Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sashing is a pain in the arse!! >

Sashing is a pain in the arse!!

Sashing is a pain in the arse!!

Old 04-06-2009, 01:08 PM

Oops... I shouldn't have had breakfast before hitting "submit". ;-)

My first choice would also be to biff the black and get new stuff.

But if it's not an option, you can make it work. It depends on what your making it for too. If it's a quilt for the dogs (don't laugh, I've made several! lol) it's a little different to a family heirloom that will be passed down for generations. Likewise, if it's your first and you just want to get something done, then it's the process and not the end product. It's your call really. :-)
Old 04-06-2009, 01:28 PM

It is a little difficult to tell exactly what you say is wrong but, do you mean that there is just too much fabric at the corners?

If you are just taking a length of sashing and sewing it on then cutting it to length it will stretch out the side of the block and it will make the sashing do that little wing out at the corners.

Measure your block side-to-side through the center of the block, not the edges. Cut your first two sides of sashing the same measurement. Mark the middle (pinch a crease, use a pen, or a pin) of the block and the sashing strip. Match up the middle and the ends and ease in any fullness. It will likely seem that the sashing strip is too short unless your block is absolutely square since it tends to stretch on the outside edges.

Press the border seam towards the border. Measure across the block and the two borders and cut the other two sashing strips the same, sew them on the same way.

See if that solves the issue of getting them square.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:30 PM
Power Poster

Are you beeing stubborn or is your wallet crying at the thought of buying ANY fabric? IF you are being stubborn and use the "I'll be damned if this fabric is going to get the better of me" approach, then go ahead and fight it to the bitter end. :D

There is some basic solid color cotton available for a few bucks a yard and it would make your life so much easier. It may not be the best quality either, but at least it would not stretch or distort.

That said, iron-on interfacing is available in various thicknesses and the thicker it is, the stiffer the end result will be. Your best bet is to take a piece of your fabric to the fabric store and ask the nice lady what to back it with. If your fabric is polyester, you want something that bonds at a low heat so you won't scorch the fabric.

BTW: If you happen to iron on the wrong side of the interfacing (usually you'll only do that once), you can sometimes get the sticky stuff off the iron by ironing the residue off on a dryer sheet.

Whatever you end up doing, don't let a challenging first experience kill the joy. :D
Old 04-06-2009, 01:35 PM

May I point out that the last time I went to the fabric store, they were not giving away interface either. By the time you buy the interface, you could have just bought the correct fabric. And have the correct fabric on that very nice block you made.

tim (inexpensive but not cheap) (and yes, my first quilt IS an heirloom) (and no, I don't make quilts for dogs) in san jose

Old 04-06-2009, 02:38 PM

lol

I made my first quilt for one of my dogs so that I felt no pressure for it to be perfect, and could concentrate on enjoying the experience. There is method to my madness. Not always, but sometimes! LOL ;-)
Old 04-06-2009, 02:58 PM

The black fabric you are trying to use is not a good match for your patch! It looks like lingerie fabric, or some such thin material. I would not use that, even if it is the right color!
(You can test for cotton fabric by usig a match and burning a thread. Non natural fiber melts. Natural fabrics will burn.) Mixing fabric in a quilt is usually not recommended. Crazy quilts are an exception. Anything goes, but they are usually not expposed to heavy wear, nor laundered.
BTW, trim the seams where your corners overlap. You will be happier with the end result.
Go for the fun, but remember we have most likely made these mistakes which is why we are giving this advice. :?
Old 04-06-2009, 03:54 PM

just a thought: are you cutting with the grain or across the grain?

cutting across the grain will add stretch to an already stretchy fabric. cutting lengthwise will give some more stability, even though it may not be enough.

IMHO your time should be worth more than you're giving it. if possible, go for the better fabric. if not, starch, press, dry. let it rest and repeat. cut your longest edges on grain.

in the end it may be hopeless. how many yards do you actually need? there are sales all the time online.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:06 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions! I've decided this fabric is not worth my time and effort and I will go get new fabric tomorrow after work. I know Joann's carries good fabric, so I'll more then likely go there. I'm a magazine vendor in a local walmart and my store happens to have tons and tons of fabric and the ladies that work in that department are fantastic, so I'll see them first. I've carefully taken this crap fabric off my block and thrown it away. I still have 3 yards of it and I'm not sure what to do with it, if anything. It may very well be a lost cause.

So now I'm sitting here at my desktop computer (hubby is on the laptop) wanted to do something quilt related, but seeing as I can't do the sashing tonight, I feel lost!! :roll: My next project after my sampler is completed is the quilt I plan to work on with my 10 year old. But, I also want something to work on after she goes to bed at night...so, here I am twiddling my thumbs thinking, thinking, thinking.............
Old 04-06-2009, 04:12 PM

I am not sure if I am answering the question about your sashing correctly or not but since you are a newbie-if not hopefully you can use this info at another time.
Before you sew on your sashing you need to measure carefully your block.Your sashing pieces should be the same size as your block.EXACTLY!!! I only put sashing on my sides and use long sashing pieces for tops and bottoms once I sew all my blocks together.
But the most important thing is to measure,measure,measure.
Would have put smiley faces on but I don't know how.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by k_jupiter
tim (inexpensive but not cheap) (and yes, my first quilt IS an heirloom) (and no, I don't make quilts for dogs) in san jose
Good to see those hobbit feet again! Frugality is nothing to be sneezed at!