Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sandy Hook Elementary School - 700 blankets needed right away - FILLED already >

Sandy Hook Elementary School - 700 blankets needed right away - FILLED already

Sandy Hook Elementary School - 700 blankets needed right away - FILLED already

Old 12-18-2012, 07:16 AM

I know this town well. I spent most of my childhood and youth there, moved back when I was first married, my daughter was born there and many of my relatives are buried there. All Newtown is asking for are prayers and the world's respect for their privacy.

I know that sending quilts in times of trouble makes many quilters feel good, but the people of Staten Island, NY who are still living without electricity and heat in thier homes would be so much better served by your generosity than the families in Newtown. Please let the parents and counselors decide how to best comfort each individual child now and in the years to come.

The USPS has set up a special PO box if you care to send notes or letters to the families, the first responders, or the residents. Please know it is for cards and letters only, not for packages, and that all incoming mail will be screened by local community groups to make sure it is appropriate for the families. The address is, PO Box 3700, Newtown, CT 06470.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I'd do anything I can to help the families of that town. I don't understand though why the town needs blankets.
Quilts a re a symbol of Love, Prayer, Thought, We give them with Love & Tender Thought that are carried thru to the person who receives . They Need a Hug this one way of hug them with lots of Love .
Old 12-18-2012, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by MaryAnnMc View Post
The world is full of wonderful folk. Please tell me all 700 quilts aren't coming from the UK... that's an expense!

I love the idea of memory quilts for the families. Quilts for the children from the affected school is a nice gesture, too. But 700? I'm with BellaBoo. Hurricane Sandy families seems like a better choice to me. But that's just my 2¢, and we all know what that's worth!
Evidently you never lost a child!!!
Old 12-18-2012, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by mmac71 View Post
Evidently you never lost a child!!!
Amen to that! I lost a dear little neighbor boy, who was as close as a son. I would have given anything for my children to have had a quilt to bring them solace at that time. Their best friend was gone and they didn't understand why; never thought of making them quilts in those days.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:37 AM

Totally AWESOME!... I just now saw this and I think it is great. Sorry I was in on this, but I'm sure PROUD of all who are!
God Bless you all,
Penny
Old 12-18-2012, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
I know this town well. I spent most of my childhood and youth there, moved back when I was first married, my daughter was born there and many of my relatives are buried there. All Newtown is asking for are prayers and the world's respect for their privacy.

I know that sending quilts in times of trouble makes many quilters feel good, but the people of Staten Island, NY who are still living without electricity and heat in thier homes would be so much better served by your generosity than the families in Newtown. Please let the parents and counselors decide how to best comfort each individual child now and in the years to come.

The USPS has set up a special PO box if you care to send notes or letters to the families, the first responders, or the residents. Please know it is for cards and letters only, not for packages, and that all incoming mail will be screened by local community groups to make sure it is appropriate for the families. The address is, PO Box 3700, Newtown, CT 06470.
Agree, ghostrider ...

We've visited Newton several times before, we have friends in CT, and while this community has suffered a terrible, horrible tragedy ... I don't understand this request for 700 BLANKETS ? either ... Do the Brits call quilts blankets ??
The families in Newton as I recall, are mostly upper-middle class, to the very wealthy. I would think that nearby Connecticut quilt guilds and bees can provide comfort QUILTS for the children & families involved ... but 700 ... ??? Seems a bit much

Ditto to your reminder re. all those who are STILL IN NEED after the severe devastation of Hurricane Sandy. Quilters, please make a quick quilt or 2 to send to Sandy victims as well. Many are still without power, heat and basics, and into cold winter now. Our quilt bee of 20 members has sent 80+ quilts and have more to finish ...

I know very well how the Feds /FEMA respond to hurricane recovery, we lived through it here with Hurricane Ike in 2008. FEMA has (hopefully) improved their red tape and missteps since then - but the FED (& insurance) wheels still turn ALL TOO SLOWLY ...

Last edited by TexasGurl; 12-18-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:20 AM

the same reason that towns needed the comfort dogs and the outpouring of love from strangers and the visit from the President. It lets them take a breath and find comfort in unconditional kindness.
I live approximately 10 miles from Newtown/Sandy Hooks. When IBM moved us back to the US from Australia I looked at Sandy Hooks as a place to settle.
As it is, an IBMer lost a child-did I know them-no-but I can relate. My son was in school in Colorado when Columbine happened. I was frantic to locate him and to know he was safe.
You don't need an excuse to bring a smile to a tear stained face or a reason to PIF. God hopes it never happens to you or yours-but if it does let it be known that the are good people, caring people willing to go the extra to comfort you.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:32 AM
Power Poster

the blankets are a done deal. delivered. so think of all the super storm victims who need blankets, toothpaste, etc.
even quilts.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
the blankets are a done deal. delivered. so think of all the super storm victims who need blankets, toothpaste, etc.
even quilts.
this is why instead of gift for a family that doesn't need anything else we donated money to the local Social Services. Have been doing this for the last 4 years.
BTW-a local church bought and is installing 20 trailers for Staten Island families that lost everything. As a community we are doing what we can-quilts take time and yes it is cold here. We haven't forgotten our neighbours to the south or our responsibilities as citizens of the northeast. We are working on it as we surf!!
Old 12-18-2012, 12:48 PM

i'm with Ghostrider on this one. while the intentions are good, I don't think it is the best idea. These people need to be left alone to grieve.
Even sending quilts to victims of natural disasters isn't really a help, money is.(sending "things" just makes the sender feel good).