Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 45 of 45

Thread: sandwich Help Please

  1. #26
    Senior Member Chris Kieffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Go watch Sharon Schamber's basting videos. Just search youtube for her name and it'll come right up. No floor, no huge space, and the quilt is very stable when you're done.
    This is the method I use...absolutely LOVE it!

  2. #27
    Super Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    3,501
    Quote Originally Posted by katier825
    What kind of batting are you using? The spray doesn't work well with poly batting. If I have room, I generally tape down my backing. Lay the batting on top of it to center it. Then I fold it back 1/2 way and spray a section of batting, smooth it out, spray the next section. I spray in a grid fashion about 6" apart. When done with that, I lay the top out, fold it back as I do the back, spray the batting, smooth the fabric over it. I think crawling over it would not be good.
    ditto

  3. #28
    Super Member Ariannaquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    in the sticks of PA
    Posts
    1,110
    I haven't watched Sharon's method but I have watched Patsy Thompson's method and absolutely love it. Having a really bad back as well as bad knees that eliminated the floor, just happened to be watching her FMQ video's one night and there was the answer, it's just great and I recommend it to anyone. You can find the video on you tube or her website. Good luck!!

  4. #29
    Super Member catmcclure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bay Area near San Francisco
    Posts
    1,219
    Quote Originally Posted by Dordee
    I am really new to quilting and like many others I read your forum daily. Don't have a lot of tools and I do watch a lot of videos. But my problem now seems to be how to sandwich my quilt without losing my mind(Which is short by the way). I have tried to use the spray adhesive. which was not pleasant could not do without a lot of wrinkles. Don't have a wall large enough to hang. so right now I am placing on the floor and crawling all over it (Wrinkled mess). I Use the tied method because I am scared to try to FMQ and not pleased with my stitch in the ditch. Any suggestions?
    Google Sharon Schamber on YouTube. She has some great videos. She also has the neatest trick for sandwiching quilts - rolls the top on a long board/stick and then rolls it onto the batting - you can do a small section at a time.

  5. #30
    Senior Member cavmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    822
    i had bought a long folding table years ago and it made sandwiching easier and a good surface when tying the quilt. i just draped the back over the table centering it, then the batting and then the top. The weight of the fabric over the sides helps with keeping it smooth. i just worked from the center out and then moved it when necessary.

  6. #31
    Super Member ktmo815's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Strongsville, Ohio
    Posts
    1,330
    I do crawl on the floor method - only because that's all I have - I try not to crawl on the quilt though - besides it gets hard on the knees :D

  7. #32
    Super Member BluegrassGurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    1,520
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Go watch Sharon Schamber's basting videos. Just search youtube for her name and it'll come right up. No floor, no huge space, and the quilt is very stable when you're done.
    This is the method I am going to use on my next quilt. I hate bending over and doing all that pinning. Hard on my back and especially my knees!!!

  8. #33
    Senior Member Janquiltz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Peoria Arizona
    Posts
    696
    Blog Entries
    1
    I concur with scissor queen and vagabondmom - Sharon Schamber's method is excellent. That is the only way I sandwich any of my quilts. The starching method (2-3 times for front and back, and thread basting whether you will hand or machine quilt takes awhile to do but you do sitting down. Well worth the effort.

  9. #34
    Super Member donnalynett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,317
    In my world, sandwiching is quick and easy. Lay the batting on the floor or table. Then lay the backing on the batting, right side up. Then lay the quilt top on, right side down. Pin around the edges. Stitch around the entire works and leave an opening about 8" long. Turn the quilt right side out through the opening. Stitch the opening shut. Machine stitch with either a straight stitch or fancy stitch about 1" from the edge. Tie every 6" and you have a finished quilt.

  10. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Leland, North Carolina
    Posts
    71
    Blog Entries
    1
    Sharon Schamber's basting videos

    http://www.youtube.com/user/SharonSc.../0/bDcLMiR2SAo

    Thanks, I watched Sharon’s tutorial and I am going to try this method.

    I have arthritis in my knees and this will allow me to stay off the carpet.

  11. #36
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,663
    Blog Entries
    194
    thanks, I will go and see if I can find her link


    Patsy Thompson video

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UoUzK19Vww


    Quote Originally Posted by Ariannaquilts
    I haven't watched Sharon's method but I have watched Patsy Thompson's method and absolutely love it. Having a really bad back as well as bad knees that eliminated the floor, just happened to be watching her FMQ video's one night and there was the answer, it's just great and I recommend it to anyone. You can find the video on you tube or her website. Good luck!!

  12. #37
    Super Member rushdoggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    1,032
    Quote Originally Posted by scrappycats
    Lacking room to keep my table up that I use for pinning my quilts, I keep it under the bed in the guest bedroom. When possible I get my daughter to come over and help pin. But she is not always available and I don't have anyone else to help.

    I put the center the backing on the table and make sure it is straight by measuring the hanging part on all sides with a yardstick. Once it is straight, I clip it in place with giant binder clips. Next, I lay the batting over the backing and make sure the whole back is covered. Then I lay the top on top of everything and make sure it is all even with the backing by using the yardstick again.

    Now, I start the pinning process. I pin everything that is on the top of the table. Once that is all pinned, I release the binding clips and slid the sandwich over to the right or left and straighten and smooth it out. Then I pin that side. Then I do the same for the other side. If needed then I start on the top and then on the bottom. Though since my table is pretty long, most of my quilts do hang over at the top and bottom.

    The table I use is one of those like you see in churches or recreational buildings. I got it at Sams when I used to have booths at cat shows.
    After reading this method here, I did this with my last quilt and it works BEAUTIFULLY! Not only is it far more comfortable than crawling around on my hands and knees pinning, but there were absolutely no puckers. I love this method!

  13. #38
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    eastern Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,875
    I have 2 methods . One we met at the church and pushed two tables together. We then taped down the lining to the edges of the tabls. Then we layed to batting over that. Last but not least we pinned it to the whole sandwich. You can use the large clips from a quilt supply. I do not have that option here in my trailer. I just lat it out carefully and then pin all the layers together. It is not perfect but for tied quilts it works pretty good.

  14. #39
    Senior Member emlee51's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Big Sky Country
    Posts
    669
    Quote Originally Posted by katier825
    What kind of batting are you using? The spray doesn't work well with poly batting. If I have room, I generally tape down my backing. Lay the batting on top of it to center it. Then I fold it back 1/2 way and spray a section of batting, smooth it out, spray the next section. I spray in a grid fashion about 6" apart. When done with that, I lay the top out, fold it back as I do the back, spray the batting, smooth the fabric over it. I think crawling over it would not be good.
    How does that work with the overspray...or do you just spray in the middle and not go out toward the edges? I can lay mine out on the kitchen floor(Pergo), but am afraid of getting overspray on it.

  15. #40
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Portland, OR via Hawaii
    Posts
    1,339
    When I use my living room floor which is carpeted, I pin the backing to the carpet using "T" pins which you can get at your quilt shop.
    Then I lay the batting down. If the batting just came out of the bag I'll let it "rest" for a day or more or throw it in the dryer with a damp towel to relax it.
    Then I lay the top down and use pins to hold the sandwich together.

    With it all pinned together, you can then move it to your dining room table to tie it at a comfortable level.

    As for SID quilting...try a placemat size sandwich and give it a try....much easier to practice and learn with.... :wink:

  16. #41
    Senior Member gypsylady5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Leesburg, Florida
    Posts
    875
    That's pretty much how I do it with my dining room table. I put the extra leaves in and it is plenty wide enough. Then when I finish pinning the center, I move it up and do one side then the other always pulling the backing, batting and top to make sure they are without wrinkles. Didn't think about the giant clips, but I'll get some. I think that would be nice to use as well. But I don't have problems as long as I keep pulling to make sure things are straight. See if you can get to a large table to use and get up off the floor. Don't see how you can do that and keep your back.

    Quote Originally Posted by scrappycats
    Lacking room to keep my table up that I use for pinning my quilts, I keep it under the bed in the guest bedroom. When possible I get my daughter to come over and help pin. But she is not always available and I don't have anyone else to help.

    I put the center the backing on the table and make sure it is straight by measuring the hanging part on all sides with a yardstick. Once it is straight, I clip it in place with giant binder clips. Next, I lay the batting over the backing and make sure the whole back is covered. Then I lay the top on top of everything and make sure it is all even with the backing by using the yardstick again.

    Now, I start the pinning process. I pin everything that is on the top of the table. Once that is all pinned, I release the binding clips and slid the sandwich over to the right or left and straighten and smooth it out. Then I pin that side. Then I do the same for the other side. If needed then I start on the top and then on the bottom. Though since my table is pretty long, most of my quilts do hang over at the top and bottom.

    The table I use is one of those like you see in churches or recreational buildings. I got it at Sams when I used to have booths at cat shows.

  17. #42
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Duncan, AZ
    Posts
    115
    I sandwich my quilts on the kitchen table or if they are too large for that I do them on the carpet in the living room. If on the table I place one of those folding cardboard grid things you use to lay out clothing patterns underneath to protect table from scratches of curved safety pins. I use that also if doing it on the carpet so I don't pin the quilt to the floor. It slides around underneath without messing up the quilt.

  18. #43
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Duncan, AZ
    Posts
    115
    I sandwich my quilts on the kitchen table or if they are too large for that I do them on the carpet in the living room. If on the table I place one of those folding cardboard grid things you use to lay out clothing patterns underneath to protect table from scratches of curved safety pins. I use that also if doing it on the carpet so I don't pin the quilt to the floor. It slides around underneath without messing up the quilt.

  19. #44
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Duncan, AZ
    Posts
    115
    Sorry, didn't mean to send that twice!

  20. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Phenix City, Alabama
    Posts
    892
    Quote Originally Posted by teddysmom
    Quote Originally Posted by Dordee
    I am really new to quilting and like many others I read your forum daily. Don't have a lot of tools and I do watch a lot of videos. But my problem now seems to be how to sandwich my quilt without losing my mind(Which is short by the way). I have tried to use the spray adhesive. which was not pleasant could not do without a lot of wrinkles. Don't have a wall large enough to hang. so right now I am placing on the floor and crawling all over it (Wrinkled mess). I Use the tied method because I am scared to try to FMQ and not pleased with my stitch in the ditch. Any suggestions?
    I'm also a newbie and sandwiching the quilt can give me a headache just anticipating it. We live in a 35' fifth wheel, not always someplace where I can use long tables to tape the backing down. The floor isn't an option at my age (71) so I'm going to try my hand at lap quilting. I've got some scraps, some pieces of batting and some leftover backing. DH is leaving Thursday to work on tornado relief in AL (he'll be gone 3 days), so I'm going to give lap quilting a try. Will let you know if it works for me.
    i'm in a camper too and it is just not possible to pin baste in here. i was trying to do it outside on the picnic table, but... wind, heat, etc really doesn't help. now i'm doing sharon shomburgs method and it really is easier. i dont baste it, but rolling the front and back on the boards. and the batting also. does help. then you can just unroll alittle at a time and spray baste. tho your doing it backward sorta to how she does it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.