Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Sashing question....with several strips of fabric

Question Sashing question....with several strips of fabric

Instead of using only one strip of fabric between squares, three thinner strips together? Hope everyone understands what I am asking. Thank you.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    you can, but you have to be VERY accurate with your seams or it will look wavy!

I have done that and it looks great. Just make sure (as jaciqltznok said) the seams are straight. One I was 1" finished and did a small 9-patch in the corners and (sigh) I sewed them on 3 different machines. You guessed it the 1/4" were just enough different that I could not join everything together. The more pieces you have the more particular you have to be about your seams.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Jim
    more than one strip of fabric looks great as sashing I prefer three if using more than one and I also make two of them the same size...like 1 inch outer sashes and 1 inch inner sash...just more visual appealing to me
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort :lol:

There are no rules! But seams and things usually need to look like you have done things on purpose and have done it well. If you find you have trouble getting all the seams to look exactly straight - try making them look very curvy and wavy on purpose. Anything is acceptable as long as it looks like it is designed to be the way it appears. Straight seams are fine - curved, wavy seams are acceptable. If your seams aren't straight, multiple the waviness until it is a design factor. However - seams that wavy are sometimes as difficult as straight ones. But there aren't any rules, only creativity! Go for broke however you want to!

Go for it. I would use lots of starch to keep everything straight.
    I would also cut the strips a little longer, sew them together
    then trim...then add it as one big sashing. Does this makes sense?

Sounds fabulous!!! I learned something about sewing strips after my last project that might be helpful for you. If your going to sew the strips together at once and cut to length ....ex three 1" by 44" then cutting them to your block size, to avoid the wave sew two together then sew on the opposite side of the first. it's supposed to help! Hopefully I explained it right if not I'm sure someone will clarify. Can't wait to see yours!! happy Quilting!
    *Rachel*

I also put 3 strips together. To avoid the wonkiness, alternate the direction you sew the pieces. You put 2 pieces - and you sew from the "top" to the "bottom" When you add the next strip, sew from the "bottom" to the "top" , alternating for every piece added.

And then starch and press the heck out of it!! LOL!!!
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

Now am thinking that this might be more trouble and work than it is worth and will just do the one piece sashing, knowing me will not get the seams straight and have a mess. Just a thought and I thank you for all of your responses, it helps.

Blog Entries
    My suggestion is if you're using three strips, sew the top to the middle strip in one direction, then sew the bottom to the middle strip in the opposite direction. This also helps eliminate waves.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Does anyone have any pictures of quilts with the sashing made out of this kind of sashing, sometimes if I see it, I get a better idea of if it is something that would even look good on the quilt I am doing?? Thanks for the info.

I love triple sashing. It's about the only sashing I do. You can do three different colors so that every other block is framed by a different color or you can do two color. If I do two color sashing I use 9 patches for cornerstones so it looks like it weaves in the cornerstones. Let me know if you want me to dig out some samples and take pics for you.

Thank you scissor queen, that was my next question about using cornerstones, I have been doing some searching but yet to find a photo of a quilt with the different color sashing. Thanks.

I took pics of the three tops I have with triple sashing. They're all UFOs at the moment.

Anyway, first is triple sashing with 9 patch cornerstones.

Name:  DSCN2359sm.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  62.3 KB

Next is triple sashing with a contrasting cornerstone.

Name:  DSCN2361sm.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  100.0 KB

Last is three color sashing with a solid cornerstone.

Name:  DSCN2364sm.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  68.5 KB

Two of the quilts are also low contrast, blended quilts.

Thank you scissor queen, I really like all of your quilts, the one though, that catches my eye is the first one with the nine patch cornerstones, that is lovely. You should change their status from ufo to finished quilt, they are too lovely not to be out and admired. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by judylg View Post
    Thank you scissor queen, I really like all of your quilts, the one though, that catches my eye is the first one with the nine patch cornerstones, that is lovely. You should change their status from ufo to finished quilt, they are too lovely not to be out and admired. Thanks again.
    The first one with the 9 patch cornerstones will probably get finished before too long. The last one won't get finished for a while though since it's for my bed and right now I have a long haired, black cat. She's 18 though and has gone blind and is in the beginning stages of kidney failure. The middle one will probably stay a UFO for a while though.

The one you plan on finishing now is my favorite, they are all nice. I am so happy I do not have pets in the house anymore. lol

Just a quick question, how wide were the strips that you cut for the sashing? I know they are not too wide. Or think anyways. Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by judylg View Post
    Does anyone have any pictures of quilts with the sashing made out of this kind of sashing, sometimes if I see it, I get a better idea of if it is something that would even look good on the quilt I am doing?? Thanks for the info.
    Garden Maze is done this way. Here is one I finished recently using orphan blocks from an old swap.

Name:  Lucy-quilt.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  1.78 MB

I did as others suggested. Sew one strip to the center going one direction and the other strip from the opposite direction. I also starched my fabric before cutting--heavily. I need to buy stock in Stay-flo & Niagra!
    Beverly

Made a queen sized plaid with scrappy sewn on diagonal on paper blocks and triple sashing with nine patch cornerstones. It turned out wonderfully. I think the author was Evelyn Sloppy in her Strips and Strings book.

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
    you can, but you have to be VERY accurate with your seams or it will look wavy!
    Yes, it can make a really great look. But, like Jaci said, your seams have to be super straight or it looks wonky. I know from experience! LOL!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca