Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sandy Hook Elementary School - 700 blankets needed right away - FILLED already >

Sandy Hook Elementary School - 700 blankets needed right away - FILLED already

Sandy Hook Elementary School - 700 blankets needed right away - FILLED already

Old 12-18-2012, 08:49 PM

There is a major difference between those affected by natural, physical, disasters such as floods, earthquakes and hurricanes and the emotional disaster of what happened in Newtown. Their houses are still standing, they still have their jobs, the infrastructure is still sound...it's their hearts that are broken. The Red Cross is actually asking people to donate instead to The Sandy Hook School Support Fund, a special fund set up by the Western Connecticut chapter of the United Way to provide support services to the families that have been affected.

A listing of local support organizations and special funds, and how to make contributions, can be found easily online. Here's a comprehensive list as of tonight. Project Linus is mentioned, but I'm sending my check to the Newtown Memorial Fund to help pay for funeral costs and fund a permament memorial. As always, watch out for scams and do some checking before making any monetary donation.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2302760.html
Old 12-18-2012, 08:59 PM

I'm sure the students will love the quilts. As far as hurricane Sandy victims go, one of the best ways to donate is to go through a church group. We sent money to a church in TN that maintains a disaster relief center. As of Nov 24 they have sent and distributed 20 semi truck loads of supplies: food, water, personal items, blankets, clothes, furniture, new appliances, etc., including 3 truckloads of bleach! A truckload generally runs about $90,000.

http://disasterreliefeffort.org/?p=329
Old 12-19-2012, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by TexasGurl View Post
Agree, ghostrider ...

We've visited Newton several times before, we have friends in CT, and while this community has suffered a terrible, horrible tragedy ... I don't understand this request for 700 BLANKETS ? either ... Do the Brits call quilts blankets ??
The families in Newton as I recall, are mostly upper-middle class, to the very wealthy. I would think that nearby Connecticut quilt guilds and bees can provide comfort QUILTS for the children & families involved ... but 700 ... ??? Seems a bit much

Ditto to your reminder re. all those who are STILL IN NEED after the severe devastation of Hurricane Sandy. Quilters, please make a quick quilt or 2 to send to Sandy victims as well. Many are still without power, heat and basics, and into cold winter now. Our quilt bee of 20 members has sent 80+ quilts and have more to finish ...

I know very well how the Feds /FEMA respond to hurricane recovery, we lived through it here with Hurricane Ike in 2008. FEMA has (hopefully) improved their red tape and missteps since then - but the FED (& insurance) wheels still turn ALL TOO SLOWLY ...
I think I must make this a bit clearer, the request came from the stricken community to a Project Linus Chapter in the US who amazed us all by the prompt response. Why 700 quilts, I can only surmise that is one for each of the school children, their siblings and grieving families. Not such a lot when you look at that way.

As far as the needs of other people like the terrible hurt caused by Super Storm Sandy if you wish to donate to them or anybody who has suffered Google and you will find places where you can help like this one http://themodernquiltguild.com/2012/...-quilt-relief/

As far as Project Linus is concerned it is a Charity started in the US in the mid '80s especially for sick and traumatised children which I think the Sandy Hook tragedy firmly comes under. You can find a list of their US Chapters here http://www.projectlinus.org/volunteer/ and as you can see if covers the whole of the US, and is now Global as well.

Lastly I think when you have any sort of sickness or tragedy I think the huggle of a quilt home made with loving care does soothe and help to heal, and is nothing to do with how wealthy, poor or otherwise you are, just my pennyworth.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:49 AM

I have the same question BellaBoo. The memory quilts sounds like a great idea, but I would wait a bit and let the families grieve in peace, but I can't figure out why they want 700 quilts for the town. That doesn't even make sense to me.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:57 AM

Wow! Thank you for sending love and support in a form so a warm blanket. I pray all that receives them can feel the love when wrapped in the warmth of each blanket. My prays and love go out to each and every family and the community. What another terrible tragedy !!!
Old 12-19-2012, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by mmac71 View Post
Evidently you never lost a child!!!
Well I have lost a child and I agree with mmac71. It's time to leave them alone so they can grieve for the ones they lost. Those kids need to learn how to move on, not remember the worst day of their lives over and over.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:13 AM

The town does not need blankets, they need confort. The quilts will confort the children and others that the event has caused the hurt. Maybe a mothers arms holding a quilt given in love will help her.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:23 AM

Please don't EVER think that the only or even best way to donate money to a disaster is through the Red Cross. It is only the easiest way. There are lots of non-profit charity groups that give money to the same causes without strings attached, without charging the people. Inquire for yourself. All the information is available on the internet including the organizations administration's cost. Some organizations totally run on volunteer effort, some on reasonable salaries and some, like the Red Cross pay the CEO a tremendous, tremendous salary. Due to its size the Red Cross usually gets most of the media coverage but it isn't usually even the first one to give aid. Do you know that all the money collected for the victims of the Haiti earthquake was not given to those victims and there are still people living in tents that lost their homes from the earthquake?
Old 12-19-2012, 06:09 AM

It saddens my heart to hear of the negativism about sending quilts to folks who lost a child. I can tell you from personal experience that it doesn't matter if you have money or not. IT DOES NOT MATTER!! To those of you who are negative, I can only hope that you and yours never lose a child tragically or suddenly. Thanks to those who lead by helping and being positive about that help.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:12 AM

Wonderful!!!!