawer on wheels to fit under a table for small repair stash and notions.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:20 AM

Bless you for making quilts for boys; too often we overlook them. Our local senior group gave suitcases to youth in foster homes so that the kids would have something to store their stuff in. Most had only a grocery bag to carry from one foster home to another.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:24 AM

I do that frequently and it sure feels good when the folks who are in charge are so grateful and happy to get the donations.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:44 AM

Congratulations on winning the FQ's. What a nice thing to do with them. Paying it forward is something that I love. Very gratifying.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:58 AM

What a wonderful thing for you to do. They will be well received
Old 09-12-2015, 10:42 AM

How sweet of you! I'm sure they were greatly appreciated. Often DV survivors have to sneak out of their homes & get to bring little to nothing with them, so anything at all is appreciated but a beautiful, warm baby quilt that will last for years would definitely be a special treat!
And I echo what Tessagin wrote about the women there also loving to learn a skill in sewing and/or quilting. It can be both practical & therapeutic. I hope within the next year to start working with women & children at my local Rape Crisis Center. One of my favorite artists is a painter named Claudia Bernardi; she has worked with war survivors throughout Latin America to paint murals of remembrance & murals of hope. How beautiful it would be to translate that into fabrics -- giving people a voice and the opportunity to learn a practical skill at the same time.

Sharing our craft in any form is a wonderful thing to do.
Old 09-12-2015, 02:46 PM

Congratulations for being lucky and most of all for being such a generous person.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:25 PM

I make charity for a local Children's Cancer hospital and the child gets to pick out which quilt they want for themselves. I make my quilts with flannel as the backing so that it is cuddly for them. I know that when I had polio as a child a quilt would have been so nice, we were quarantined and nothing could be brought into us as patients. I make girly girl quilts and boyish boy quilts and I try to put the back of a design that goes with the front like sports backing to a sports front. It is very rewarding to know that some child will have something to cuddle when getting chemo or the treatment required for their case.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:05 AM

We recently had one of those "teaching moments" with the 15 yr granddaughter about how you can't go wrong doing nice things for people when you expect nothing in return. It really hit home with her and I hope she remembers just how good it feels. So I know exactly how you feel and hope that good feeling is transferred to the end recipient of your quilts.