Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Sashing - Colour Suggestions, Please.

Sashing - Colour Suggestions, Please.

Iím a relatively newbie quilter and am about to make my first scrappy quilt to donate to Project Linus.

I donít want to use white for the sashing and as the quilt could be for a boy or girl I donít want to use pink or blue either.

Can anyone suggest a colour for me to use - would grey be appropriate?

Yes, a gray would be good, a tan or ecru would also be good

Lots of colours are possible ......
    Just go with what you think looks good as you get your blocks made.
    Decide now, and you may totally change your mind as to what colour looks best,
    once you have the scrappy blocks made.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I agree with QuiltE- better to wait till you have the top done and then see if a certain color in the blocks old makes great frame.

I think light grey would be perfect. I love it, and have used it a couple of times with wonderful results.

This one I am working on right now. The grey just sets everything off so well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Boston1954; 05-07-2018 at 10:26 AM.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

I would look at your completed blocks then choose the predominant color to use as the sashing. You could also choose a neutral: gray, tan, beige, navy, black, brown. Third idea I have is to use a contrasting color to the predominant one. Whatever you choose to do, the children will love the quilt.
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Blog Entries
    Just a thought: children like bright primary colors best.

Blog Entries
    Depending on the colors in the blocks, black or navy blue might work.

I agree with waiting until the top is finished. There are many colors that are general "baby" colors besides the pinks and blues. ... yellows and minty greens, come to mind. Sometimes I use a fabric in the top to use as binding, but then you have to have a very large "scrap" to have enough fabric. Just audition colors after the top is done and something will pop out as the best one.

Oops! I misread your question, sorry!
    Last edited by SillySusan; 05-08-2018 at 12:02 AM.

Thank you for all your lovely suggestions - you have been very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
    I think light grey would be perfect. I love it, and have used it a couple of times with wonderful results.

This one I am working on right now. The grey just sets everything off so well.
    What a beautiful quilt and, yes, the light grey really does look good!

Part of the decision has to do with the scraps you are using. If there are lots of strong colors you might consider navy blue. If the overall feel is more moderate, I would think gray would be great. Since you are undecided I would think that finishing the blocks and laying them on a color you might choose for the sashing would give you the best ideas.

A friend of mine uses mostly burgundy, navy, and "Harry Potter" green for her scrappy quilts - they all look great.

Blog Entries
    Choose a color that makes the blocks pop or stand out. You'll know what to use when you have them finished. After living in Seattle for 18.5 years 9but who counted?) I do not use gray. In anything. IF this is a child's quilt, they are more drawn to brights. IMHO
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    I always have a laugh with my students when I tell them 'your quilt will tell you what it wants'. I don't want to make that sound all Zen-like, but it is true. When you have finished your blocks, lay out a few colors and sit the blocks on them (what we call auditioning). Leave the room and each time you walk in,look at your samples and think about what grabs your attention and why. Is it conflicting with the blocks? does it fade away? or does it really frame the blocks and make them shine? Sometimes it is the color you would never expect that brings out the best. Also, if 2 colors are really striking you as great, consider using ones as sashing and the other as cornerstones.

Black always looks good with scrappy.

mac
    As you can see, we all think that different colors would work. I do what others do and that is to wait until the blocks are sewn together and see what color catches my eye first and go with that color.

When I first started quilting umpteen years ago, someone once told me that red, dark blue or black solid colors goes with just about any color. Since I tend to use a lot of reds or blues in my quilts, that advice has always worked for me. Black works with just about any color and tends to really make block colors stand out.

Another thing that I would consider is that since this quilt is for Project Linus, I would think that the darker colors would keep the quilt looking cleaner for a longer period of time.

I will agree that children are drawn to bright happy colors and not to colors such as gray and black....but a brighter navy would be o.k. I've made several quilts for Project Linus and all are out of the colors in a primary coloring box. But in the end I will say that color choices are up to the maker.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    Lots of colours are possible ......
    Just go with what you think looks good as you get your blocks made.
    Decide now, and you may totally change your mind as to what colour looks best,
    once you have the scrappy blocks made.
    This is good advice. Sometimes after blocks are completed a color stands out that you had completely overlooked as a sashing color before. I don't think the sashing should distract from the blocks but rather complement them.
    Have fun. Glad you are giving to the Linus project.