Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To sash or not to sash.. that is the question..... >

To sash or not to sash.. that is the question.....

To sash or not to sash.. that is the question.....

Old 07-20-2014, 05:34 PM

I would sash with the lighter gray, not real wide though. And I think your fabrics and blocks look super. I like the randomness of your layout.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:03 AM

I love it! You did a great job. I like the first one better and that's because I like the deeper yellow. At first glance, I think the left upper side of the top has too much pattern. How about moving the top row 3rd from left (top picture) block to where the bottom gray block is and putting a light yellow in the top row. I agree that a thin black sashing and a border of black and the darker yellow would look great. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:35 AM
Power Poster

First thing first. Your blocks are great. I like that you took one block pattern and made them look totally different.

I would place a strips of black between the blocks maybe 1/2" to 1" finish size and see how that changes the quilt. I would take another photo and see if it is something you like. I think since the blocks are pastel in regards to hue that the black will frame each one making them pop.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:43 AM

I love your quilt blocks but as my eyes were roaming around the quilt, it got stuck on the black one in the middle. I am not too crazy about the grey either. Maybe in person, it looks better. I do like your quilt a great deal. I would put sashing down and see what it looks like, I think this quilt will turn out quite nice.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:23 AM

Your blocks and colors are so pretty. I would rearrange them so that the busy blocks are broken up by the plainer blocks to give the eye a "rest". Plainer blocks are good for calming it down. Also, maybe instead of the solid light gray
blocks, you might find a gray and white print or yellow and white print to use, but not too busy of a pattern. Maybe you can consider using a black and white print instead of the solid black block. That way, the eye can rest, but the solid blocks will have a little more interest. You can try rearranging them by looking at the sections as nine patches and balance each section between busy and plain. If you choose to sash it, instead of solid black, maybe a tone on tone black would be pretty. Great job on the pieced blocks, the choices of print and color are really nice.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:56 AM

I am confused! Why did you use print blocks in the top? they do not read as solid and seem to distract from the great pieced blocks. I think that you should take out the 3 print bocks and replace then with solid blocks- maybe more gray or yelow. even if you alternate solid blocks and then the pieced blocks. That would really show off the piecing. As I see it now the pieced blocks get lost.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:02 AM

I agree with you, vcquan. Deciding about colors and widths of sashes and borders can be really frustrating. And everyone has great suggestions. I often lay the fabric I'm thinking about using for sashing under the blocks to audition the color and/or width. It helps me 'see' what the final project will look like.

Personally, I like the idea of a dark grey or black for sashing. But, if you use black, I would take out the black blocks. The sashing won't show up if it's the same color as a block and that particular block will stand out like a sore thumb.

I would suggest that you not use white in your outermost border. It's a great background on the blocks but it's not different enough to pop out and 'frame' your quilt picture. And, there's always that, 'white gets dirty faster' thing, too. Again, I'd use black and the yellow that you've picked. I like to use 3 colors in my borders.... with graduating sizes starting skinny and going bigger..... like, black (1"), then maybe the white because at that spot, it's not touching your blocks (2 1/2") and the bright print or yellow (3 1/2"). You'd have 7" of border. That sounds like what you were originally thinking.

You just have to show us what you come up with when you decide. Decisions are so difficult.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:42 AM

I love your pieced blocks and all those nice prints. But you have 5 solid blocks, 4 of which are in a row. I would try to "sprinkle" the plain blocks and print blocks among the pieced blocks. (And probably leave out the two darkest ones altogether. I like the idea of black sashing or black borders. Lay it all out on black and see what you think.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:20 AM

First, let me say that I shouldn't be on the Board before my caffeine. I thought your subject was "to stash or not to stash" and I thought that was a ridiculous question. Who wouldn't want a stash?!

LOVE your blocks and the fabrics that you have chosen What a happy quilt!

My two cents worth - I'd get rid of the plain blocks and replace them with another block of the prints that you have used (I love them!). I'd do a narrow sash in black. Just make sure that the blocks that are all one fabric are dispersed throughout the quilt and not clumped in one area.

I'm anxious to see the finished product. It's gonna be fabulous!
Old 07-22-2014, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by carolaug View Post
I was thinking the same as Judy, of maybe take out the black block and replace with another yellow block and then a black border?
My thoughts also