Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Sash or Just Sew Together plus extra blocks for border?

Question Sash or Just Sew Together plus extra blocks for border?

I hope I uploaded my photos correctly.

Need some opinions on whether to sew this 1930's print blocks (top photo- sorry it makes you dizzy since its upside down) together or to add a white sashing in between each block? I am leaning towards sashing.

I have extra leftover fabric (bottom photo) that I could incorporate into a border but not sure how do it? Any ideas are welcome.

Thank you,
    Pat
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by pseudoquilter; 11-19-2015 at 03:21 PM.

I'd add black in between. That would be more dramatic and show off the colors!

Border--maybe a narrow black and then my binding would be the scraps of color that I had left over.
    Ginger
    ~stitching one thread at a time~

Seems to me that sashing would really set-off those pretty blocks. Sorry, no ideas for you about a border. Maybe wait to decide until you complete the center, then maybe it will speak to you I like the white sashing idea you mentioned.

Thank you Ginger. I already have a white Jelly Roll so that is why I was going with that.

Pat

Lay it out and see if you like the look of various widths of sashing.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Sashing would indeed bring out the beauty of the individual blocks. I the idea of a darker color for the sashing.

White or black sashing would be nice, fairly narrow sashing. I usually don't do borders, so if you need it larger, I would add more blocks. The blocks seem fairly light, so would lean toward white sashing over black on this one.
    I just want to spend the rest of my life laughing.

you could do a piano key border. would look really nice.

Hi pseudoquilter, previously a member posted about pictures being upside down and they suggested that if we just right click on it and then click on view image the pictures shows in the correct orientation..... and yes yours does! I really like the look of the blocks without sashings or a border.... as long as you don't need to make it larger for your purpose.

I think white sashing would look more compatible with the 30's prints. The blocks are beautiful. I'd do a narrow white border (same width as sashing) and then a scrappy outer border using the 30's prints. I think it will be gorgeous.

I'd sash it with something, white, black, a color in one of the prints. I think it's just too busy otherwise. Beautiful blocks, though!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    If you use sashing you don't have to worry about matching seams.

I think that sashing would give you a point on which to rest your eyes and take in each pretty block rather than trying to separate them mentally.

Blog Entries
    It looks like you have these blocks laid out on a white blanket.....so move them apart a bit (the width of shashing) so the white shows between the blocks....then take another picture. I bet it will give you an idea of how the shashing will look, and I think I will like it.
    fatquarters

I think a small white border would look great with your blocks. Good luck on your decision. Love your blocks by the way.

Definitely sash...otherwise the blocks rather run together. The extra fabric...if you don't want to do a piano key border, you could incorporate them into the back of the quilt - I always love a backing that has extra blocks and fabrics in it because it adds interest and is an easy way to widen the backing if you need to.

I think white sashing, with cornerstones. Otherwise it's too hard to appreciate all the colors in the squares, your mind doesn't separate them out.
    Be kinder than necessary
    For everyone is fighting some kind of battle

I don't know. I love how they make that little diamond where the blocks come together if you don't have a sashing. White would definitely make it look more updated/modern.

Your blocks are great!! I'd do a white sashing, narrow white border (or one of those flanges in white), then a piano key border with your extra fabric.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

I just wanted to say I love your fabrics!
    take plenty of pic of family & friends, keep tabs on loved ones but make time for yourself !