Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sandwiching >

Sandwiching

Sandwiching

Old 10-29-2010, 11:32 AM

the starch helped alot... but to me, the biggest tip was to tape the backing down first.... that keeps it from moving while pinning....
Old 10-29-2010, 11:56 AM

when i lay my quilts out, i do it on the living room floor.
if it's a large quilt, i fold it in half, then lay the muslin, usely in half on top of it to see how much to cut off the bolt. mark it with some extra, fold the quilt top out of the way, then use my rotary blade and mat to cut it. i measure my batting the same way, on top of the quilt top, measure, fold the quilt out of the way, and cut it off the bolt with my mat and rotary cutter.
then wash the muslin backing. material could be figured the same way. usually when ironing my top and backing there is a crease down the middle. i use that for a guide in laying out my quilt sandwich on the floor.
lay backing down, batting then quilt top on top. worry about getting the center down the middle straight along the crease from ironing, and make sure there is extra all aroundthe edges. 3-4 inches is enough. it does not have to be completely smooth and wringle free on the floor.
PIN WITH SAFTY PINS IN 3 PLACES ACROSS THE MIDDLE IRONING CREASE WHILE IT IS LAYING ON THE FLOOR. transfer the sandwich to a large table.
with you hand in the middle where the pins are, reach up and tug gently on the backing to straighten, and the batting, smoothing all 3 layers across the top of the table. i have used large fishing wts to help pull the 3 different layers smooth, but you don't have too. letting the quilt hang off the table overnight will help settle all the layers down. next day add loads more safetly pins to baste,
Old 10-29-2010, 12:09 PM

First you need to get good backing. I have tried to use cheaper fabric from joann's and it does not work as nice as better fabric- something like Kona solid. Or as suggested you could starch fabric. also I use a table that is not tlo thick so the clips will fit on it. A 4x6 banquet table is nice or I also use a large piece of smooth plywood placed on as smaller table (the wood can always be removed for storage) I also use large binding clips from an office supply store. These will really keep you backing in place. I smooth the backing taunt but not too stretched, clip securley down around all edges. Place batting on backing and smooth out. Place quilt top on batting and smooth out from the center. Then pin from center There is s pinning tool called"Kwik Klip" that is about $5 on sale at joann's and it really helps when pinning. If you have to move the sandwich then be sure to clip the entire top down as needed and also the backing. Not so hard but GOOD LUCk
Old 10-29-2010, 06:12 PM

What is the brand of starch everyone uses use?
Old 10-29-2010, 06:44 PM

I am comforted that I did everything right when I sandwiched my first quilt. I think the quality fabric and starch are really key.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:57 PM

Whether you use a wall ,table or floor, just make sure the back is positioned in a taut way with masking tape or some such, before you attach the other two layers. Then it should work for you.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:14 PM
Kas

I am basting my mom's quilt right now. Well, taking a break for a second. I use the bent basting pins with those plastic things on them. It really helps with the ouchies. Of course, I don't have the plastic doo hickies for all of them, so my fingers are sore. So is my back and neck. But I have to get it done so I can get it off the floor and away from the new kitten!
Old 10-30-2010, 12:39 PM

I haven't made a quilt yet, but I am so thankful for all these ideas.Because I did make a turkey wall hanging for us for Thanksgiving and it is a fairly good size and it had a few puckers where the fabric got cught in the stitching and I didn't notice until it was completely finsihed.But I wasn't about torip all those stitches out as I had echoed stitched aroune=d all the feathers etc.

So when I get ready to quilt the throw cover I will be sure to tape down the back tuat!

I never realized I should until all you great ladies posted.Thanks!