Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Safe house >

Safe house

Safe house

Old 09-11-2015, 12:51 PM

Default Safe house

Recently I attended the local quilt show, and for a $2 admission I received a little numbered ticket. While browsing the quilts they called my number, and I was the excited recipient of a gorgeous bundle of fat quarters - hydrangeas. They all were from a "set", but only one fat quarter of each design. What to do with it? It sat on my sewing table for several weeks, and I decided finally to make baby quilts. I was able to make two baby quilts, and still have 6 fat quarters left over for something else. Since I don't know anyone who needs a baby quilt at this time, I donated them to the local safe house for abused women. Wow, they were so excited! They will give them to women who need them to care for their babies.

Now I am looking at my stash, and thinking I may be able to make another two or three of them. What a joy it is to give something that is desperately needed, and yet receives no publicity!
Old 09-11-2015, 01:04 PM

Wonderful idea. And congrats on winning the FQs.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Matty View Post
Recently I attended the local quilt show, and for a $2 admission I received a little numbered ticket. While browsing the quilts they called my number, and I was the excited recipient of a gorgeous bundle of fat quarters - hydrangeas. They all were from a "set", but only one fat quarter of each design. What to do with it? It sat on my sewing table for several weeks, and I decided finally to make baby quilts. I was able to make two baby quilts, and still have 6 fat quarters left over for something else. Since I don't know anyone who needs a baby quilt at this time, I donated them to the local safe house for abused women. Wow, they were so excited! They will give them to women who need them to care for their babies.

Now I am looking at my stash, and thinking I may be able to make another two or three of them. What a joy it is to give something that is desperately needed, and yet receives no publicity!
Oh my yes, congrats on your win ... and I know what you mean about the joy you get from giving. I make quilts for AZBlankets4Kids, I never see who gets them, I don't have the need to know, but I know they bring joy -- the woman who picks up our quilts once a month tells us so.
Old 09-12-2015, 03:02 AM

I agree....it is good when the one hand does not know what the other hand is giving! <3
Old 09-12-2015, 03:36 AM
Power Poster

Nice win and a lovely thing to do.
Old 09-12-2015, 03:56 AM

I have only been quilting for about a year and all my quilts have been for charity ... my way of meeting my need to be creative and then giving back to those in need. Great feeling! I have started a bargello to keep and currently working on a baby quilt for the daughter of a very close friend. Congrats on your win.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:03 AM

What a good thing you did. My local group donates to a women's shelter. So gratifying for us and so much needed by them.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:15 AM

I do that with some of the patterns that I want to try but don't have a specific recipient for . I also take my extra blocks and make either baby quilts or doll quilts to donate to the local Salvation Army. They give away the dolls that are like American Girl dolls and each doll comes with 2 outfits and a quilt. My sister is on the board at a pregnancy center and they get my baby quilts.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:31 AM

Sometimes I am just staggered by the need for comfort out there. I donate charity quilts here in VA and can see from the postings that this is goes on all over the country--and outside the US also. Bless all of you who make donations.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:57 AM
Power Poster

My sew group makes all sizes of quilts to give to foster kids. Especially the older boys. Most of these kids receive nothing to call their own from the foster parents.