Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sashing help please >

Sashing help please

Sashing help please

Old 06-12-2014, 10:23 AM

Default Sashing help please

I am making a stacked coins quilt with my poorly cut batiks, I have 8 rows and each row is 65 inches long. I would like to add washing between each row to help add some width. It is best to sash the side of each block or can I sash one long piece of fabric? I am concerned about waves and wonkiness with the one long piece but it sure would be quicker !! Oh wise quilters what would be best????
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 06-12-2014, 10:26 AM

Definitely long pieces of sashing. Sashing each individual strip would (in my opinion) open the door for more wonkiness, with all the extra seams.
You will want to make sure your columns are straight, before you add sashing.And you'll have to take care when joining hte columns together that the coins on each side of the sashing line up in even rows, without getting offset/wonky on the way down the strip. Best option for that is to mark the sashing where each seam should hit, and make sure it stays aligned while stitching.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:25 AM

One long strip would be faster, however I personally have better luck with accuracy to add it to each block then join the blocks into rows/columns to finish the assembly.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:34 AM
Power Poster

i used long strips on the one i did... fairly easy if you measure the length of your stacks and make sure they are the same
Old 06-12-2014, 11:38 AM

Just sew the sashing to one of the coin stacks, then reverse and start sewing that sash to the other stack....so you will be alternating your starting/ stopping place...do not sew each one starting on the same " top"... That will make it wonky...and be careful pressing...just raise and lower that iron as you go......don't travel too far with it...hope that helps...
Old 06-12-2014, 11:55 AM

I have had tremendous success with a method that I learned in Weeks Ringle and Bill Kerr's book, Quilts Made Modern. I will try to explain it. After you have your coins stacks assembled (which it appears you do), don't cut long narrow sashings. Instead use a strip of sashing fabric that is a few inches longer than the length of your stacks, but maybe 20 inches or more wide. (I've even used the whole WOF.) Sew your coin stack on to that wide strip, press your seam open and then cut the wide strip down to the width you want your sashing to be, measuring from the seam and adding 1/4" for your seam allowance. Sash every coin stack in this manner, continuing to use that wide strip (which will keep getting narrower.) When all your stacks are sashed, sew them together. Be sure that if you want the outer borders wider than the interior sashings, you cut them wider. I wouldn't worry about trying to match seams horizontally across the quilt. Just be sure that they are even across the top and bottom. Hope you can understand this. I've made three quilts in this way, and they were perfectly rectangular - no wonkiness at all. Good luck. I love your fabrics.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:19 PM

I've done long sashing without much trouble. Just treat it like a border. A border that happens to be inside the quilt.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:28 PM

On regular blocks I like doing it on the side on each strip and then using cornerstones (sometimes even in the same color - to make it easier to match). However on this I would use just one long strip, mainly because with the color difference between each coin strip even if they are even they don't look it so you don't have to worry as much. It's wonderful how our eyes fool us!
Old 06-12-2014, 02:24 PM

If you have sufficient yardage, you could cut your long sashing strips parallel to the selvage, which yields a piece that is more stable than a cross grain strip. If not, that's okay, as long as you're careful cutting and piecing the crosswise strips to get your 65".

Nice colors; it will be a pretty quilt.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:16 PM

Thank you everyone for all the tips!!! I learn so much everyday, thank you for helping me!