Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sashing is a pain in the arse!!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooks1217
    Before you sew on your sashing you need to measure carefully your block.Your sashing pieces should be the same size as your block.EXACTLY!!!
    OR: sew on the sashing strip slightly oversize and trim it flush with the block. I have used both methods. When I use the same sashing for all the blocks, I line up the blocks one after the other and string piece the sashing. Then I press and trim/square off each side.

Ok everyone! I bought the new fabric! I bought 4 yards of 100% cotton! Feels sooo much better then that other stuff. I bought alot of it because I know I will use it in other projects and I might also use it as the backing for this quilt as well.

Thank you all for your wonderful answers and support. I have come to love this group so much and I spend just as much time here as I do actually quilting!

Much love to you all!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blzzrdqueen
    I bought 4 yards of 100% cotton!
    Just so you are aware there is a new syndrome called SABLE (Stash accumulation beyond life expectancy). I think you're on your way. Welcome to the club. :D

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Quote Originally Posted by blzzrdqueen
    I bought 4 yards of 100% cotton!
    Just so you are aware there is a new syndrome called SABLE (Stash accumulation beyond life expectancy). I think you're on your way. Welcome to the club. :D
    LOL!! That is too funny! I'm going to make that a little sign for my stash drawers and hang it there! I love it!

Can't wait to see the photos of the finished blocks! ;-)

And MadQuilter is right... you're doomed. LOL

I am a famous walmart shopper, thet do have a cotton solid black for about 3 dollars...or dr blue or green will do. Now that black you have will be great for haloween costumes or decorations this fall.

ok, here is my 2 cents worth, first, trash the black, I learned the hard way to always use good 100% cotton. And yes I do make quilts for my Great Dane, he is a big part of my family. Nothing fancy, just squares with cotton batting and I tie them, but he definitively knows his quilts and doesn't want anyone else on them. Someday I would love to make an heirloom. but I quilt for the pleasure that It gives me. And I love seeing Mortimer, (dog) happy on his quilt. Ninnie in NC
    Attached Images Attached Images

I feel if you're willing to put the time in to make that block, I wouldn't be willing to jeopardize it by using fabric that is not suitable. Go to Wal-Mart and buy a yard at $2.00 and have a finished piece you'll be proud of. Nothing worse than putting in all the work to have a piece you don't like and that won't hold up by the time you're finished. Free doesn't always mean it's ok to use. A quilt is an investment...not just of money, but love and your time. Keep plugging. You learn something new everyday and never have all the answers. That's why we have this forum..it's wonderful!!!

Oh, I love Mortimer. He is sooooo big, yet soooo cute. Love great danes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninnie
    ok, here is my 2 cents worth, first, trash the black, I learned the hard way to always use good 100% cotton. And yes I do make quilts for my Great Dane, he is a big part of my family. Nothing fancy, just squares with cotton batting and I tie them, but he definitively knows his quilts and doesn't want anyone else on them. Someday I would love to make an heirloom. but I quilt for the pleasure that It gives me. And I love seeing Mortimer, (dog) happy on his quilt. Ninnie in NC
    Looks to me like Mortimer also has a gorgeous antique bed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ninnie
    Hey Mortimer deserves his own quilt. My baby Jake, which you see here in his Santa Hat, is our child. We don't have children. We drive Jake, 4 hours to his grandparents when we go out of town. Not many more years left with us, he is 13.

Hey, we all learn by asking questions! I've learned a lot just by logging on some days!

Jojo

Hi, I would follow PittsburgPams directions and measure ends and middles, and also put the stretchy fabric on the bottom as you sew. Pin each piece too, pin each end and at least once in the middle, don't take out the pins till you get right up to them. This will stop you from stretching them more. Always have your sashing and borders on the bottom as it creates less waving. Always measure and pin, don't just sew a sashing piece on the block and then cut, you will get stretching that way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2