Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Safe house

Blog Entries

Safe house

Recently I attended the local quilt show, and for a $2 admission I received a little numbered ticket. While browsing the quilts they called my number, and I was the excited recipient of a gorgeous bundle of fat quarters - hydrangeas. They all were from a "set", but only one fat quarter of each design. What to do with it? It sat on my sewing table for several weeks, and I decided finally to make baby quilts. I was able to make two baby quilts, and still have 6 fat quarters left over for something else. Since I don't know anyone who needs a baby quilt at this time, I donated them to the local safe house for abused women. Wow, they were so excited! They will give them to women who need them to care for their babies.

Now I am looking at my stash, and thinking I may be able to make another two or three of them. What a joy it is to give something that is desperately needed, and yet receives no publicity!

Wonderful idea. And congrats on winning the FQs.

Quote Originally Posted by Matty View Post
    Recently I attended the local quilt show, and for a $2 admission I received a little numbered ticket. While browsing the quilts they called my number, and I was the excited recipient of a gorgeous bundle of fat quarters - hydrangeas. They all were from a "set", but only one fat quarter of each design. What to do with it? It sat on my sewing table for several weeks, and I decided finally to make baby quilts. I was able to make two baby quilts, and still have 6 fat quarters left over for something else. Since I don't know anyone who needs a baby quilt at this time, I donated them to the local safe house for abused women. Wow, they were so excited! They will give them to women who need them to care for their babies.

Now I am looking at my stash, and thinking I may be able to make another two or three of them. What a joy it is to give something that is desperately needed, and yet receives no publicity!
    Oh my yes, congrats on your win ... and I know what you mean about the joy you get from giving. I make quilts for AZBlankets4Kids, I never see who gets them, I don't have the need to know, but I know they bring joy -- the woman who picks up our quilts once a month tells us so.
    When life gives you scraps, make a colorful happy quilt.

I agree....it is good when the one hand does not know what the other hand is giving!

Nice win and a lovely thing to do.

I have only been quilting for about a year and all my quilts have been for charity ... my way of meeting my need to be creative and then giving back to those in need. Great feeling! I have started a bargello to keep and currently working on a baby quilt for the daughter of a very close friend. Congrats on your win.

Blog Entries
    What a good thing you did. My local group donates to a women's shelter. So gratifying for us and so much needed by them.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Blog Entries
    I do that with some of the patterns that I want to try but don't have a specific recipient for . I also take my extra blocks and make either baby quilts or doll quilts to donate to the local Salvation Army. They give away the dolls that are like American Girl dolls and each doll comes with 2 outfits and a quilt. My sister is on the board at a pregnancy center and they get my baby quilts.

Sometimes I am just staggered by the need for comfort out there. I donate charity quilts here in VA and can see from the postings that this is goes on all over the country--and outside the US also. Bless all of you who make donations.

My sew group makes all sizes of quilts to give to foster kids. Especially the older boys. Most of these kids receive nothing to call their own from the foster parents.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

It is so rewarding to make quilts for others who need them. So many charities are always looking for donated quilts.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Talked to a friend who works/volunteers at local women's shelter. She took shelter once and has since given back. The shelter has no sewing machines and once in a while some one will say If I just had my machine. So will be looking at some heavy duty machines that can handle jean repair just in case. My 401 does it but I'm not giving it up. My friend is going to measure a couple spaces so they can decide what type of storage space small sewing corner that might be available. I tell them they don't need a whole lot. Maybe space enough for a card table to fit (size wise). Couple storage drawer on wheels to fit under a table for small repair stash and notions.

Bless you for making quilts for boys; too often we overlook them. Our local senior group gave suitcases to youth in foster homes so that the kids would have something to store their stuff in. Most had only a grocery bag to carry from one foster home to another.

I do that frequently and it sure feels good when the folks who are in charge are so grateful and happy to get the donations.

Congratulations on winning the FQ's. What a nice thing to do with them. Paying it forward is something that I love. Very gratifying.

What a wonderful thing for you to do. They will be well received

How sweet of you! I'm sure they were greatly appreciated. Often DV survivors have to sneak out of their homes & get to bring little to nothing with them, so anything at all is appreciated but a beautiful, warm baby quilt that will last for years would definitely be a special treat!
    And I echo what Tessagin wrote about the women there also loving to learn a skill in sewing and/or quilting. It can be both practical & therapeutic. I hope within the next year to start working with women & children at my local Rape Crisis Center. One of my favorite artists is a painter named Claudia Bernardi; she has worked with war survivors throughout Latin America to paint murals of remembrance & murals of hope. How beautiful it would be to translate that into fabrics -- giving people a voice and the opportunity to learn a practical skill at the same time.

Sharing our craft in any form is a wonderful thing to do.

Congratulations for being lucky and most of all for being such a generous person.

I make charity for a local Children's Cancer hospital and the child gets to pick out which quilt they want for themselves. I make my quilts with flannel as the backing so that it is cuddly for them. I know that when I had polio as a child a quilt would have been so nice, we were quarantined and nothing could be brought into us as patients. I make girly girl quilts and boyish boy quilts and I try to put the back of a design that goes with the front like sports backing to a sports front. It is very rewarding to know that some child will have something to cuddle when getting chemo or the treatment required for their case.

We recently had one of those "teaching moments" with the 15 yr granddaughter about how you can't go wrong doing nice things for people when you expect nothing in return. It really hit home with her and I hope she remembers just how good it feels. So I know exactly how you feel and hope that good feeling is transferred to the end recipient of your quilts.

Power Poster
    Great idea...Thanks...