Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sandy Hook Elementary School - 700 blankets needed right away - FILLED already >

Sandy Hook Elementary School - 700 blankets needed right away - FILLED already

Sandy Hook Elementary School - 700 blankets needed right away - FILLED already

Old 12-17-2012, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mary O View Post
Why does the town need blankets?There are starving and cold children that really need them.....
Please take time to read and visit this site: http://www.projectlinus.org/about/ The name of Project LINUS is named after the character in the Snoopy cartoons who was always seen sucking on the cornier of his security blanket and when approached, Eric Schulz the creator, gladly gave his permission to use the name because of what it represents.

Project Linus gives to starving and cold children but also to sick and traumatised ones, which most of the donated quilts I recieve are passed on to our local hospital so that when a wee one goes in poorly and sick and frightened into the cold atmosphere of a hospital they are given a warm colourful security quilt.

The person in Sandy Hook contacted Project Linus as she knew they would help. Our quilts are not to do with wealth, title or creed, it is to do with need. Sick and traumatized children need some security in their lives, especially in such a traumatic time as this.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:48 PM

what they need is to know that we recognise their hurt--how better than with a gift given with love --- one they can wrap arround them like a hug--------ive been blasted by life --my thick toweling dressing gown gave me great comfort.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:47 PM
Power Poster

I tthink its great the they came forward. A big round of applause for project linus.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:54 AM

Everyone needs a hug when tragedy hits, whether you are young or old, rich or poor. Nothing says "hug" better than a quilt that a stranger made. Just think of wrapping that quilt around you and curling up in your favorite spot, just to reflect on life. I am currently making and helping to finish quilts for the New York victims of Hurricane Sandy. It warms my heart to know that I am doing just a LITTLE to help those in need. Sometimes the warmth of a quilt is as important as money.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:02 AM

It is just an awe-inspiring testament to the quality of quilters when they come together in such a short time to fulfill a need for a hurting community. When sudden tragedy happens, especially the loss of a beloved child, there is little trust left for the remaining parents, siblings, and relatives. Money plays no part in how grief is felt. It takes many, many years of therapy and loving people to help a person get through that loss. (Not get over. Get though.) There are words in the English language for people who have lost a spouse (widow, widower) and for children who have lost a parent (orphan). BUT there is NO word for parents who have lost a child, because the thought of that is just too horrific. To all the quilters who had items they could send...thank you.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:11 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

The world is full of wonderful folk. Please tell me all 700 quilts aren't coming from the UK... that's an expense!

I love the idea of memory quilts for the families. Quilts for the children from the affected school is a nice gesture, too. But 700? I'm with BellaBoo. Hurricane Sandy families seems like a better choice to me. But that's just my 2¢, and we all know what that's worth!
Old 12-18-2012, 05:13 AM
Power Poster

Awesome! Quilters are such giving people. My heart goes out to those families.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:29 AM

Amen to the post by RainydayQuilter. I believe she summed it up perfectly. God Bless not only the families of Newton, but also anyone that can express their love toward them at this time.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:37 AM

I totally agree with RainydayQuilter. God Bless You!
Old 12-18-2012, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by MaryAnnMc View Post
The world is full of wonderful folk. Please tell me all 700 quilts aren't coming from the UK... that's an expense!

I love the idea of memory quilts for the families. Quilts for the children from the affected school is a nice gesture, too. But 700? I'm with BellaBoo. Hurricane Sandy families seems like a better choice to me. But that's just my 2¢, and we all know what that's worth!
No they are not from the UK but from generous quilters in the US.